Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Fall in Florida

I posted this on Facebook, but I know there are a lot of long-time Florida girls here. We've only been here a year and I'm a bit skeptical...

Is Fall foliage truly possible? I've seen some pretty pics in my AAA mag of the Torreya area in the panhandle, but when I look online, they're less than impressive. An article I read recommends the drive along I-75 from Tampa north to Lake City, the I-10 corridor, and Torreya State Park.

I know certain trees will change, but we want to see a view, not a few trees.

Has anyone been to those places in early November and really seen a view? I want to have some hope.

Thanks!
xoxo
Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am down in Palm Beach County, so we rarely see any change in the trees. Only the occasional tree (there's not many of them) will have a hint of change... and that's only if we get a cold snap over several days. I have heard that up north this happens more but it's hardly a view of all fall colors. There will always be green.

For me, the beauty of fall is the cold nip in the air coming ever slowly, the wind picking up, the excitement of the holidays. It's a different experience, seasons in Florida. Don't lose hope!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOL - you are not going to get pretty fall foliage anywhere between Tampa and Gainesville before January (then it's winter foliage right?). Perhaps in the Panhandle where there are different kinds of trees and the weather gets a little colder. The leaves do change a little, but it's not pretty like up North.

I live in Tampa, went to college in Gainesville and we go to the Northeast every few years just to see real fall foliage.

I hope that helps. You can still get some fallish looking photos if you don't want a variety of color but it will be Thankgiving and later, unless it get cold early this year.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I knew that author was pulling my chain about early Nov. lol We're going back up North to take in some foliage in October, but when I saw that article, I thought maybe...

We're in the Tampa area, too, on the coast. I think I saw a couple yellow trees last year. haha
Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoddess View Post
I knew that author was pulling my chain about early Nov. lol We're going back up North to take in some foliage in October, but when I saw that article, I thought maybe...

We're in the Tampa area, too, on the coast. I think I saw a couple yellow trees last year. haha
I was just up there. My BIL lives in Dunedin. We went to Honeymoon Island park... the beaches there are amazing.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not gonna lie to you, fall leaves are few and far between here. I've lived in Orlando all my life and we really rarely get them. It will get cooler (I promise) but the nice orange and red colors really aren't seen much. It's pretty much green and brown.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I was just up there. My BIL lives in Dunedin. We went to Honeymoon Island park... the beaches there are amazing.
We live in Dunedin, too! Small world. Honeymoon is one of our favorite beaches. I like to walk along the beach to the tip of the island. It's so peaceful.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We live in Dunedin, too! Small world. Honeymoon is one of our favorite beaches. I like to walk along the beach to the tip of the island. It's so peaceful.
Craziness! We were very close to moving there ourselves, the company DH & BIL work for moved up to Tampa. One thing I noticed was the traffic! It is so busy around there... definitely a different vibe than South FL.

We ate at Joe's Crab Shack when we were in town... have you ever eaten there? SO yummy!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Jenn - I probably live 20 minutes from you. We should plan to meet for lunch sometime if you're interested. We love to go to Dunedin for dinner and sunset, or whatever fun thing they have in the park (like the pipe band).

Brook - the traffic is only crazy in certain spots. In most of the more residential areas it's not as bad. I commute to all parts of the Tampa Bay area for work on a daily basis and rarely have a problem getting anywhere unless I'm driving at rush hour - then it's crazy. Not too much different than I-95 going south down to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. When we lived in Wellington the traffic from Wellington to West Palm on Southern was crazy. Is it better now?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Joe's isn't bad. It's a chain, I think. The traffic gets worse in the winter when the birds arrive, too. The 60 where Joe's is located is always a hot mess. We avoid it during Spring break along with the rest of Clearwater. hehe It might be a bit better once they're done with construction.

Island Outpost isn't bad either. It's on the causeway going out to Honeymoon. We also like Cafe Alfresco in downtown Dunedin. They're both worth trying next time you're up! Kelly's downtown has yummy brunch, too.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
Jenn - I probably live 20 minutes from you. We should plan to meet for lunch sometime if you're interested. We love to go to Dunedin for dinner and sunset, or whatever fun thing they have in the park (like the pipe band).

