Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Disney - Magic Kingdom

So, this is happening...

It's only a weekend trip and we're only doing Magic Kingdom and probably Downtown Disney. It's my first time at Disney World and my friend hasn't been in ages, so any getting around tips would be appreciated!

We'll have a car, but I'd rather not drive around if Disney transit is available. We're staying at Port Orleans on-site.

We have a Fast Pass set-up for the rides my friend doesn't want to miss. Any tips for picture taking? I'd rather not bring my large camera, but will bring my cell phone.

Any tips on Magic Kingdom would be greatly appreciated since we'll only be there for one day.

TIA!

Last edited by catgoddess; 03-14-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I just stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in November. There is Disney transportation to both Magic Kingdom (bus - +- 15 minutes transit time) and Downtown Disney (boat). I believe the first bus stop for POR (there are 4) is where checkin is. If it's not too long of walk from your room, that might a good choice for getting on the bus. As it goes around to the other parts of the resort, it can start to get crowded.

I'm not sure Memory Maker would probably be a good purchase for you. It's $169 if you purchase it a minimum of three days before you use it, $199 otherwise. Memory Maker entitles you to download any PhotoPass photos taken on your trip in a 30 day period (the 30 days starts from when you first download). That includes photos taken by Photopass photographers as well as any ride photos or photos taken at a meal. You can also purchase individual photos at a cost of $15.99 each. Disney photographers will take photos with your camera or phone, however.

If you are interested in the Magic Shots, only the photographers who are not using a tripod can do them. Some times they'll offer to do Magic Shots, sometimes, they'll ask. Some of the magic shots and the ride photo on Seven Dwarfs Mine train also include an animation. In order to get those, you do have to have Memory Maker.

I'm not sure what your dates are but a reservation Be Our Guest could be pretty hard to get. Both lunch and dinner are now reservations. I know even at 180 out when I was making my plans the reservation was impossible to get. I was only able to have lunch there because, at the time, they were still doing a trial of a fastpass for lunch there for resort guests only. They've since discontinued that.

After you use the initial three fastpasses that you can book in advance, you can book additional fastpasses at kiosks in the park. From the 4th FP on, each time you use it (or your window expires), you can book another.

Since your staying at a Disney resort, you'll have Magic Bands. Those will work for you room key, park tickets, fast passes, photopass (if you have any taken), and also to charge back to your room.

Did you set up any dining reservations? Boatwright's Dining Hall at Port Orleans Riverside was good when we ate there. It servers New Orleans cooking. My sister had the Boatwright's Jambalya and I had Sassagoula Short Ribs and we both enjoyed our meals.

We did three character breakfasts that were in/near Magic Kingdom: Chef Mickey's (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy) at the Contemporary, Crystal Palace (Winnie the Pooh and Gang) in Magic Kingdom, and 'O'hana (Lilo & Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto) at the Polynesian. Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace were buffets. 'O'hana was served family style.

Other than lunch at Be Our Guest, the only dinner we did in that area was the buffet at 1900 Park Fair at The Grand Floridian. That was also a character meal with Cinderlla, Prince Charming, the stepmother and stepsisters (all three are an absolute hoot...so much fun).

In case you're curious about the ride videos, animated Magic Shots, and Magic Shots, here are a couple of examples:

Magic shot with Lumiere:

The same shot animated: http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...pssf1mgsav.mp4

7 Dwarfs Mine Train video: http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...psqaiojuhr.mp4

The information from Disney regarding Memory Maker is here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pl.../memory-maker/

I used my DSLR everyday except the day we went to Downtown Disney (and wished I had). I can't think of any real tips for picture taking though besides more is better than less. Better to have to weed out what you don't want than wish you'd got just that certain shot.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Go to the disboards.com

There are so many experts there. I think there is even a forum devoted to disney photography.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside and liked it a lot. You can ride the bus to the parks but it's a huge resort so you may want to see if there's a bus stop closer to your room than the front (there was for us). Its also one of the few resorts that has a boat you can take to Downtown Disney which was really fun and a nice change from the bus.

For photos, you don't have to buy a photo pass for the cast members to take your photo. If you let them take a photo pass photo, they'll often offer to take a photo with your own camera too.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I would not splurge on the photopass if I where you. That is a lot of money for three days. But let them take pictures of you and ask if they want to take one with your phone as well. They will put the photopass pictures on a card (maybe on the magic band by now?) but you won't have to buy them. Also put the ride photo's on you account. We had bought a photopass cause we where there for 15 days but the ride photo's where send for free as well as a gift.

Be sure to use the Fastpass+ and put the app on you phone so you can change the times at the moment for less waiting time. We where at the front of the attraction. Changed it to the current time and could walk straight in. I would also suggest, if you like characters... make a very early reservation for a Crystal Palace breakfast with Winnie the pooh and friends. They will let you go in the park before opening time wich will lenghten your day and you get to take fab shots of the castle without herds of people. Also it is a very nice breakfast buffet.

And stay for whises fireworks. It's magical!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all so much for these tips. They're so, so helpful. Never having been before and only there for the weekend, the insider tips are essential so we can maximize our fun without overspending on silly stuff.

xoxo
Old 03-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Here's a few things I've learned over the years.

Go early and go directly to the hotel. When you check in your room might not be ready, but you can request a parking pass. The bus transportation to the parks is easy to use, but can sometimes take awhile. If you decided you'd rather drive or you want to check out other hotels,etc having the parking pass will make it easier. Plus you can park at MK for free. The bus, however, will get you closer to the entrance of the park.

If you like the Winnie the Pooh characters and want to do a pretty nice late lunch/early dinner we book the Crystal Palace around 2:45 or whatever their last lunch slot is. You pay the lunch price but you end up getting the dinner food. At about 3pm the parade starts. So the characters have to go to the parade. They also start switching to dinner food then. So you can eat without character interruption (it's not as busy so it's easier to navigate). Then when it's time for some dessert the characters are back and you can interact without getting up and down from eating. Also, it's all the refills you want on drinks. So this is the one time during the day we lemonade or iced tea, milk for the kids b/c you can have as much as you want. They will also give you a coffee or hot tea to take with you. So if you need some mid-day caffeine it gives you a boost.

Night parade. If you are going to stay the later one is generally less crowded. The first parade goes from Splash Mountain (back of the park) around past the Castle to the front of the park. Then the second parade goes the other way. So if you are looking to exit the park after the parade the second parade is going in the opposite direction of everyone else trying to leave. This means you aren't trying to walk through people who are still watching the parade.

If you have anyone who is handicapped you can sit in the handicapped areas on the parade route. Even if you just rent a wheelchair for the day. There are some awesome locations in Liberty Square to watch the parades and they often don't fill up too early. I also take a towel or blanket to keep our spot on the parade route. Day time parades can be hot and you can burn your butt on the pavement. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

A few things I don't *think* have been mentioned (though I'm sleep deprived today, so I may have missed it):

As for the Photopass, if you go to easywdw.com or other similar sites, there are usually Memory Maker Sharing groups you can get it on, which are perfect for people like you who are only there for a few days.

Also, you can take a boat from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney, and the ride is really nice and relaxing - a welcome change from the buses! Hope you have an amazing time!

ETA: Sorry, just realized Lynnette already posted about the boat to DtD!

Last edited by kendallt; 03-16-2015 at 12:10 PM.