Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-04-2018, 01:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How far "behind" are you?

I don't scrap chronologically AT ALL, but I do try to scrap the the back end of my pics when I'm able to. My back end is 2011. I use to feel like I had to hurry and get caught up, but then I realized that as my kids get older, they will probably let me take less and less pics so I will have less to scrap in the front and will have more time to scrap the back end.

So just out of curiosity, if you have a back end to scrap, where is it?

Old 03-04-2018, 02:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When my first kid was born back in 2012 is when I started his baby album. Then in 2014 when his sister was born, I switched to digital and decided to make an album per year, per kid. In 2015 I decided to start PL and now I have for the last 3 years. Doing PL steals most of my scrapping time though, and with having been in a funk for a while I haven't really been keeping up on the kids' albums. So I supposed 2013/14 would be my end. At least for that, I have a few albums in the idea stage that will have to go further back, an AAM album and a family history one.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Here's the truth of it: When I got caught up once, I lost a lot of joy in scrapping because every time I got a new kit/template from my CTs, I didn't have any pictures to scrap. Or I had new pictures/stories, but often not any that worked with the products I wanted to use. So I felt satisfied about having completed albums, but less joy in my regular scrapbooking.

Now I have a list (written & I keep my pictures in folders) so that I have an idea of what to scrap each time I get new products. And I need to finish up my 2016 (7 pages) & 2017 (15 weekly pages) albums. I'm also working on albums from our trips back ot the States in 2015 (7 pages), 2016 (15 pages) and Joel's parents' trip here this past Christmas (I've only done a couple). But I like it this way, and I never feel "behind."
Old 03-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap chronologically, so I will always have some photos from far back to scrap with
Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my..... there are so many lines tat I have drawn out. I TRY to work in the current year and then finish up anything I didn't get to for the previous 2 years if there is anything. I was doing really well with this until I just went through a two year creative block Now I'm quite far behind in my 'current' years.

I didn't start Scrapping Digitally full time until 2013 so that is my mark right now.... if I can get everything from '13 to now done, that's when I'll be going back to 'rescrap' old paper layouts and get to some photos I never scrapped at all. I didn't start taking photos until '02 when I first had kids so it's going to be a LOT but 10 years is not too over whelming (especially since I now know I can fit lots of photos on a page if I have to).
Old 03-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I still have a lot to catch up from 2008 when my first son was born! That is when I discovered scrapbooking..
Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

well... I have 26 albums (vacations, baby album, yearbooks, project life, and december daily) started... haha. Plus going back 10 years of layouts to work on...
Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm working on 2016, but I have an album from December 2014 that I need to finish up. I don't know that I'll ever be "caught up." There are always so many more stories I can tell.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 'backend' is about 2016- Occasionally, I'll pull from 2015 but only if I'm looking for a photo for a ct requirement or something super specific. I try to stick to my rule of "scrap an older layout, then a current layout" that way, while I'm never really 'catching up' I'm at least not getting farther behind! lol! I totally agree tho- I imagine there will be less & less as they get older, so I'm okay with where I'm at!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap here and there. There's no rhyme or reason to what I scrap, which is good because I'd never finish an album if I scrapped from the beginning!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't even know - I don't even attempt to keep track of what I have and haven't scrapped. I am the WORST at organization. I can remember some pages I've made with kits, and I've rescrapped photos a few times...I love this hobby to tell stories mostly, but sometimes it's about scrapping a pretty page with nice pictures. And that requires actually reusing some of my nice ones. haha!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My philosophy on being "caught up" has changed a few times over the years. I discovered digital scrapbooking when my oldest was 5 months old, so early on I wasn't too far behind. Back then I used to set a date when a given yearly album needed to be done. (The date was a year or 2 after the time period in the album, so not much pressure!) The last few weeks before that date I prioritized the unscrapped photos and stories I most wanted in the album, scrapped those, and then let the rest go. That mostly worked for me until my 3rd child was born. I don't know if it was having less time or more photos, but I started falling further and further behind.

