Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-27-2021, 05:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default New Year Plans

So what's everyone got planned for ringing in the new year? When I was a kid we just sat around watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve and snacking. I think we'll be playing VR and munching this year at home with an adult beverage or two. Nothing too wild planned but it should be fun. On the 1st we usually have a casual family dinner (my parents and sibs and their families).
Old 12-27-2021, 06:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Nothing too exciting for us. We'll be going to our friend's house for a small get together. A few drinks and some laughs.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ummm Scrapping…. Lol with 2 glasses of wine….ehh maybe 3 glasses…..
Old 12-27-2021, 06:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

BOARD GAMES!!!!!!!!!! AND DRINKS! I am even making a mocktail for Bianca!

Old 12-27-2021, 07:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's my little one's 18th birthday. We'll have take out and a quite night at home.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's our anniversary, so my mom planned her Christmas visit to be here until the 1st in case we want a date night. So, we're feeling a little bit obligated to go out to dinner or something, lol. We'll probably go get food a little early, then come home and just hang out.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am not planning anything. I find New Year's Eve to be stressful because the atmosphere at many parties and clubs I have been to always felt frantic and forced. Like if you didn't have a great time, the entire year was going to be bad. I've discovered that I enjoy a more quiet celebration with my family. I am also good with no celebration too. Letting it be just another day is so much more restful for me.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am hoping to find something to do. It appears that we may be without both children on NYE for the first time in 19 years and I don't want to waste it by sitting at home doing what we always do. LOL
Old 12-27-2021, 08:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My father-in-law has been hosting a New Years Eve radio show - this will be year 38... But they are talking about snow, so that might be taped like last year or my hubby will have to drive up early to tape the countdown. If there is snow, then we will do fondue and game night.

Fun fact... when I was a kid, I remember listening to a big band radio show with my grandpa on NYEs... who knew that I was listening to my future husband and father-in-law.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both of my teenagers want to go hang out with their friends whom they rarely get a chance to see. Their plans aren't definite yet, but I will probably be at home with just my hubby and 11-year-old son. We usually get seafood and make some fun appetizers, but my son doesn't even eat seafood so we may have to rethink that this year. The kids usually play a bunch of board games, but they may not all be here. The NYE shows on t.v. have gotten pretty bad, so maybe we can rent a movie or something instead. I'm not one for loud, New Year's Eve parties. We always host my family here on Christmas Eve, and that is hectic enough for an introvert like myself! LOL! My husband recently got a job at Amazon, and I'm not sure if he is working on New Year's Day or not. If he is, he will go to bed early because he starts at 2 am. We are some real party animals here!!

BTW, this was just my 1400 post!!
Old 12-27-2021, 10:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Fun fact... when I was a kid, I remember listening to a big band radio show with my grandpa on NYEs... who knew that I was listening to my future husband and father-in-law.
What a neat story! Hope there's a scrapbook page about that!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I will be watching Canada vs Finland at the IIHF World Juniors Hockey Tournament at 7 PM. The world could blow up around me, lol. If it hasn't then I will be watching the U.S vs Russia after it.

Probably go visit my parents, eat shrimp and play board games. Home and in bed by midnight or shortly thereafter. I am incredibly boring.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I will be watching Canada vs Finland at the IIHF World Juniors Hockey Tournament at 7 PM. The world could blow up around me, lol. If it hasn't then I will be watching the U.S vs Russia after it.

Probably go visit my parents, eat shrimp and play board games. Home and in bed by midnight or shortly thereafter. I am incredibly boring.
Any event that includes eating shrimp is exciting to me!!
Old 12-28-2021, 01:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
Any event that includes eating shrimp is exciting to me!!
that's what we did Boxing Day. . . . .New Year will be a repeat. Cold shrimp, sausage rolls and we just picked away, no 'dinner' we just munched all evening. I think it's perfect, lol.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:59 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

We will have the family (about 22 of us) here. The kids will swim all night and we will eat finger foods all night. There will be fireworks at 9pm and then again at midnight just a few streets away (at the beach) so we will watch them from our front garden and everyone will go home just after 12. We do the same thing every year but we love it.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That is such a fun story!

We have no plans. We're not big celebraters in general, so NYE is no different.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:12 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGeling View Post
We will have the family (about 22 of us) here. The kids will swim all night and we will eat finger foods all night. There will be fireworks at 9pm and then again at midnight just a few streets away (at the beach) so we will watch them from our front garden and everyone will go home just after 12. We do the same thing every year but we love it.
I'm so jealous that you live in Perth where it is relatively covid free. So many times I've wished Mark McGowan was the PM instead of WA Premier!
Old 12-28-2021, 11:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We usually ring it in with Newfoundland - which is 3.5 hours ahead of us ... and then anything past that is gravy lol I will likely be sleeping by midnight. My sister and her fam are here and that's their last night so will have supper with them and hang out, but not sure what else we will do.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:47 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I always stay home. I'll have college bowl games on TV all day and hopefully scrapping as well. I do usually watch the midnight countdown and ball drop in NYC then head to bed.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son is going to a lock-in, so, I have no idea. Hoping my husband wants to go out for supper and then just chill at home.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No big plans. We've been sick for the past week, so a quiet night at home sounds good! Maybe playing some board games, watching a movie, snack foods and then sparkling grape juice in fancy glasses at the stroke of midnight. We will probably watch the ball drop with the sound off (their entertainment annoys me) and have the laptop playing the fireworks at Disney.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No big plans. Making appetizers for the day, sparkling grape juice and probably movies, music, games.
I'll probably scrap and do some coloring with my Christmas gifts (new coloring book and color pencils)

