Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default kid hair cuts: how often?

Just curious how often you cut your kiddos hair.. Do you take them to a hair dresser or do it yourself? Connor has major mop head syndrome (mostly due to the curls) and haaaaaaaaates hair cuts, but goodness. It grows so quickly and he puts up such a fuss I've never had it "professionally" cut. It looks like crap in the state it is now though so it's time that I pin him down and trim it again. Bleh. Do they ever grow out of the weirdness on grooming
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Never. Mine all look like hippies.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My son is 6 and he doesn't mind going to the hairdresser. He's been going since he was two, because he would shake his head like crazy when I tried to cut it myself. We went to a place where he could sit in a car and watch a movie while getting it cut back then. I still don't take him to get a cut very often, maybe 2-3 times a year. It does get very long in between.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Once or twice a year. I usually think about taking them more often, but never get around to it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have their hair cut twice a year - beginning of school and Christmas. They need a trim, but don't want to go.

And you'd think with girls it would be different. That they'd care about their hair and having cute things in, but no. I'm lucky if Jillian washes it and Evelyn looks like she never combs her hair, but does. They are hot messes.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We cut the boys' and Raegan's hair when they start to look like orphans . . . not often enough.

Kaylin is 2-1/2 and we haven't cut hers yet. She has those delicious curls, and I just can't stand the thought of cutting them. We'll see how much longer we can go without at least a little trim.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I trim the girls' hair whenever we feel like it (and regularly keep one of them short myself).

My almost 3 year old boy... Ugh. I cut his hair and I'd love to do it every 4-5 weeks but he REALLY really doesn't like the clippers (that's all I use). I started trimming around his ears with scissors in between cuts with helps a TON... but I still try to do it every 6-8 weeks because I can't stand it long!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't cut it enough. My dad told me last night, for about the third time, that my youngest needs a haircut. I let him know that he usually needs a haircut for at least 2 months before he actually gets one. He gets one about 3 times a year. My oldest gets his buzzed by his dad about every 3 or 4 months. I love him with hair, but he loves the buzz, so he can be just like his daddy. So the buzz generally happens just as his hair is getting to the perfect length that I love. Oh well, it's his head.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Every 6-8 weeks my husband and the boys all go for haircuts.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do the boys' hair myself. They like it shorter so I just buzz it. Super easy! I cut their hair whenever my oldest says his hair is too long

Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I cut my son's hair... unless it gets too bad and hubby takes pity on me and takes J to the barber... haha. Usually I have to cut J's hair when it starts touching the ears or just looks shabby... probably every 3-4 weeks. Hmm... looking at J right now, he could use a haircut before his birthday.

This summer I totally lucked out... we went 2 months between haircuts, I think kiddo's head growing so his hair didn't look like it really was growing!

Disclaimer.. my hubby is spoiled... my MOM cuts his hair... haha. I don't trust myself to cut his hair... J can wear a hat if I get to scissor happy...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My DD is 4.5 and has been getting her hair cut by my stylist for the last 2 years. Her hair grows REALLY quickly, so even though I stretch out the time between her haircuts as much as I can, it has to be done (especially so her bangs are not completely in her eyes) every 2 months.

I have no eye-hand coordination (this is why I don't paper scrap, either!) so it has to be done professionally especially now that she's in school & I want her to look nice. My stylist is really great with her & she doesn't mind going now that she's used to the routine of it.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DH hated haircuts because with his curly hair it always looked bad for a month. Once I told him to cut it longer, he didn't mind it. He looks like a fro head right now, but we do have a newborn. DS has been begging me all week (he's 4). I just sit him in front of a show and cut it. Cutting it dry helps a lot with the curls.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
exactly.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I cut mine often being a hairdresser BUT if I had to rely on someone else or pay, it would be a once or twice a year deal lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Yep, this. Although they don't all go together.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cooper, every couple months I'd say, unless it really starts driving me crazy.

Keira has had 2 hair cuts since hers started growing back from chemo. She had one in like March of last year, it was really starting to look like a mullet in the back, so we just evened it up a little. And then in August she got a bob, she wanted it. Makes me a little sad though, her curls are all gone now. Of course she didn't have curls before chemo. But I still miss them.

