Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Freezing Meals

I know a lot of you girls freeze meals. We love to as well, but I'm wondering what type of storage items you all use. We use BPA-free plastic containers, but they don't always keep a good seal and can get freezer burned or worse-let smells out.

How do you store your frozen meals so they keep a good seal?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I don't actually store complete meals - I do the ready to serve stew and store it in a freezer ziploc bag. If it's a burrito type item, then wrapped tightly in foil and slip that into a freezer ziploc bag.

Maybe there are tips on once a month meals?

http://onceamonthmeals.com/category/...s/get-started/
Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we use a food saver, so everything is vacuum sealed
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

(Generic) Ziplock bags here. We use that Pinterest trick for filling a frosting bag, and drape the bag over a container like a trash bag, pour it in, and then seal. We make sure to freeze them flat and then we can store them standing up in baskets and flip through them like records.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I freeze in glass and zip top bags.

If it's an uncooked layered or 'built' casserole, I line the casserole dish in foil, build the casserole, stick it in the freezer, pull it out when frozen, take it out of the dish and then doulbe/triple wrap the casserole in foil, then plastic wrap. If I did 8x8 sizes which I tend to do (and just use 2 for a meal), I can then stick it in a large zip top bag to prevent anything from getting in our out.

Then when I'm ready to cook it, I unwrap all but the last layer, put it into the casserole dish, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then cook.

If it's something that I can just put in a bag and doesn't need to be built, I just put it all into a zip top bag, lay it flat, freeze it, then stack like albums in the freezer. It's the only time I use plastic to store things any longer.

If it's something I know is going in for long-term (2 months or more), I vacuum seal it. I have a Rival sealer that I use that works great. I even use it to vacuum pack jars - I ♥ it!

Depending on how quickly I turn it around to eat, I tend to just use my glass pyrex and rubbermaid glass dishes and stack those.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We wouldn't freeze longer than a month since we're just using our fridge/freezer, not a deep freeze. It's not so big. I'm going to try the Ziploc bags/foil first and see if that helps our problems before investing in a vacuum sealer (which looks awesome).

xoxo