Old 12-28-2021, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Usually we have a festive but very simple evening with my children and my sister at our parents' house.
In the evening, we set up a table with canapes, petits fours and little things to snack.
Often, we watch a concert broadcast before the fireworks display from the Eiffel Tower.
We take the opportunity to discuss and tell the latest celebrity gossip Lol.
At midnight we wish each other a happy new year and the next day, we have a good dinner to start the year well (especially don't make any diet resolutions that day).
This year, we are still very worried about the health situation and I think we will just have a dinner in the evening and the concert but no fireworks this year. All the festivities have been canceled because of the Covid.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Anymore, we usually just stay in. Before my mom moved in with us, we would go out to dinner, and then go home to watch movies and the New Year festivities on TV. The last couple of years, we've just stayed home.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We're supposed to ring the New Year with some friends and their families, we hired a beach house for a couple nights together for the past few years, but 2 days ago we got restrictions for home gathering down to 10 people
So we have to change plans because there are 16 of us altogether, now we have to split the group so some will stay back on New Years Eve and then go on NY day to swap with the rest.
We might just watch movies then fireworks from the beach, not far from home and go to sleep this year.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have one of those frozen Butterball turkey rolls that I will take out and make since we didn't do anything special for Christmas. My husband will probably watch tv afterwards and I'll probably do some scrapping then join him in watching the ball drop at midnight and then off to bed we will go! Not very celebratory, I know but we aren't big party goers so a quiet celebration is just the way we like it

Old 12-29-2021, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We will be flying back to TX...dropping the teen with the girlfriend. I will likely be asleep by 10pm or sooner just like in the past. I can't hang. LOL

I have had a head cold this past few days so all I want to do is sleep lately...
Old 12-29-2021, 11:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post

Guess your plans have changed now? Arrrrrgh. We had tickets to one game, then they changed the rules to 50% capacity and no eating, now cancelled the tournament ... Guessing Alberta will never get to host it again

Old 12-30-2021, 01:03 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Theres too much covid in our small town for us to consider going out. So me and the boy will have a movie night, and then once he goes to bed I'll go into mums room and watch the live NYE tv coverage with her.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Banned

profile gallery

This is also my plan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Old 12-30-2021, 03:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Usually, my oldest & I stay over at my sister's house but my sister's MIL is in town until the 1st so we're not doing that. My BF was planning on staying all weekend since we've been up in Frankenmuth this past week together but plans have changed so I'll drive back home tomorrow, pick up my kids, and then the kids and I will have pizza, watch a movie, play some of the new games they got for Christmas, drink sparkling apple juice, and have some snicky-snacks. I'm not sure I'll let my youngest stay up until midnight so maybe we'll have a pre-NYE celebration at 10 or so, and then my oldest and I will stay up to ring in the new year. I'm bummed that the traditional plans fell through & I won't be spending it with my BF but maybe this will be a fun new tradition for my family.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This year will be very low key for us since half of us are recovering from covid. So probably some tv, scrap time for me, maybe a few snacks..... and jammies.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 12-31-2021, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've always been a chill stay at home bunch also. The Kids Decided they wanted Mexican food this year (they must really want to send 2021 out with a bang! LOL)... We'll play games (one of the kids got Throw Throw Burrito for Christmas.... maybe they are like me and subconsciously planned a theme.... if that's the case I better find my gloves and have them handy for a round of Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza.... LOL). We always watch whatever televised event there is for our local area, and I always stay up to see the Ball drop in NYC an hour later, so it's going to be a long night.... for now, I need to finish cleaning up.... just a few more Christmas decorations to make disappear before the new year.

I had to come back with an edit because I almost forgot the best part..... Season 4 of Cobra Kai is up on Netflix today..... we'll be binge watching that as soon as hubby gets home from work!

Last edited by JennNtheBoys; 12-31-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Usually we play some board games and have my inlaws over, but this year DH is watching Michigan in the playoffs, and I'm scrapping, which I haven't done in a couple months.

We had some appetizers and the boys are playing video games.

It's nice and quiet.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

SICK! I spent the day in a car driving from VA to TX very, very sick. I got C0V1D after Christmas. This stupid virus signal a migraine and it all went down hill. We were supposed to fly home on the 31st but that had to be canceled and we rented a car and started the drive. I don't remember much of any of it except throwing up and sleeping. We stopped at a hotel a little over halfway and then made the trek home. I had stopped eating anything on Thursday...yesterday was the first time I ate anything. I am severely dehydrated and weak but on the mend. I did go to urgent care on Saturday when we got home for some meds for the headache and nausea. I have never been so misreable.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was sick too, Kimberly. My daughter's 18th birthday dinner was Asian takeout, and I got food poisoning from either the shrimp or chicken. I'm just starting to feel better today. I got a great jump start on the 2022 diet plan, though. lol
Feel better soon!