Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default iMac Users?

I'm STILL trying to figure out what kind of computer I want. I'm being REALLY picky because this will be the last computer I buy for a very long time. So, I thought I wanted the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display which is very pricey. Now, I'm wondering if I could be willing to give up portability for more bang for my buck. I know there's a recent desktop vs laptop thread going but I wanted to hear from iMac users specifically. Which one do you have...21" or 27". How much memory & hard drive space do you have? Do you love it? Is it worth giving up portability?

Talk to me baby!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

<3 I love my imac.

I just upgraded in december, I had my previous imac for 6 years. I have the 21" maxed out I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't mind not having the portability because I can't imagine designing/scrapbooking anymore on a 15" screen (well maybe scrapbook.. not sure.. )

I think desktops last longer than laptops so that is something to consider too
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a fan of scrapping on a laptop (never done it on a mac though - so I don't know if that matters). When I was stuck on my hubby's laptop for a few weeks, I put it on my desk, attached a mouse to it and did my best to make it feel more like a desk top, lol.

I have the 21in iMac. I still think the screen is HUGE, so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not getting the 27in. I do need more memory. It came with 4 gig and has room for 4 more - so eventually I want to add that (I've read that it really helps to have that extra memory). If I had known before I bought it - I would have added it at the time. Now we're in a tiny town and don't really have access to anything (easily) to have the memory added.

Oh and I have a 1TB hard drive - which I'm not even close to filling up, lol -- okay, well it's half way full, but I haven't added much beyond what I put on it to begin with. So I'm comfortable with the size of storage that I have

Not sure if that helps - but that's my two cents
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the 21 inch. I REALLY debated between the iMac and laptop, but in the end I couldn't stomach the extra money for the laptop. Having said that, I've never scrapped on a laptop. I went from a pc to the iMac and the larger screen is SO awesome! I don't see myself ever giving up the larger screen for portability.

I bought the iMac without any extras, and it does run fairly slow once I've been working in photoshop for a while. Next time, I will know better. This time around I had just gotten into digital scrapbooking and didn't really think about needing anything extra...
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you guys have the ATA Drive, Fusion Drive or the Flash Storage? Are you happy with the speed and graphics response time?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have the fusion drive - when I was debating my mac it was recommended to me that it is def worth the upgrade and since I figured I was already spending might as well make it worth it since you can't upgrade later with that

I'm beyond happy..

My older computer is for the kids now and when I go back to it, it is amazing the difference! It didn't feel as though it had gotten all that slow during the years but now when I use it its a little painful since I'm so used to this one now

eta: This was a business decision for purchasing obviously so again if I was using it for scrapbooking and not design not sure I would have upgraded everything?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ummm.... I don't know what those are, lol - so I don't know. I searched my info section and don't see either of the three drives you listed so ... neither? lol

Speed is fine most of the time. It gets pissy at me when I try to run too much at once. Sometimes I have to sit for a few and let it catch up to whatever it is I'm wanting to do (but we're talking Photoshop CS4, Itunes, the internet is always on, and multiple folders open and TONS of layers on whatever I'm working in in PS. And it doesn't help that I rarely shut down Photoshop - I try to do that when things get slow for a second). So yeah - I'm pretty demanding of what I have - which is why I want to get the last two memory slots filled and see what else I can upgrade on it to make the performance even better.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went from an Mac book pro to a 27 inch iMac. I still miss being able to scrap on the couch sometimes but I LOVE that big, beautiful screen. I upgraded my ram to 16 gb and can now run light room an Photoshop at the same time with no problems. It's awesome.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm gonna be keeping my eye on this thread. We are saving up for a 27" iMac right now! I have a Mac Pro (desktop), but it's old, loud & giving me lots of problems!
We considered a MacBook Pro, but we both have iPads & iPhones. So, we have the portability. I'd much rather have more bang for my buck & the bigger screen for my photography business!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Interesting... thanks for posting. I've always been thinking of a macbook... but now I'm thinking that a desktop might be better. I'm really hard on my computer and can bring my laptop down to it's knees when I'm scrapping. I also wasn't excited about having to go from a 19 in to a 15in monitor and probably a smaller hard drive, due to price if I go with the macbook...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the 27iMac and I love how I can really have everything big and wide and have everything just staring at me when I am working. I have a hard time scrapping on my 13"MBP now.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I have a 27" and I love it. I am 100% happy with my decision to get it, but I readily agree that the 21.5" would probably suit most people. When Kristin was deciding about which one to get, I did a couple screen shots to show how things look on a 27". In the first pic, the kit preview is at 12x12"... so a fullsize layout without needing to zoom in. In the second pic, you will see that I have the internet open plus I have enough room to have a fullsize document open next to it... and some extra room. I can have 2 fullsize internet screens side by side as well. I love my machine, but if something horrible happened to it and I had to buy a new one, I'd be tempted by the savings on getting the 21.5". Don't know if that helps your decision.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I love my iMac. I have a macbook too and never use it for anything other than web surfing <3
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Few years back, I bought laptop thinking that I can sit down with family, watch TV with them and scrap at the same time. That never happened. I need concentration and 'alone' time to scrap! LOL So, laptop wasn't for me for scrapping purpose. For any other needs, there are smart phones and tablets.

