Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default oddest gift requests and/or given?

All this talk about gifts got me thinking... what was the oddest gift your kid asked for... and/or what is the oddest gift you got from someone else?

When my son was 3 - he asked for an ove glove and a chia pet... that is when we realized he was watching too much Wheel of Fortune on tv... haha

The oddest gift (and I know I have mentioned this before)... was when I was dating my hubby - his step mom gave me edible body paint... talk about awkward when his dad asked me what Marina gave me...
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

This year for a stocking gift I got my DH an ear and nose hair trimmer. Kind of a weird gift. He needed it though so I'm hoping he finds it funny. My aunt got me a Damn it doll one year which was a crudely sewn doll made of ugly fabric. It had a poem pinned to it something about when you get angry about something you should hit the doll against stuff and scream damn it. I'm sure my aunt thought it was funny. I just thought it was silly. The same year she got my DH a bag of beans that was labeled Hill Billy Bubble Bath. They were groaners that year!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

The oddest gift (and I know I have mentioned this before)... was when I was dating my hubby - his step mom gave me edible body paint... talk about awkward when his dad asked me what Marina gave me...
Ha! Something similar happened to me with a step in-law and edible massage oil. Awkward!

DD7 has a loooong list this year and a third of it was Christmas stuff. Christmas socks, Christmas hoodies, Christmas slides, Christmas mugs, Christmas posters, Christmas stockings. And if you try to explain to her that, after about 8:00am on Tuesday Christmas is basically over and she won't get to enjoy any of it, she gets really huffy.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is the second year that my oldest (now 3) has asked for purple.

The oddest gift I've received is a bikini trimmer thingy. From a coworker. From a coworker that I didn't like and she didn't like me. I actually wrote a blog post about it back in the day.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My Dad has one of the 'elecrtric leg lights' from a Christmas Story. His sister gave him that!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by [michele] View Post
Ha! Something similar happened to me with a step in-law and edible massage oil. Awkward!

DD7 has a loooong list this year and a third of it was Christmas stuff. Christmas socks, Christmas hoodies, Christmas slides, Christmas mugs, Christmas posters, Christmas stockings. And if you try to explain to her that, after about 8:00am on Tuesday Christmas is basically over and she won't get to enjoy any of it, she gets really huffy.
We have a Christmas Angel named Noel. She comes quite often during December and she leaves these kind of gifts for the kids as well as notes with scripture, stories on how to spread Christmas cheer, etc. She started coming the year my daughter was 18 months old (she's 10.5 now). She brings all those little Christmas things that kids LOVE but that you want to put away the day after Christmas. Last night she brought a Christmas Trivia game, a game called Lumps (with dice that look like lumps of coal) and something else... can't remember what... but she's brought several Christmas shirts, Christmas socks, Christmas movies, etc. throughout December.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

LOL In 2009 and 2010, Rachel asked for a can of peas.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Well we've talked about my MIL and her odd gift giving before.. .but one year I got oxi clean and dish scrubbers and Jeff got ketchup and batteries.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

emma asked for a cake pop maker this year. i thought that was odd.

my mother in law bought me kitchen towels one year bc she had babysat the girls and thought we were low on towels :/

Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

LOL until I got married and moved out-of-state, mom would always put tampons and nasal spray in my stocking. She would basically stock my medicine cabinet. Nothing like opening a box of o.b.'s with company over on Christmas morning :/
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
emma asked for a cake pop maker this year. i thought that was odd

Haha! Laura, that is soo funny because this year, we're giving one of our girls a cake pop maker and one of them a mini cupcake maker and I think they are going to LOVE them. They are soo much better than an easy bake oven or something. We just stumbled upon them at Best Buy, they didnt ask for anything like this, but it's one of the gifts I'm most excited about giving to them.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, Robin - those are so cute - I love the carrying box!

my hubby's aunt loves to shop rebates... so all year she will get everything that she can get free or for pennies at walgreens, cvs, etc... and then divides them out between the nieces and nephews... they call it the rebate bag of crap... I, on the other hand, think this it's awesome! We have gotten everything from kids vitamins, to lightbulbs, to lighter to cereal!! Sometimes it's something we can't use like my hubby doesn't use guy body wash and we donate it... you never know what you will get from year to year.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Last year my inlaws gave me newborn type photography props. One was a child bathtub from like the 40s & a big pot. Nice idea, but its not really some i enjoy, kwim? I don't even use the pot.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Haha! Laura, that is soo funny because this year, we're giving one of our girls a cake pop maker and one of them a mini cupcake maker and I think they are going to LOVE them. They are soo much better than an easy bake oven or something. We just stumbled upon them at Best Buy, they didnt ask for anything like this, but it's one of the gifts I'm most excited about giving to them.

oh those are COOL, robin! i have a feeling we're going to be making a LOT of cake pops around here over christmas break lol

Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last year, my now 4 year old asked Santa for "a real live baby" and snow. That's all she wanted. She was a little upset that Santa brought her Mickey Mouse instead.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

hehe Mandy, it looks like you guys are gonna be getting that snow this year! So, what if it's a year late?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oddest present ever been given was not for christmas actually. My husband bought me shampoo and conditioner on valentines day LOL. We have well water and I was out of the special shampoo and conditioner I use on my hair. It is why I usually have a wish list and send him stuff throughout the year now to give him ideas of what I want. Not that it wasnt sweet that he noticed I was out and went and got it for me but it isnt super romantic or what Id ask for as a gift. My kids never really ask for anything. It is like pulling teeth to get them to say they want something for christmas and my husband always says he just wants me and the kids to get what we want. I bought him a Dremel this year (partially because I wanted one) but also because I thought he could use one.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh I thought of something...this year I bought my daughter a whole bunch of turtle themed stuff. She loves turtles and has a tattoo on her shoulder of a turtle keychain I bought her at Ron Jons like two or three years ago. I got her a necklace which is identical to her tattoo which is kinda odd because it isn't really common I dont think. She is gonna be really thrilled I think. I bought her hubby some vintage surf themed stuff and a cute little picture frame in the shape of a volkswagon van. I hope he likes his presents.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
LOL until I got married and moved out-of-state, mom would always put tampons and nasal spray in my stocking. She would basically stock my medicine cabinet. Nothing like opening a box of o.b.'s with company over on Christmas morning :/
Oh my! That's too funny!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A couple years ago, my stepson asked for playing cards of his dad and uncles. We never did figure out what that meant. He also asked for a nutcracker that year, so we got him a nutcracker ornament.

When I was 8 or 9, my grandparents bought me a plastic ball and bat set. I thought that was really weird since I was already a chubby non-athletic brainiac at that point. In college or just after, my mother bought me a personalized scrapbooking sweatshirt. OMG. I wish I had a picture; it was soooo terrible.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son this year, he's 6, asked Santa for a toy Santa, elf and sleigh. That was impossible to find. We found one in amazon and of course his dad waited til the last minute to order it. Thankfully it showed up Christmas Eve.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter (16) got scrubs from my mom this year. She's trying to decide what she wants her major to be in college and she's basing her decision on whether or not she can wear scrubs to work. She just thinks scrubs are the coolest thing ever. So my mom gave her a pair to wear around the house, and now she can base her decision on what she really wants to do, and not what she wants to wear.