Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM
Default Christmas big ticket items?

So what's the one high priced thing your kids are getting this year? We usually get one big ticket item and then a few other things. I'm finding that as she gets older the price keeps going up

This year it's Nintendo DS.

facebook
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea yet.

Last year all three of mine got a Nintendo DS.

Then for birthday's this year.........a Wii.

Guess I should be asking them, huh?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

From us - accessories for the Wii they are getting from my mom

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well my DS's bday is next Tuesday, he is getting an XBOX 360 but it's also going to be part of his xmas gift so he'll only get small things for xmas this year.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

we did nintendo ds's christmas of 2006 and the kids adore them!

lukas is getting a guitar. a real one. mason is getting an mp3 player, i think. not sure about maddie yet. we'll do a couple other items along with stockings and that's it.

Last edited by lizzyfizzy; 10-22-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

For my daughter -- a wii fit and an ipod. For my son -- the newest Guitar Hero and then $$.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my mom usually buys the "big ticket" item for the kids because I can't afford it.
I know she got Anthony a DS & a game. She hasn't found anything for Ellie yet.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nicholas is getting a wooden train set and table for it as his big present.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I got Ava a Leappad Clickstart video game system. It looks like a little computer mouse and keyboard, she is obsessed with my computer...wonder why? LOL She will be 2 1/2 by Christmas and the system is for 3-8 so I hope she will get some good use out of it.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

A DS for Derrick hopefully and Rhett is still so little so he won't know the difference....

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Who knows....my kids never really ask for big things...crap they are happy with like books and stuff. We were looking at the Wii and Nintendo DS games last night and both girl's names a few they liked so we might get them those.

DS did see this new Fisher-Price Ultimate Dinosaur but at $129 bucks I DON'T THING SO!!! It's to easily trash able (even though it was stinking cute!!!)!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

We're getting a Wii for our family. Cameron *might* get an ipod. We'll see.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I keep trying to get DS interested in an Nintendo DS or Sony PSP (b/c I could play with it ) but dang it he shows zero interest. I think DS wants a Lego freight train set. DD . . . hmm, don't know. She'd probably be happiest with more books since she is very into reading right now.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

DD will probably get a pretty envelope full of gift certificates. She loves to shop and is at that age where she wants to shop for clothes and jewelry so I will probably go mall hopping and grab a bunch of cards.

DS is probably getting his first shotgun. I know that sounds like a really bad parent but he is really into hunting with DH and wants to take his hunter's safety course so we will probably do something along those lines.

DD2...I have no idea yet. Probably a big set of Barbies. She's a hard one to shop for.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kaylie has asked for a Nintendo DS and both girls want another American Girl doll (plus most of the other stuff in the huge AG catalog we got in the mail yesterday), but the way things are going here $$-wise all of those are going to be out for this year. Kaylie's birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas so I told her she could ask her many grandparents for cash/gift cards and she could hopefully get enough to buy a DS and she seemed to like that idea!

Other than those items they want Bratz Magic Haircolor dolls or the Bratz Girls Really Rock dolls and then all the Barbie & the Diamond Castle dolls (there are about 10 total) so that is probably what they'll get. Kyle is only 18mo so he's pretty easy to shop for! So far I'm looking at the Little People Spin 'n Crash Raceway & Race 'n Load Car Carrier for him along with a Tonka truck and some more of the little Wheel Pals cars he likes.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel's 3rd bday party is this weekend, and hubby bought her a big Thomas the Tank Engine set...she LOVES trains right now.
We're getting her big girl bed next month, so I'll be redecorating her room, so there's quite a few bucks being spent on her right there.
For Christmas, I really don't know. She hasn't gotten that figured out, and doesn't know to expect gifts, and she needs absolutely nothing. We'll probably end up getting her a nice big baby doll and baby bed and some more Thomas stuff, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think we're doing the Wii thing this year... that is if we can get one at the PX. They never have enough, so whenever they get a shipment, they hold a raffle... if your name is drawn, you get to buy one. UGH!

Both girls want one of those My Twin Dolls but I'm not sure we're willing to fork out that kind of money for a doll.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

not sure. depends on what we can afford I suppose. We do not spend alot. Total per child (we have three) is no more then 100 dollars and that includes the "big gift"

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Interesting how most of our big ticket items tend to be electronics. Same goes for us, the older boys are getting mp3 players. I want to get a Wii but DH thinks it's a waste of money. Not sure for Avery. He is too young to care so he may get more practical things, like clothes.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not sure this year because I don't know how much spending money we will have, if any. My hubby's job is losing more and more business so less work for him.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Well, the BIG big ticket things usually come from the Santa that vists my mom's house. LOL

but from us, they are each either getting this or this.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

the middle son (7) is getting a DS, the baby (4) is getting the Leapster 2. Still not sure what to get my 16 yr old. He eats out for lunch so I told him I was getting him a bunch of gift cards to fast food restraunts LOL

Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mama-to-Elle

Elles big gift is gonna be a Play Kitchen, but she is only 18 months, so she doesnt require $200 electronics yet.. LOL!!
I am kinda a shopohilic, so she will prob still have too many gifts...
The ever FABULOUS Lauren Grier
Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyofphoenix07

