Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Printing Photo Books

Who do y'all use? Are some better than others?
I think I printed my last one some 8 or so years ago to be honest! I'm cutting it close to the wire with this gift and so I need a company who is fast and good!

Proudly creating for Traci Reed Happy Creator for Studio Basic Designs
Creative Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow Feb-Mar

GALLERY | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When Shutterfly has its unlimited free pages deal, that is when I order! I splurged last time and tried out the lay-flat pages and I was so so pleased with it. It is totally worth the extra money, in my opinion, because you don't lose anything in the gutter. I have also used Mixbook in the past, and they are also high quality, but more expensive.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
When Shutterfly has its unlimited free pages deal, that is when I order! I splurged last time and tried out the lay-flat pages and I was so so pleased with it. It is totally worth the extra money, in my opinion, because you don't lose anything in the gutter. I have also used Mixbook in the past, and they are also high quality, but more expensive.
what is the window time shutterfly usually has on their unlimited free pages? I'm never going to be ready for a book I swear lol
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Shutterfly generally has free (20 page) album coupons floating around that I use for vacation and Christmas albums.

I print my regular albums during their unlimited pages sales which I feel like happen quarterly? Maybe a little more often. They usually run a 40% sale at the same time. I'm able to cram a year into 2 100ish-page books that costs about $40 with the sale (their S&H is way overpriced, IMHO, but I can't complain much when I'm getting 80+ pages printed per album for free). They do send things media mail (which is the slowest) so you either need to get your album done ASAP or splurge on better/faster shipping.

I print all my albums as 8x8 softcovers and have had no issues besides things getting cut off the edges because (a) I like to scrap off the edge and (b) I'm too lazy to compensate for that when I'm getting my albums ready to print.

I upload my albums to their site once they're complete so I'm ready when their sales come around. I only have 2008-2010 printed but I have up until 2014 finished.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

awesome you guys, thanks!

Proudly creating for Traci Reed Happy Creator for Studio Basic Designs
Creative Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow Feb-Mar

GALLERY | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Old 12-04-2019, 12:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
what is the window time shutterfly usually has on their unlimited free pages? I'm never going to be ready for a book I swear lol
Usually three or four days. And they usually extend it one day past the first deadline, lol. I do the same as Leeandra and upload pages as I go so I am ready to print when they announce a sale. I usually do have to do a last-minute scramble to get the last few pages made, especially covers and title pages. Bane of my scrapping life! I am currently printed through fall of 2018, so I'm hoping to finish up that year soon and print it during their next sale.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Another one that uses Shutterfly unlimited page deals... I just started printing out my yearly books - geez, wish I did this sooner... you can imagine how many pages I have to print in the last 12 years!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I mostly use Photobook America. They don't ship very fast because it comes from Indonesia (I think?) but they have sales all the time when you sign up for their emails (it actually comes too often... one email everyday is insane!)
and I find the photo printing better than Shutterfly.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m a Shutterfly lay flat fan too! It’s pricey but soooo nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also wait for Shutterfly's Unlimited page sale! The last few years I've only printed my trip albums, but it's great to have printed pages, no matter what they are!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Blurb is my favorite, but their prices aren't as good as Shutterfly. They do often send out coupons though if you're on their email mailing list. I had two books printed during the last Shutterfly unlimited pages sale, and I was a bit bummed to have a few things cut off, even though they were showing as being in the "safe zone" when I previewed my books on the website. I don't know if that's normal or not because that was my first time using Shutterfly (which is crazy, I know!).
Old 12-04-2019, 04:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I mostly use Photobook America. They don't ship very fast because it comes from Indonesia (I think?) but they have sales all the time when you sign up for their emails (it actually comes too often... one email everyday is insane!)
and I find the photo printing better than Shutterfly.
I use Photobook America too. I've used many vendors in the past. Their sales have gotten less impressive over time. You used to be able to combine pre-paid vouchers and coupons, but now you have to choose. The pre-paid options is good if you're printing less than 80 pages. I'm currently printing around 200 page books, which are $75 including tax/shipping, etc (8x8). They have a 300 page max for all photobooks except lay-flat which has a max of 150. Per page fees seem to vary (and are not published on their site), but are currently running $0.75.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Another Shutterfly unlimited pager here.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been very please with Paper Kiwi. They are out of Utah. I've had great customer service. Turn around time is probably about a week or so.

