Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Looking into the best backup site? backblaze etc

Trying to get some opinions on the best place to back up my files. I have EHD's but want a back up of a back up if that makes sense. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use IDrive and have been happy with them so far. No issues. I even moved to a new computer and it was pretty seamless to start copying my new files and switch over. It copies the files on my computer and the EHD I have attached to my computer.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:47 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cindy~ View Post
Trying to get some opinions on the best place to back up my files. I have EHD's but want a back up of a back up if that makes sense. Thank you!
That totally makes sense and is what the Experts (whoever they are lol) recommend in the 3-2-1 rule (link is to the BackBlaze blog).

I have BB and love it. I do check it at least once a month--oh, I should do it rn. It's easy/simple to start and it basically runs in the backgroun with no necessary help from you. (But like I said, I still double-check by randomly picking a folder or two and downloading a photo/DS item to make sure they're actually there, ya know?) I also have 4 EHDs, two of which are backed up by BB. (The website can explain how to do that.) I like that I can set up B to send me reminder emails in case my EHDs aren't plugged in and not getting backed up.

I also upload my photos to Amazon Prime Photos, a feature included with the Prime membership that EVERY scrapper should utilize IMHO. I mean, free unlimited photo storage? Yes, please!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:50 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Used Backblaze for many years but had to give it up. It was causing issues for me in not being able to connect to my internet. It was weird for sure. I had no problems with being connected (cable internet) when Backblaze was not running in the background. But the minute it started doing its thing, my internet would cut out intermittently. Even had the internet provider here thinking it was on their end but found out when my computer was fried during a power outage and I was using an older computer with no backup that I had no issues with my internet. I also found out when I got my EHD with my Backblaze backup that it had not done a complete backup for over a month before my computer had gotten fried. Thankfully I had saved my digital work during that time to my own EHD.

With only being able to do a backup during the overnight hours, a new backup would have taken me months to complete when my new computer was set up so I just said forget it. I now use 4 EHD's and doing a manual back up once a month. 3 are copies of my C drive. The 4th is strictly for a nightly backup by the EHD software.

Many people use it successfully and I had for a long time. But the last 2 years I had it was when my internet issues started. And, now that I don't have it, I have no issues with internet connectivity... unless there is a power outage
Old 02-02-2021, 12:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely need to start uploading pictures to Amazon prime. I have tons! That would also make me feel a little better as well.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:50 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have used Carbonite for years. I even had a EHD fail and it was super easy to just download everything from Carbonite onto my new hard drive.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:26 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We've used Carbonite and IDrive. Both have good and bad points. The user interface (according to my dh, who is VERY techie) on IDrive makes him want to poke his eye out with a stick. We had a lot of problems using my backup when he built this computer. We have several computers backing up to one account. He also uses them for a separate business that he oversees.

Also, right now we're having an issue with this new computer and IDrive. It will shut down our whole network and no one can get online if it's doing an online backup. He doesn't have time to figure it out right now but he mumbled something as he was going to work this morning about uninstalling drivers and so on and so forth and he'd do it his next off day.

My take - if it does the job for you without any problems, it's gold. IDrive does the job, usually, and I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my dh to fix it. I'd be lost.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

I had no idea about the photo storage on Prime! I'll definitely start using that.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've used back blaze for years too and have loved it have it had any problems have switched computers a couple of times and it's been pretty seamless I have had an external hard drive fail and it was fairly easy just a little time consuming because I didn't want to pay for them to send me a hard drive to download everything again but it worked and it was fine I also keep copies of all of my pictures on prime as well
Old 02-02-2021, 12:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use Backblaze, Amazon Photo, Google Photo, and then I have an extra external Harddrive.

I've been happy with Backblaze, however, what I will say is if you lost something and it is gone from your harddrive, chances are, it's not on backblaze either. I've had this happen with random layouts. For some reason they've been corrupted and then when they're just gone.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used OneDrive for a year now and would never not use a cloud service. I can access my files from any computer and not have to wait for a company to ship me my files if something goes wrong. Maybe the only drawback is when you make a change it starts saving immediately which could slow down a less powerful machine. You can always pause it and resume saving when you are done using your computer if it is a problem. But no matter what you chose, it's still better than not having anything.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used backblaze for years with no problems. I also have two EHD that are also backed up on backblaze.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have used BackBlaze for years and it has def saved my butt a few times! It backs up my main desktop and two 4 tb ehd attached to it.

I also use Amazon Prime Photos for my photos, and Shutterfly. I used to love shutterfly, but it no longer works as nice as it used too. I do occasionally upload photos to it.

I tried to use OneDrive, but it slows my new laptop down big time, because the newer computer have it set up to put all the files in it... what a pain. lol

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you everyone!!