Elmo Live. Hehe. He's barely gonna be one. It's sick, but I think it's more for me. I'm way too easily amused. I saw it at Walmart and about flipped for it. I was in love with him! But that's for his birthday and I don't know what prices qualify for big ticket items, he won't care either way. I don't even think they make big ticket items for his age...though I saw a really cute set I liked for him in the Fisher Price book. Um. You don't wanna know how much we're spending on a child that won't even remember we're a)new parents, b) over zealous, c)pending divorce so separate presents and then there's the fact that he's the first grandchild in my side of the family and on soon to be ex-DH's he's the first male (off by only a month from being first overall) so they're all head over heels for him. This child will probably get an overfull Christmas.

I'm a doter. What can I say. And as a single mommy I have a mind to think this will be his last really big one so we're doing all we can.

P.S. Elmo Live has already been bought would be my definition of overzealous. Bought it the day after I learned of it. Sick and sad. Siiiick and sad.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no clue - it doesn't get any easier as they get older. My oldest will be 18 in 3 weeks. My next oldest is 15. I may give in and give them money or gift cards. It's just so hard to figure out what to give them in the times where kids get big ticket items at a young age.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My older 2 are getting a Nintendo DS, and the toddler is getting (maybe) a train table. We'll still have to see.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nothing no big items...can't afford it...he is only three so he won't care...hehe
Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Neither of my girls are getting big ticket items this year, they are just getting stuff that's like $30 and under. Barbies, Bratz, Baby Dolls, etc. oh and DD2 wants a Bakugan?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

We got my daughter a Leapster 2 (she is 3.5) so that will be her big item, and then I have a few other things picked out for her. I am going to get her a necklace I found on etsy.... she is the girly-girliest little lady you would ever meet and loves her some bling already! LOL! It is a little expensive for a kid necklace, but she is really careful when I tell her to be so I am going to get it anyway. Plus, it goes on sale on Friday, so I will be purchasing then:

Linkage:http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=16141287

robin

Last edited by robinforman; 10-22-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We took the kids to Disney World, and I plan to milk that for all it's worth, lol.

My dd7 wants a Nintendo DS, but it is more than we spend for Christmas. Santa is bringing her a disney mix stick mp3, so hopefully that will satisfy the techy "big ticket" requirement. Dd4 doesn't really want a "big ticket" toy, she just want everything she sees. Fun, fun!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Rae...we're not sure.

Amelia is getting a homemade American Girl doll house...Tony is making it for her, he has the bottom and hardwood floor done so far. He needed something to do with his time LOL. So to go with that, I ordered her a few things from American Girl, and the Doll of the Year because she's a skating doll. But it's for her, not me. Really.

Benjamin, we're getting him a new tower for his computer. He's using our 7 year old ancient computer, and it's just not doing the job anymore. Our computer guy has parts and stuff and can do it for pretty cheap. Anything is better than what he has there now, it locks up during start up and there aren't even any programs on it, it's just SO old and feeble.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

[QUOTE=newfiemountiewife;271515]Rae...we're not sure.

Amelia is getting a homemade American Girl doll house...Tony is making it for her, he has the bottom and hardwood floor done so far. He needed something to do with his time LOL. So to go with that, I ordered her a few things from American Girl, and the Doll of the Year because she's a skating doll. But it's for her, not me. Really.
[QUOTE]

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea. Really, none. *sigh*

The girls both have a ds already and we have a wii. I'd love to get them a computer for their room but there's really just nowhere to put it so that's probably out. A laptop might work though. Hm. I'm going to have to start thinking - and fast!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

hahah Sara and I were discussing the Doll of the Year for you Jamie last night! I've ordered the DOTY since '05 (I think)

I got Nic and Cam each an American Doll (Felicity and Elizabeth) and I ordered the doll of the year also...

Gonna get NIc and Jase both an ipod nano I think (or see if grandparents will lol)

Ryleigh and Teaghan are too young to care for big ticket. They will just get some toys and dolls and stuff.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We don't get into the big ticket stuff when it's brand new. We don't have a wii and thankfully, our kids didn't and still don't want one. LOL

Oldest DD wants an iPod which she's getting and some money to buy herself some tunes. Youngest DD wants a TV for her room and we're getting her a TV/DVD combo and DS wants a new neck for his electric guitar and driver's education classes. LOL He's 15 1/2 and in Nevada they can learn to drive at 15 1/2. Ugh! LOL

We are also getting rid of our PC and buying another iMac for the kids to use. That will bring us to three and make us a 100% Mac house with no more PC.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

mp3 players!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
hahah Sara and I were discussing the Doll of the Year for you Jamie last night! I've ordered the DOTY since '05 (I think)
See, I knew you people gossiped about me LOL

This will be our first DOTY, and Amelia is going to completely freak when she sees it. She loves to skate, and will love this doll to pieces. She has Kit right now, and plays with her all the time.

