Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy
Default Sealer for Hybrid Projects

A good friend of mine is a professional scrapper and she told me to use Delta Ceramcoat Indoor/Outdoor Gloss Varnish for protecting finished hybrid projects.

Has anyone ever tried this and been successful with it, especially with printed hybrid products?
I wanted something that will dry hard and really protect my stuff and she said this would work wonderfully as long as it doesnt make printed items run, and that it dries fast so you have to work quickly when applying.
She does Christmas ornaments out of dominoes and she uses only the Varnish for adhesive AND a sealer. Her stuff is gorgeous but it's also store bought paper products.
She also says that if you use Mod Podge to adhere stuff to the cardboard it has to be completely dry before using the Ceramcoat.

I haven't tried it yet because I'm a little afraid but has anyone had any experience with the Ceramcoat? I know Mod Podge can be tacky and I dont want my projects to ever be sticky in any kind of temperature.
I think I might pick up a big bottle of it next time I'm in the craft section at Walmart.

The last sealer I got was from Hobby Lobby. It was a spray sealer, cost me $5.49 and was supposed to be permanent and water resistant. When I sprayed it on, it looked as if I hadn't ever sprayed it with anything, and it made the glue streaks underneath my hybrid paper layer see through to the top.
This was after 2 coats.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post

I haven't tried it yet because I'm a little afraid but has anyone had any experience with the Ceramcoat? I know Mod Podge can be tacky and I dont want my projects to ever be sticky in any kind of temperature.
I think I might pick up a big bottle of it next time I'm in the craft section at Walmart.

The last sealer I got was from Hobby Lobby. It was a spray sealer, cost me $5.49 and was supposed to be permanent and water resistant. When I sprayed it on, it looked as if I hadn't ever sprayed it with anything, and it made the glue streaks underneath my hybrid paper layer see through to the top.
This was after 2 coats.
I've only had trouble with mod podge being tacky on one project - and I think it was because hubby stacked my ceramic tile coasters before they had cured fully.

I've used Krylon triple thick crystal clear spray on projects before (like my glass block lights I do) without any problem. Not sure why your sealer showed the glue streaks underneath - maybe you sprayed the sealer a little too heavy?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I failed Mod Podge school. Everytime I use it, it's bad, real bad. Streaks, warping, ink smearing, etc.

I like to use the Ceramcoat as well. The key is to spray it on in thin even coats. I've also used another type of spray fixative, I think it's by Krylon.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I definitely have issues with mod podge becoming tacky in high humidity. I made a little rememberance board book of my mom for my boys after she passed away, and we have to be very careful opening it during high humidity because the pages tend to stick together. *sigh* I love that little book LOL

I also got to where I used the spray on sealer w/o mod podging the top. It helped with the streaks.

I haven't used the product you're talking about, Mandy, but I thought I'd make the observation about the top sealer.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

Thanks Darcy.
See a few weeks back I went to this LSS that was going out of business. They were selling the most ADORABLE chipboard albums that were premade. The finish on them was hard and made the books really hard and shiny. They were gorgeous.
I dont know what they used and I dont know why I didnt ask.
It was almost like a thin layer of shillac (sp?).

Old 05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well in AZ we have like negative humidity most of the time LOL, so I have no problems with my mod podge - but that stuff sounds cool Mandy. I have a spray sealer from Krylon that I have used but not tested to see if it really is water proof LOL
Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've use krylon in the past but not the ceramcoat (I don't think I spelled that right!)