Brook - the traffic is only crazy in certain spots. In most of the more residential areas it's not as bad. I commute to all parts of the Tampa Bay area for work on a daily basis and rarely have a problem getting anywhere unless I'm driving at rush hour - then it's crazy. Not too much different than I-95 going south down to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. When we lived in Wellington the traffic from Wellington to West Palm on Southern was crazy. Is it better now?
That would be awesome! I've wanted to arrange a meet-up for a bit, but we've traveled a lot the past year. Should be more calm in 2014.

Traffic is definitely a lot worse on the other side of Tampa Bay and rush hour is a mess.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Joe's isn't bad. It's a chain, I think. The traffic gets worse in the winter when the birds arrive, too. The 60 where Joe's is located is always a hot mess. We avoid it during Spring break along with the rest of Clearwater. hehe It might be a bit better once they're done with construction.

Island Outpost isn't bad either. It's on the causeway going out to Honeymoon. We also like Cafe Alfresco in downtown Dunedin. They're both worth trying next time you're up! Kelly's downtown has yummy brunch, too.
Oh, thanks! My BIL & SIL don't eat out much at table service restaurants so we didn't have any clue where to go. We are huge fans of shellfish, so we picked Joe's. We will definitely be back to visit them in Dunedin, so I'll have to remember your suggestions.

Julie, I live east... in the area of Boca Raton. Commuting East to West around here is a nightmare, but 1-95 isn't too bad. I think it's just the feel of the highway being above you in Tampa that makes it feel more congested? Not sure.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Pfft. This thread is making me smile.

There's no such thing as fall in Florida. Unless it's February. Then the live oaks might dump all their dead, brown leaves on the grass. Ugh. I hate that. LOL!

And Tampa busier than South Florida?! OMGsh. No way. Tampa reminds me of South Florida with all it's traffic. And I mean South Florida... like Dade/Broward South Florida. Totally crowded. Ugh. I could not live in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Waaay too busy for me.

If you all want to meet up for lunch, I'm totally game! Just let me know. Tuesdays and Fridays my husband works from home and I can leave all the kiddos here.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
One of my closest friends moved to Dunedin a couple years ago! They come back to Maine every summer for 2 months and then for a long weekend in early October. We're hoping to visit them down there during December break this year
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Another native Floridian here. We usually go to GA or AL to see the leaves...nothing here in Central Florida. I'm just outside of Lakeland. I just get excited by temps in the 70s. LOL!

We really do need a meetup sometime with so many of us here.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post

If you two meet without me I might shoot you both! I was telling Jenn, it seems like Spring here is Fall cause everything seems to turn brown over night in like Feb and then blow away lol then in a week its all green again
Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post

We really do need a meetup sometime with so many of us here.
YES.... this! and with ALLLLLL the kids! lol Fun would be had I tell ya!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I read that article in my AAA mag and then found a few online, I really thought, gosh, did I miss something about Florida last year? They really have a fall here? Yeaaaaaaaah Not so much. Lies. All lies. lol

We definitely need to plan a meet-up!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in Panama City and we only get a little, but it's very late. Not sure you'll see it in November. Seems like it's usually December. Torreya isn't far from here - I've never been but have heard it's beautiful.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

...lives in New England where Fall is like a story book...
Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We just moved to Gainesville this summer, but being from the Houston area, we're used to weather similar to this already. I'm not gonna lie... I would have a way hard time dealing with a northern winter, so I'll deal with the hot summers, get in the water a lot, and then love October through May But from here I figure now I could drive up to see some real fall color in Georgia or Alabama? Anyone have suggestions, I'd love to hear them! We've already been to Orlando a couple of times because took the kids to Disney, but the Tampa/St.Pete area is on our list to get to, especially the beach. Nice to hear who all are Florida girls
Old 09-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I'm just outside of Gainesville and we dont ever see the orange leaves