Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default A facebook observation...

You know how you haven't seen people you went to high school and college with in like 20+ years...and so you still have this image of them in your head of how they looked then..all young and good looking and all that? And you're all going though life in your late 30's thinking..I still look pretty good..I haven't aged THAT much. And then you get a friend request from that guy in high school who was SO hot and you click on his profile pic and he's now got a beer belly and grey hair and you wouldn't have even recognized him if you saw him on the street. And your first thought is holy cow he got OLD. And then after a few seconds your blurred impressions of how well you yourself are aging come raging up in front of you and you look in the mirror and all you see are the gray hairs that need touching up and the wrinkles that didn't used to be there and you think...holy cow. I got OLD too!!!

So thanks facebook for that great big self esteem kick in the gut this morning

Last edited by nikkiARNGwife; 02-16-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes, but I will take the gray hairs and wrinkles because the 30s are waaaaaaaay better than high school!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
Yes, but I will take the gray hairs and wrinkles because the 30s are waaaaaaaay better than high school!
So true. In a perfect world we could have the bodies we had then with the life we have now

Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL!!

Actually, for me, FB has helped. My friends who were all so skinny and beautiful, they have their flaws now, just like me. But I do have a hard time reconciling what I remember with what is reality now, when I see some people from those years. Some that I will never see IRL, will probably still remain as I remember them...especially if they don't post a lot of photos on FB.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

In some ways it's a bummer to realize how age has crept up on us... but in other ways, it's quite satisfying to see the "perfect" people from High School looking schlumpy. LOL.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
So true. In a perfect world we could have the bodies we had then with the life we have now
Exactly!!!!!!! LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree, when you keep in touch with people over the years, you see the progression ... at reunions or via FB, you don't ... so it's a total shock! I went to my reunion this last summer and FB actually took a lot of the "edge" off seeing people in-person for the first time in years. You pretty much already know what they do for a living, how they've aged, if they are married, have kids, etc ... I keep trying to tell myself that age is relative ... but I guess on some level, I don't believe it 100%.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This!

I actually don't really feel like a grown up most days... let alone 31. When I was at the hairdresser recently, she commented 'wow, you have no grays at all!', and I was thinking, wow, do I really look old enough to have grays already??? (*snicker* it's a small satisfaction to me that my little sister has lots, and I have none)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Yeeeeeeeh.. there are two boys in particular that i chuckle @ everytime i see their profiles. They were so pretty when we were younger. One got fat and just gross.. and the other...........the other is balding. I'm turning 30 in 1 month.. I like to see how old and fat everyone else is getting Esp, bc it's a nice friendly reminder that no, their lives aren't really perfect either
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i <3 facebook for this very reason. (with old friends from HS) it's my own little 'neener neener'

Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
i <3 facebook for this very reason. (with old friends from HS) it's my own little 'neener neener'
Yes!! This!!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I feel the same way a lot of times. LOL

Its funny because I have some high school friends who look EXACTLY like they did in high school after (shh... don't tell but this year will make 20 years since my graduation!) so many years and then there are so many more that look nothing like I would expect them to. It kind of surprises me how many of the athletic people let themselves go though, just not what I would expect. I see guys I remember having pretty big crushes on and think to myself that I'm pretty thankful I didn't end up with them.

I suppose I'm pretty lucky... I am the same size I was in high school (I've been a LOT smaller and I've been bigger too but I'm right where I was then) and I don't have a lot of greys (whites in my case actually) and I actually look better than I did then because I'm not as dorky now. LOL I'm probably still not what people expect to see though.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I saw photos of my 25th high school reunion, which I missed like all the other ones, on Facebook & my first thought was "Why were all my friends' parents at the reunion?"

Then it hit me.

Ohio Valley Male Pattern Baldness has struck 85% of the men and most of the women had the exact same frosted hair/highlights their moms' did back in the 80s.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
word.

That's funny though about the reality check.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had my 20 year reunion in October and it was definitely eye opening. I came away feeling pretty good about myself, which is a miracle considering that I was always very shy, quiet, and didn't feel like I fit in. But, there are definitely days that I look at myself and wonder where in the heck those wrinkles came from.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Love you Laura - SOOOOO True!!!

I had this HUGE crush on this guy all through HS and I LOVE looking at his FB Page and thinking THANK YOU LORD for unanswered prayers

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love when my mom friends someone from her high school years on facebook. There was one girl she went to high school with who was SO straight-laced, always dressed modestly, hair always in place (kind of like a Bree from Desperate Housewives type). Now, she's covered in full sleeve tattoos, dyed black hair, and is barely clothed in any of her photos.

It's amazing how people change.

I, on the other hand, have been out of high school for 6 years. I no longer talk to most of my high school friends (I talk to two of them- one has been my best friend for forever, and the other is a girl I've known most of my life). However, most of the people that were in the popular crowd in high school STILL hang out with each other- which surprised me! For most of the school, going off to college meant that we made new friends, but this one group all applied to the same school so they could stay together. It was kind of a shock to see that they'd all kind of stuck together the past 6 years!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Where is the growth in sticking with the same people for all that time? It almost sounds like they are afraid to break up the clique and broaden their people horizons.

I don't have much contact with the people I went to school with and I'm okay with it. The few I am still in touch with are life long friends and we can pick up right where we left off no matter how much time has passed.

As to facebook, I just started using it and only have a few friends, but I am okay with that too. I mostly signed up just so that I could share my scrap pages with my family. I did have my least favorite cousin ask to be my friend and I said no. We didn't get along as children, teenagers or young adults. I don't think that's gonna change now, but boy oh boy did my refusal cause a little chatter. Technology is so fun. LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
AMEN!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just had our 25th reunion last year and, while I didn't go to it, when I went to Facebook nearly all of them looked the same, only a little more "weathered" and with kids. Some of them are even thinner than they were in school. I'm one of the very few that "blossomed" to a much bigger size since then.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Boy that is soooooooooooooo true, but the hardest part for me is to see my friends that I went to high school with who are my age posting pics of their grandbabies!! Yep my friends are old enough to be grandmothers. That was one wake up call I did not want to answer. :P
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Bennett View Post
Boy that is soooooooooooooo true, but the hardest part for me is to see my friends that I went to high school with who are my age posting pics of their grandbabies!! Yep my friends are old enough to be grandmothers. That was one wake up call I did not want to answer. :P
Oh ya!!! - Here with you!!!!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland