Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2008, 05:25 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm
Default OT: Kindergarten Teacher Conference...

Okay so completely off topic!
But as a first time mom of a school aged kid I have a question.

We have parent/teacher conference this afternoon.
He does great in school, reads, writes, spells, loves math (i'm sure above average for his age)...

so that said... is there something we should be asking the teacher today at his conference?

background:
he goes full day
they just recently switched teachers (yeah.... )
they recently started sending homework home (like one worksheet a day)
he checks out a library book every wednesday and reads it to US atleast twice
I don't think he is being disruptive in class...

????

THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would ask what their schedule is like. what I could be doing at home with him to help with what they are doing in school. If there is anything that they could use in school. Youll have more questions that will come to mind when you get there and start talking. Another question would be what the teacher thinks are his weakpoints that need to be stressed maybe a little more. For my daughter it was being to bossy and uncooperative when working in groups. She worked better alone. For my middle son he was always really quiet in school. For my youngest well there was a whole list of stuff but we have slowly gotten it down to just a few

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The teacher might be able to give you insites into things you don't see at home - like how he plays with other children, emotional intelligence, things he is interested in learning about, how he responds to authority, things like that. Probably all you'll get is 'your child is a pleasure to have in my class' but if the teacher is really paying attention you might get to know something about your child that you didn't know before.

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 10-23-2008, 05:43 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

since he sounds above average for his age, I'd ask how they are going to challenge him. In my area, most kids in kindergarten don't read yet. Are they able to have him in a reading group that matches his ability? I'd be asking those questions for sure. (In fact they are on my list for my conference with my son's kindy teacher! LOL)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

juliebee70... I think I am in your area =)
(oregon...salem)

I think they are doing these reading centers and Ethan along w/ 2 girls in his class are all reading...so they are in their own little group as they go thru the centers I believe... I know previosly (sp) they have had a few kids move up to first grade for reading time, but they have struggled with spelling and keeping up... not sure if they will try it w/ Ethan or not??

I feel kind of bad, cuz it is only kindergarten, but he loves to learn and work on school stuff and I don't want him getting bored and I want to keep him ahead of the game if we can...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

from experience, normally if it's a kindy conference, they just go through the class and show you what they have been working on at school, what they have learned, show you the different centers, etc. Typically, it isn't that they are having difficulties or they are in trouble. lol That happens as they get in the higher grades. Again, from experience, if they hare having difficulties, they normally don't wait until conferences to discuss this with you, they will phone or connect with you when you drop off/pick child up, etc.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely be asking about his social interaction.

My {almost} 4 year old told me that his friend, Hanz, is not his friend anymore; she's Goiz' friend. When i asked him if he was Goiz's friend, too, he told me, "no, I love Ko Kai Yin". OH the drama of preK.