Then we have the period from 2008 to 2015. During those years I was printing single pages in albums, so none of those years are done. There was no pressure, since I knew I could get to it whenever and add it then. There's enough printed from each year for my kids to enjoy, so I'm satisfied for now. Like Adi said, I'm figuring that those will get done later on, when I have fewer current pages to scrap and more free time due to older/adult kids.

My current pages are the ones I'm stressing over now. In 2016 I switched to photobooks, but I don't want to wait years to finish everything before I can print. I finished 2016 in fall 2017, and now I'm up to scrapping summer 2017. But over the last year my scrapping time has gone way down as we've taken on some much needed house projects. It's going back up now, but in the fall I'll probably be increasing my work hours. I have yet to figure out how it's all going to work. I love photobooks and want to keep printing that way (plus it motivates me to get more done), but I know that single pages are a lot more practical for me.

Hmmm...how did I start trying to answer an easy question and then end up off on this long winded tangent? Back to the easy answer--2008 with just a few 2007's mixed in.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-05-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow! Here's the long story...
I started paper scrapping when my daughter was born (that was 1993). I was caught up until she was 6-1/2 when we had our son. Add another son 18 months later and I never recovered!! I was stymied because I was trying to chronologically scrapbook in Creative Memories albums, and I was doing 4 sets of pages!!
Since I started digi in 2012, I've scrapped bits and pieces, but nothing complete. My goal this year is to work on specific years. I'm starting with 2000 and working my way forward while continuing to scrap current photos.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can I just say I love hearing about how you ladies go about this thing we call scrapbooking???

Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap chronologically either and I have photos to scrap of Cheyanne from back in 2000 (when she was born). I didn't have a digital camera back then so from 2000-2005 my photos aren't great (they're scans of regular photos) and I'm not inspired to scrap them. I really just should sit down and at least get 2000 done so I can print up the photo book.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

2011, when my daughter was born. But I think I am finally done with that year, as of this month.

I don't scrap chronologically, but have just recently decided I want to do books by year. So I am going through each year to see how many layouts I have and how many I need to make a decent book for that year.

I've been on tear, and have done 100 ish layouts in the last few months.
I am most productive when I do a combo of old and new layouts. The new ones come so quick and easy because the memories are so fresh.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrapbook chronologically and I don't have a single baby album printed...my oldest was born in 2008...soooo never ha!

I was a lot more "caught up" when I was scrapbooking every day. I aimed for 1 layout/day. I just don't have the time anymore & can only do 1 layout/week...if I'm lucky.

I love printing photobooks but printed single layouts for Project Life. I've yet to finish a full year of anything!! And vacations albums have been started but that's it. I can't finish a single project.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have 'enough' scrapped between 2007 and 2013 to call them finished. I do try to go back and create pages of my stepson and nephew from those years because I haven't printed them yet but I could print them today and be okay with what I have. Each of those years has at least 100 completed pages (most many more than that).

Since 2014, I had a second child, moved cross-country twice + 2 other local moves, started volunteering, and got a FT job so 2014-present are much less scrapped. I have most of 2014 until he was born done so my backend would be May 2014. I also have most of the summer of 2015 when we were in Wyoming scrapped as well.

I'm currently working on one vacation album with two trips combined, some vacation pages that will go in a regular album, my Countdown to Christmas 2014 album, and May 2014 to present. Oy.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I don't scrap chronologically AT ALL, but I do try to scrap the the back end of my pics when I'm able to. My back end is 2011. I use to feel like I had to hurry and get caught up, but then I realized that as my kids get older, they will probably let me take less and less pics so I will have less to scrap in the front and will have more time to scrap the back end.

So just out of curiosity, if you have a back end to scrap, where is it?
That's a very good point, Adi. My back end is somewhere in the mid 2012. I'm in no hurry though.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap chrono. I just scrap the stories as they come and are most important. I work on older stories as inspiration strikes. I do have a list of stories for each year I still want to document but I don't stress it..sometimes I cross a 2014 layout off before the 2006 one.