Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Wanted: Healthy Sidedish Recipes with an emphasis on Veggies

Do you all have any good side dish recipes, especially for low carb veggies, to share? Eating healthy is so hard and I have fallen into a big rut! I need to try something new or I swear I am eating potato chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here are a few in our meal rotation. Most of them I don't use a recipe for, so I just linked up to a similar one:

Oven roasted veggies tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper
Similar to this recipe, just omit the white potatoes and reduce the serving size:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-vegetables/

Garlicky Roasted Broccoli
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/g...asted-broccoli

Marinated Vegetable Salad
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...aladecipe.html

Garlic Sauteed Spinach
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...nachecipe.html

Sauteed Onions and Peppers
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...persecipe.html
Old 06-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really struggle with low carb veggie sides too! There are only so many choices and it all seems to taste the same. Here are a few of my faves

Parmesan Zucchini Coins -
Slice zucchini in to coin shapes. Sautee butter in pan, layer zucchini coins in to pan, let them brown and the flip. Add salt and pepper and then at the last minute sprinkle on grated parmesan cheese, flip again to brown and melt the cheese and then serve. Best if they are still have a little "bite" in the zucchini versus being soggy.

Spicy Broccoli
Steam broccoli pieces in a pan with water until slightly tender. Then discard water and take out broccoli. Add olive oil, a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes, and a squirt of Siracha (or your favorite hot sauce) Mix together, then toss broccoli in the pepper oil and cover for 2 minutes to continue cooking (on low heat) I take mine out then b/c my husband likes his broccoli still crunchy, but you can cook it longer. I use this same method with butter and a little garlic, salt and pepper and that is really good too.

We also do a lot of salads and I theme them.
So Asian - Romaine/iceburg and cabbage, thinly sliced red pepper, just a few thinly sliced carrots with Ginger dressing (I found a good low carb one in the product section in a jar)
Mediterranean Chopped (I just do one serving of the marinated veggies and chop them up and then split this for two)- Baby lettuce mix, hearts of palm, roasted red pepper, marinated artichokes, green olives, provolone cheese, 1 thick slice of salami diced, bacon (1 piece chopped), tomatoes and little fresh basil if I have it.

Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil with salt and pepper - a tiny bit of balsamic or red wine vinegar just to "dress" the salad.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This recipe for mashed cauliflower is do divine!!! it's just like mashed potatoes and seriously delish. I didn't like cauliflower until I tried these and now i do, haha! and my kids eat it too!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/16575988...iflower-mashed

Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much Ladies! I will be saving and pinning! If you have any more, I would be happy to have them too.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love all these recipes! I don't have anything to add, but wanted to say I like your siggie Lorie!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I love all these recipes! I don't have anything to add, but wanted to say I like your siggie Lorie!
Thanks Jacinda. I definitely needed a new one. LOL
Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a huge fan of ovenoasted asparagus! It's so easy. I just trim the asparagus, rub it with a small amount of olive oil, salt it and spread it on one layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 for about 20 minutes! Perfection! Some people add garlic or lemon juice, but I love it with just the oil and salt.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I'm a huge fan of ovenoasted asparagus! It's so easy. I just trim the asparagus, rub it with a small amount of olive oil, salt it and spread it on one layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 for about 20 minutes! Perfection! Some people add garlic or lemon juice, but I love it with just the oil and salt.
My favorite too Sheri, but I like some red pepper mixed in and the lemon juice. So delicious!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to pop in and say its nice seeing you around here, Lorie!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Aww, thanks Brook. I do some stalking but not nearly as much posting as before. Between my promotion at work and my digi gig, I don't have as much hanging out time. LOL And I have finally learned how to sleep more than four hours a day, which makes me feel so much better. Unfortunately those two extra hours of rest sure do cut into the other things I like to do. Still, I think it is an even trade. Sleep is a beautiful thing to an insomniac.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

OMGee, I steamed some mixed fresh veggies tonight, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, asparagus and cauliflower with some cracked paper and a squeeze of lemon and they were to die for. My son, who has lost 45 lbs since last September wolfed them down with a big smile on his face. They were as good, and maybe even better, than potato chips.