Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Craft table/desk and mixed media crafting

Hi everyone. Two separate questions but I felt badly about starting two new threads.
1. My husband suggested I set up a little art/crafting area and I'm really excited.I'm trying to get ideas for some kind of work area such as a desk or a table that either has some storage or just a table with a separate storage unit type thing. I have a very limited budget and would love suggestions. I looked at the Salvation Army but didn't see anything I loved. I thought maybe some of you would have ideas.

2. I have been doing digital scrapbooking as my main artsy activity. I just became interested in really getting my hands dirty and digging into paint and gesso and ink and stuff. I just started researching mixed media art and art journaling and really want to try some. I'm not sure where or how to start and I'd love resources. So far I found Christy Tomlinson and Junelle Jacobson and love them both. Any books or websites you recommend?

Thanks so much everyone!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

While I was still paper scrapping - I got a plastic folding table from Sams for about $25 that worked perfectly. We then put in a long shelf above it to store anything I needed to store on it. I don't have a photo but drew this up. I added the tall storage units later, but just started out with the shelf and table at first and a couple of small storage items. It worked great - was only about 7' wide at the most I think, but you could go up if you have more up space with a 2nd shelf.

How about checking these out!
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...rt-journaling/

Last edited by Darcy Baldwin; 01-14-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i have quite the same set up as darcy :-) only i bought mine at ikea. and i use a table with removable legs, so i have the opportunity to have extra space for a matress in case we have some more visitors (happens frequently).
i also have this special mat for cutting paper on my desk.

there are some awesome things here for art journaling. i particularly love the templates by krystal (mixed media mashups). I know of some websites teaching classes. if you want to explore by yourself, just look up google and you will find a lot of resources, i am sure.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I have a high folding table I stand at because I prefer to tabs and craft. Above it my husband and I mounted a pegboard that cost about $40 with the hooks.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you have a Restore place near you? I got a wrap around desk (like a reception desk) for like $40... and then I use plastic drawers on wheels that I got from Big Lots for I think $20 a piece... I like that I can move them out, do my thing... and then shove them under the desk again. If I was still paper crafting, I would want to do where you take two bookshelves cubbies as the "legs" and then a basic piece of wood over it...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use a plastic folding table too. It was a gift from my parents to use for camping. I use it as my desk and then when we have a party or camp I clean off my desk and use it for the event.

I have a closet it our office for my supplies. I have one of those metal shelves you get at Lowes and a large plastic rolling drawer thing (about 4 ft tall) that I got Target on sale. I just use a old office chair. I also have some big bins I put under the table for miscellaneous stuff. As I work on projects I group the materials together in reusable bags (like you get at Marshall's or Homegoods). Then I I can quickly clean up and then take it all back out and not lose anything. Much better than using our wet bar or the dining room table!

For Art Journaling supplies I highly recommend shopping the clearance sales going on at Michael's and JoAnn's if you have those nearby. If you pick up a little at a time it's not so expensive. Even better would be if you had a local friend that wanted to try so you could split some supplies like paint and paper. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone. I found a nice big table at Ikea. If only the shipping wasn't $20 it would be perfect! I'll probably go with that though.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Here is my peg board while we were still organizing it:

Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

OH and also, here are some mixed media resources:

Shopping:

Blitsy - Great deals M/W/F on crafting supplies!

PPL I subscribe to on Youtube:

RachO113
Donna Downey
Lita Bloomer
Samara Gugler
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also use an Ikea table. It has leaves that fold down when I need to get it out of the way a bit. It's perfect and looks (a little) nicer than a plain plastic table which I had before.