Harper hasn't had a real hair cut yet, but it's coming. I trimmed his bangs and the back. I like my boys to have short hair. Blame it on 10 years in the Air Force I guess. LOL!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I cut my sons hair whenever it starts to bother me. Usually once every 2-3 months. My daughter gets hers cut by a professional probably every 4ish months.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My boys go to the hairdresser about every two months otherwise they start looking like ferals! (My older one especially needs frequent haircuts as his hair grows fast and is very thick). Hubby gives them a trim at home in between visits to the hairdresser.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take Cole ever 2-3 months. He isn't still enough at four for me to cut it.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I probably take my girls for cuts about 3-5 times a year. They want it to be long but they don't take care of it, so when it gets too tangly or scraggly, off they go. I try cutting it but I suck at it. My has cut it a few times but she always cuts it a little too short and wants to put bangs on them. I love bangs but my girls prefer no full bangs.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I take Nick in whenever he starts to look like a ragamuffin. It's thick and straight and dark. He has a lot of hair, but who has the time to go in every month. So I just go whenever I look at him and think, jeez, he needs a haircut.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Every 6 weeks for the youngest DS. He gets his cut while my highlights are processing With my oldest DS it was hit or miss and he went through several "hair phases". DD goes when she gets tired of her hair being long lol
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My oldest, who's 13, I do myself. It's so thick and coarse the only thing you can do is buzz it with clippers. Bought some years ago and have done it ever since. Probably every 6-8 weeks or it gets crazy. The other 3 (2 boys, 1 girl) go to my hairdresser, probably every 2 months or so. Just depends how long it bugs me or them. The boys like to keep theirs shorter and now girl-child has hers short again, so it'll need more frequent trims. Now hubby on the other hand, only goes when I practically force him. :P
Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Every 6-10wks for the the boy depending on whether he wants it short or a bit longer (bushy really). Every 4 months for the girl. I have it done professionally. Me and scissors are usually bad news.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When the length starts to annoy my oldest DS (10) and my DD (5) complains of her bangs being in her eyes. So every 6 weeks to 8 weeks, maybe? My middle DS (7) has very curly hair, so it grows up rather than down into his way. It never bothers him, but I think it looks messy and out of control even before the other 2 kids' hair. So sometimes they all go for haircuts because the 2 straight haired kiddos are complaining, and sometimes they go because my curly kid's hair is bothering me, LOL. We always take them to get it done and all 3 at the same time. I once let my DH take the boys with him...never again, at least for my curly kid. They butchered his hair, cutting it so short there was absolutely no curl left. It took forever to grow in again. (Not that that's a bad look in general, but on his round face it was not good.)

Last edited by rach3975; 03-06-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Bella gets it trimmed once a year. Ryan gets his cut whenever he likes. Usually he goes to my mom's and tells my brother he wants it buzzed and he comes home and has short hair. Mason has only had his cut once, but it's getting cut short ( ) around his birthday. Because that's how we do it with the boys when they're little.

Now, before I get to Zach - I would like to say we give our kids full control of how their hair looks. It's theirs, and it grows or can be cut, so they can do as they wish. (For example, Ryan wants to dye his blue this summer. We figure we have bigger battles to fight them on. lol)

Zach hasn't had his hair cut in about 16 months. And it is going to KILL me if he decides to cut it this summer. He's currently deciding on if he wants to do that or not. We're trying to convince him to give pulling it up a chance first since it's long enough.

(Zach's hair)

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her

Last edited by MommaTrish; 03-06-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take all three kids to get haircuts every 4 weeks, religiously. If I don't, I get irritated when trying to fix the boys' hair in the morning because I can't get it to lay down! My daughter could definitely go longer and occasionally will skip a haircut, but hers is a hot mess if I don't fix it so I do try to keep it trimmed to make my life easier. The boys don't care much about their haircut, they just want something that takes two seconds in the morning.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I cut Maggie (3) new bangs when they get in her face. I only cut the rest of her hair once so far when it was looking particularly mullet-y. You know how weird toddler hair can be.

I took Dagmar for a haircut once when she was 2. I was visiting my family in the States and my mom was complaining about her hair the whole time so I said fine, you pay and she can get a haircut. I didn't touch it again until her 5th birthday, which was the third day in a row that she told me she wanted short hair. I figured if she was going to ask that much, she probably actually meant it, so I cut it for her, and she was over the moon about it. I've trimmed it once or twice since then (September).

I also cut my own hair. Hairdressers are too expensive here.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My boys, 10 & 11, get their hair cut when they ask for it or when it gets out of control & they don't take care of it. I don't care if they have hair halfway down their back (my oldest) or a vast mop of curls (my youngest) as long as they take care of it.

If they want a buzz cut I do it. I do their dad's so I have the clippers. (he used to have hair halfway down his back from ages 21-39). If they just want a trim I take them to Earl's, an old school barbershop in town.

Right now they both have short hair because football season (wearing a helmet 3 hours a day 4 days a week), their long thick hair, and their occasional lack of hygiene left them with horrible heat rash on their scalps that didn't go away a month after the season was over, so we cut it close over thanksgiving.