So, when my desktop and laptop both decided to crash on me at the same time (laptop still works, but just couldn't take PS.. it would crash anytime I run photoshop), I decided to go for iMac. When we went to the store, I was prepared to get 21", but then, DH insisted getting me 27", since it would be my last computer purchase for quite a while!

I think mine had 4GB memory with 1TB hard drive. About a year later, I upgraded memory to 16GB! Jen, it's super easy to add the memory on your own! Takes less than 5 minutes to do it! Now, it's running super fast! I love it! I have PS, Aperture, Adobe Bridge, browser, iTunes open all the time and it never slows down. Just like Julie's screenshots, you can have 2-3 windows open at the same time! Sometimes, I would run video tutorial on Lynda.com and try it out on PS at the same time!

I don't know what kind of drive it has either!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i've got a 21", and i love it. the computers at school are 27", and while it's nice, i think it's too big for me.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've had the 21" for the past 5 years now and its getting slow, so we are looking at upgrading to the 27", I'm going to look at getting the fusion drive as well, cause I've been hearing good reviews on it!

MY BLOG | PINTEREST

BIG FAN!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripal
Jen, it's super easy to add the memory on your own! Takes less than 5 minutes to do it!
I think I've heard that or read it somewhere. I have NO clue how I would do it, but I'm quite sure a google search or a phone call to the Apple people would help me figure it out! Might have to just go ahead and do it myself - I would love to get that extra memory in there!! Thanks for the head's up sweetheart It's good to know that what I've heard is true - that it's easy
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Try YouTube!

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwlIKRKqoA

Last edited by ripal; 03-02-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I bought my first computer in 2007, an iMac 24". Love, love iMacs. I ran the tiger program until this year, had to update.

Couple things I didn't know.

1. Have to upgrade each time they create a new program. I thought it was done automatically. DOH! {costs small change money wise} My stupidity caused my computers game card to get messed up because it wasn't compatible with the new stuff. Cost me $200 to get fixed.

2. iMacs occasionally need to be taken to apple to be fixed, I was one of those

3. iMacs can't be repaired by apple when they are considered old, by law I was told. {pc's are the same I hear} Mine will not be able to be repaired in a couple years and won't handle anymore updates. Right now I just updated to Snow Leopard, my next update will be one of the Lion programs and will be my last. In order to update to lion I have to increase my memory slightly to handle it. {I thought this would be the only computer I'd buy being in my 50's, so I see a new iMac in a few years. At least there cheaper than my first one was}

4. Make sure you get a 1TB at least if you take alot of photos.

5. Make sure you have 1-3 EHD for back up. 1 can fail and I was told its better to have 2-3 because electronics don't last forever.

Would I buy another iMac? YES! Best computer around and mine lasted 6 years before I needed any repairs.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really don't like scrapping on my Macbook. I love the big screen on my iMac.