Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Brushes, Styles etc

I find that apart from shadow styles I forget to use them particularly brushes. Does anyone have any tips for making them more user friendly, in the sense if I see them I will use them? I know how to use them, but I just dont cause I dont see them all the time.I have PSCS4 on a Windows machine.

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmmmm...not sure. I know for me I keep all of my brushes in one file so that they are easy to get to. I also feel like the designers make it so easy by always putting some sort of paint splatters in their kits so that I don't really have to go searching for a brush to use.

That was no help at all, huh? :P

Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I rarely use my brushes, the only ones I really use are Libbys spirodelic brushes, which are super fun!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love brushes! I keep them in a folder outside of PS, together and sorted, I change the folder image so I can see what they are quickly. It makes them as easy and accessible as any other of my supplies.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I only use them when I design... when I scrap I tend to go with what's included in the kit. I do tag all of my brushes "brushes" in LR, so if I need to grab one I'll click on the tab and pull them all up. Same with styles, except I use them a lot more on my scrap pages too. I'd say load up the ones you use the most in your styles window and scroll through that once in a while?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love brushes for PL!!! I don't feel like I use them too much on regular LO's, though. I know this is no help...I just want to follow this thread so I can see everyone else's advice. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallery
Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a folder simply called brushes. I often use them for artsy layouts or designing.
But if I scrap with a kit that has some included I usually don´t use any others.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a brush folder, but the way I remind myself of my brushes is by having their preview copied to a relevant scrapping folder. Most of my brushes are word art, so I keep a preview of them in my word art folder (along with non-brush word art). That way I at least see them when I'm looking for that type of element outside of a kit. My few paint brushes have their previews where I keep paint and spatters, PL focused brushes are with PL supplies, etc.

Not sure what to recommend for styles. I don't have that many, so I keep them loaded all the time. Most of mine are things like Misty's Scrap With Style line (for turning things into chipboard, epoxy, wood, etc), so use them when I want to "cheat" and make a font title look like an alphabet. Other than that I don't use them too much.

Last edited by rach3975; 07-08-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I have a separate folder just for my favorite brushes--it even includes brushes (PNG files) lifted straight from kits that I know I'll want to use again.

I'm a brush fanatic. The only thing I haven't gotten to doing is using ABR files. I've a thing about those, LOL. I'd rather use PNG files.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
The only thing I haven't gotten to doing is using ABR files. I've a thing about those, LOL. I'd rather use PNG files.
I'm with you on the png files. I've tried using the actual brushes a couple of times, and I just find the png's more convenient.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have all brushes and styles tagged and, which is more helpful to you, I copied them all to Photoshop's Presets folders (Presets > Brushes and Presets > Styles). In this way I can see all of them in Photoshop and switch between them. I also created my own presets, for examples for all scripty brushes, all watercolour brushes, all flower brushes etc. I might write a tut on that if anyone is interested. :-)

It seems like a lot of work, but it's not, and it's totally worth it because you don't have to remember anything and look for anything when you're creating.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
I have all brushes and styles tagged and, which is more helpful to you, I copied them all to Photoshop's Presets folders (Presets > Brushes and Presets > Styles). In this way I can see all of them in Photoshop and switch between them. I also created my own presets, for examples for all scripty brushes, all watercolour brushes, all flower brushes etc. I might write a tut on that if anyone is interested. :-)

It seems like a lot of work, but it's not, and it's totally worth it because you don't have to remember anything and look for anything when you're creating.

I would love a tut!!!!

Gallery
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjriward View Post
I would love a tut!!!!

Cool. I will try to write it during July then and will come back to this thread and point to it when it's ready. :-)