I am REALLY stumped for Rae. She will be 4 in a couple of weeks, but she could care less about anything. Give her a box of markers and she's happy LOL
Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Annika is getting some Bitty Baby stuff...
http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...aleGroupId/276

Alex...well....he's 10. He already has the wii, his uncle got guitar hero last year and I got him rock band for his bday. He really wants a cell phone, but I'm not sure I want to go there. We might get him some things for his dirtbike though.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
DS did see this new Fisher-Price Ultimate Dinosaur but at $129 bucks I DON'T THING SO!!! It's to easily trash able (even though it was stinking cute!!!)!!!
Carter (will be 5 in Dec) is getting this for his b-day.
(he's HUGE into dinos - playing with them, reading about them, pretending/make believe with them)

For xmas maybe a Leapster 2 and a couple of games? - but I'm afraid that will be too baby-ish for him in a few months, so I'm pondering just going ahead and buying the DS (that way I can get a few games too - hahaha)

He's REALLY into stuff he shouldn't be - lol - I don't think he understands that "Santa" doesn't bring guns/swords/light sabers (just because mom won't buy them, doesn't mean that Santa automatically will either, buck-o)

Then I will have a 6 week old to buy for - I know, I know.... but with Carter being 5, I sort of have to make it look "real". Magic of the holidays and all.

Fan of:

Old 10-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a family, we'll be receiving a Wii from Santa. It's already in the closet, hidden in plain sight! DH and I were out shopping sans kids at the beginning of the month when I said, "Hey McFly, if they have a Wii today, would you buy one?" He hemmed and hawed a bit then finally said yes. Neither of us ever thought there'd be one in the store, but lo and behold, there it was. And it was ours. And it was good. (And yes, I really do call DH "McFly". Quite frequently as a matter of fact. )

JP wants XBox...he's just going to have to want, lol! Devin wants a DS...more dreaming. He's got to be 8 years old before he can have one (house rule), he'll be 6 next month. Anyway, they've both asked for a projection clock and movies. JP also wants new DS games and maybe some GameCube games (because he's so unaware of the Wii in the closet, lol!)

Other than the Wii and games, I have no idea. They both have birthdays coming too. D's is 11/18, JP's is 12/17. I have to plan for those as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think we're doing anything big individually--my girls will be 4 and 2 and don't care. Plus their birthdays are in the next couple of weeks, so it would be overload. I'm tired of big toys!

But, we do do a big family gift each year (mostly with money from the inlaws). Last year we got a trampoline. This year I think we're getting bikes for everyone! Dh and I don't have bikes anymore (haven't for YEARS) and my 4 year old would love one... then we'll get a trailer too to pull them in for family bike rides. I'm very excited.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
(And yes, I really do call DH "McFly". Quite frequently as a matter of fact. )

LMAO!!!

I call hubby Todd and he calls me Margo. Can you name that movie?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea yet. We have all the big game systems and they all have DS. I'd love to just get them each one fairly big thing and be done. But it never seems to work out that way. I always spend too much at Christmas and am never happy about it.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Keira's getting the Cool School Computer

I couldn't really think of a big ticket item to get her this year. I was planning on getting her a doll house for Christmas, but we ended up getting it for her birthday. Long story, I wanted to get her a playhouse and DH said no, so she got the dollhouse.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

[QUOTE=Mandy;271248]DS is probably getting his first shotgun. I know that sounds like a really bad parent but he is really into hunting with DH and wants to take his hunter's safety course so we will probably do something along those lines.
QUOTE]

Not at all Mandy. Some people just don't realize there's a sporting aspect to guns. My dad owns a gun shop and I own a couple myself. I'm not a hunter, I just like blowing up milk cartons and stuff LOL. No need to justify it to me, I've been around hunters and guns my entire lift. Much safer with them than on some streets in this country, for sure.

....hey, I could get you one at cost but the gas you'd spend driving down here probably wouldn't help LOL...

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 10-22-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DD will only be a year old at Christmas, so no big ticket stuff for her. But you bet my list is FULL of big ticket stuff I want for ME! lol.... Bind-it-all (the new PINK one), new EHD, PS CS4.... yadda yadda

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Leapster 2s for my twin boys...I got the Leapster 2s, hard cases for both, the charging station and the Wall E game all for $208. Nothing is cheap these days. Luckily I got a gig doing admin for a store so the $200 from that came in handy. I am about to get another $200 payment so I will use that to buy the boys bikes that I'll save for their 5th bday in April!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
LMAO!!!

Christmas Vacation? (was it National Lampoons?)

The Griswold's neighbors were Todd and Margo hehe

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My husband got his first shotgun at 10. My son got a muzzle loader of his own last year to go hunting with (prior to that he used his grandfathers) so not strange at all. We have been looking for my son to get one. He has to take the hunters safety course this year coming up so might be a present for his birthday next year. He will be 16 next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
DS is probably getting his first shotgun. I know that sounds like a really bad parent but he is really into hunting with DH and wants to take his hunter's safety course so we will probably do something along those lines.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
LMAO!!!

Is the fact that I know that's National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation a good thing or a bad thing?