Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-21-2021, 05:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Show Me Your Favorite Clusters

I'm trying to improve my ability to make my own clusters, but I need some inspiration.
Bonus if you add some of your thought process from when you're making clusters.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use 3's as my starting point for the flowers. I like overlapping and layering too.

I think this page is the basics of clustering. My left corner cluster is 3 flowers and 4 leaves. From there you adjust layers and amounts like the other two clusters. I used to find pages done with the same kits I had bought and then copy clusters element for element to get the feel of what went into other's clusters. Then I'd copy a cluster-y page with a totally different kit to mimic the look with what I had. Anyway, hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm no clustering expert, but I have been working to improve them over the last few years and I definitely see improvement! I usually start with three groupings on a page (sometimes one-I like and odd number for some reason!). I usually pick my favorite 3-4 flowers from the kit. More than that gets overwhelming. I like the clusters to coordinate but not be exactly the same. I just vary the size and layer order. Then I add foliage or two. Sometimes I'll add other elements to the cluster (tags, charms, wordstrips, etc.) depending on what's in the kit. I also don't think the clusters have to be big to be effective.

Three cluster example:

One big cluster example:

One with other non-floral elements mixed in:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I too start with fun greenery and layer from there with flowers, even on my boy layouts. I also like to tuck themed elements or word bits inside. I am no expert at it and am still learning too though...I like the others find a layout or even template with great clusters and work from there. I also try to work with the rule of threes...make a triangle with my clusters but not always. I sometimes have one giant cluster instead

Old 04-21-2021, 11:36 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am REALLY bad on doing those clusters with all flowers the girls do... but I have few pages where you can see I tried... lol

Lots of papers as banner:

Flowers/papers/foliages as "frame"

Foliages behind the picture and few things to, again, frame the picture.

What I think it is hard, for me, to cluster is to repeat elements and I don't usually add flowers to my pages...

Anyway, hope that helps. ♥
Old 04-21-2021, 12:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Pretty much every page in my gallery includes a clusters (I don't diversify much, lol). Here are few of my favs (not using templates):

Old 04-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Clusters are definitely not my strong point, but I was really happy with this one. Basically I just piled stuff on and didn't worry a lot if you could see it all individually.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Pretty much every page in my gallery includes a clusters (I don't diversify much, lol). Here are few of my favs (not using templates):

Old 04-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I suck. I rely on templates. When I try on my own they don't look that great. My favorite templates for clusters are Amber's of Southern Serenity.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:54 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Don't say you suck because you use templates! They're a tool just like our software programs, actions, styles, photo editors, etc. They're really helpful and fun to use, too!

Not every layout I make has clusters or flowers and I like to keep my style eclectic - I scrap however suits my mood at the moment. haha

When I do cluster, I tend to follow the odd-number of elements rule, too (greenery not included), and then repeat and adjust layers, etc. It makes the process quick. Other times, I just put everything I like in the kit on my layout and decide how to use it all. hahaha If the kit I'm using has some fun elements, I like to incorporate them, too. I usually just place them wherever I feel like it looks cute.

Some of my recent favorite clustery layouts

Old 04-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I like it when I can mix in different types/styles of greenery and include some non-floral elements into my clusters.

I also enjoy varying the sizes of my flowers in my clusters:

Old 04-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think almost all my pages have clustering.
I usually start with greenery. Then sometimes some ribbon or strings or swirly, then flowers... usually one is bigger than the rest and then i tuck them in all around. Then I sometimes pick one flower and make tiny and duplicate it a few times.
I also tend to duplicate clusters and resize them a little on another part of the page.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by StacyLynn; 04-21-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Clusters are not my strong suit, but I know I am observing you ladies that are really good at it and noticing that you often use more than one type of foliage in a single cluster. I am trying to incorporate that into my clusters and I think it makes a difference in the look.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I admire a cluster when the shadow is spot on. I have seen a couple of pages with a cluster that only has one foliage and two flowers on it, but the shadowing is what made it stood out.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

These are my best clustering because they're done with clustering in mind. I don't scrap like this for every single layout. That'd be exhausting! But when I do want to cluster, I start with one, then move on to the other. I used to want to use every single element in the kit, but really, using the same flower/foliage creates unity on the page and your clusters look better that way. I've also noticed that big, bold shadows often look better than shallow ones in clusters.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
Ha ha - totally agree - she is my cluster-creating-hero!!
Old 04-22-2021, 04:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have at least one (usually 3) good sized clusters on my page. I start with an assortment of greens and leaves and build the cluster from there. The shadows I use don't vary too much, however; I have been experimenting with deeper shadows to give my pages a bit more depth.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:37 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have been terrified of clusters since I started scrapping in March 2020, but slowly Em at TNP and her wonderful gals have been helping me be brave enough to give it a whirl and I am getting better.

I like templates with 'cluster templates' so I can use those as a starting point.
This one by Lorie (LJS) is my fave, I use it a lot.

Here is one of my layouts for TNP, that has helped me conquer my fear and I am learning clusters don't just have to be flowers.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like to cluster and do it on every page. Flowers/greenery/buttons/thread/string make me happy. I start with a few flowers/elements placed in the area I want to fill in.I tuck in cards and paper strips randomly. Then I start to build with more flowers/greenery, adding in other elements and finishing up with paint/stamps and yarn/ribbon/thread and maybe some buttons/flares. Sometimes I will highlight all the cluster layers and decrease size a bit if needed to fit the page and move it around slightly but always stay in the area I started with. I never know how my cluster is going to turn out until it's done and that makes it really fun, like a surprise at the end of the design process Here's a couple of mine with clustering.

Last edited by bcgal00; 04-28-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know, I throw everything but the kitchen sink on to my layout. I resize, move it around, under, over until it "looks" good. I always try to stick with odd number of things and try not to make it symmetrical or looking like the one side is the same as the other side.

See...everything but the kitchen sink

Good thread. I'm going to go through and see everyone's method of clustering to learn a few new things!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I am struggling with a cluster, sometimes I will open a new document and add the elements I want to put together on there. Then I group them and move them to my layout where I want them, play around a little more (resizing or moving) and call it good! Many times when I do it this way, I will save it as a cluster in the kit I used too, so I have it again when I go to use that kit another time!

Also, templates with clusters are my best help! I use them as a basis when doing my clusters. Sometimes I will add, subtract or move something, but it is a good starting point!

Keep playing and trying, and you will keep getting better and better!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Also, templates with clusters are my best help! I use them as a basis when doing my clusters. Sometimes I will add, subtract or move something, but it is a good starting point!
This is my method, too. Sometimes I'll just add what is on the template and other times I'll add all kinds of extra stuff or tweak it. Most times it depends on the page theme and what is in the kit. I get lots of inspiration from the gallery, too. Like sometimes it's just a simple thing I didn't think of - like layering a bow or ribbon into a cluster instead of thinking it had to be it's own thing somewhere else.