I'm going to look into Photobook America based on the above comments. It is hard to find somebody that prints lay flat 12x12 105 pages for Project Life.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I use Photobook America too. I've used many vendors in the past. Their sales have gotten less impressive over time. You used to be able to combine pre-paid vouchers and coupons, but now you have to choose. The pre-paid options is good if you're printing less than 80 pages. I'm currently printing around 200 page books, which are $75 including tax/shipping, etc (8x8). They have a 300 page max for all photobooks except lay-flat which has a max of 150. Per page fees seem to vary (and are not published on their site), but are currently running $0.75.
I've used them and I like the quality, but I agree that their sales have not been that impressive recently. They were the ones who did the unlimited page sale first but I haven't seen it since Shutterfly started doing it. Which is a shame because I do like their books. I printed my most recent book last month with Shutterfly. Around $55 with shipping for 2 86-page books. I added a border around all my layouts and haven't lost anything at all in the gutter.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use AdoramaPix because they were the first place I could afford with lay flat pages. When Shutterfly started doing layflat pages, I was thrilled because they have such good promotions. However, the last time I printed an album, it was cheaper at Adorama! I follow their FB page so I know when their sales are.

PS AdoramaPix has changed their name to https://www.printique.com/.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have printed 2 with Blurb & I'm very happy with them. One is a project life, so 104 pages I guess, and the other is 100 pages. I used 50% and 35% coupons (40% had expired & I just couldn't wait, haha!) I'm super happy with them! They were each between $65 and $80...the quality is worth it & I figured if I were still paper-scrapbooking, I would have spent more than that on album (probably 2 for that many pages) and page protectors!

PS-- Blurb has 40% off for the next few hours! And their recommended order-by for Christmas Eve delivery is the 11th.

Last edited by knittingbec; 12-04-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLee View Post
I've used them and I like the quality, but I agree that their sales have not been that impressive recently. They were the ones who did the unlimited page sale first but I haven't seen it since Shutterfly started doing it. Which is a shame because I do like their books. I printed my most recent book last month with Shutterfly. Around $55 with shipping for 2 86-page books. I added a border around all my layouts and haven't lost anything at all in the gutter.
Yeah, it's disappointing. I priced out my current books at a few places and because I have so many pages, they were comparable or cheaper than the competitors, so I went with them. I add a ¼" border around my pages too. I run an action at the same time I save my pages to upload to the gallery. I bought four - 8x8 / 80 page books for $8/each. Each one will have $10 shipping, but $18 books are pretty hard to beat!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Blurb is my favorite, but their prices aren't as good as Shutterfly. They do often send out coupons though if you're on their email mailing list. I had two books printed during the last Shutterfly unlimited pages sale, and I was a bit bummed to have a few things cut off, even though they were showing as being in the "safe zone" when I previewed my books on the website. I don't know if that's normal or not because that was my first time using Shutterfly (which is crazy, I know!).
You should complain then and add screenshots. If it's a good company they will redo the books for you.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use Winkflash and love my albums from them. I'm holding out for their flat-rate sale. If they don't have one by my birthday, I'm going to have to explore another company.

https://www.winkflash.com/
Old 12-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for asking Amy, I've been looking for ideas lately too.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just ordered 2 Shutterfly albums yesterday morning and they say they will get to me next week even with the cheapest shipping, which I picked because these aren't gifts. I think they are geared up for holiday printing jobs so things are going to be done a bit faster than typical for some other times of the year. Everything is 50% off right now too, and there is a free shipping code on their Facebook page if you look it up
Shutterfly is not the best quality books I've ever ordered - love Printique (formerly AdoramaPix - same company, just changed their name) for super high quality - but for the price it can't be beat. I've always been able to get the price of my faves albums down to around $20-$25 depending on how many pages are in them.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I recently had my first album printed - after asking for advice here, I went with Shutterfly and couldn't be happier with the result - I'll take some pics in the morning and post them. The quality is amazing and I love the lay flat pages!!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Another question for you ladies, what sizes are you printing your books at?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am also a Shutterfly girl... their customer service is wonderful. I had one book reprinted 3 times and the mistake was mine the first time and theirs the second... Also had one book not arrive by the date, so they expressed another to me, a week later the first one showed up, they said keep it.
I know the colors are bit darker with Shutterfly but with the coupons and deals, the prices are usually the best... but I am open to trying another company if the cost is on the lower end.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 12-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpychompers View Post
Most of my books are 12x12, but I love the 10x10 and 8x8 for special occasions. I have also done two 11x14 books for my girls for graduation gifts.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 12-10-2019, 09:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've used Presto Photo for about 10 years now and I've done 40 ish books with them. They have great prices and I love the 8.5x8.5 size, however, they aren't super fast.

https://www.prestophoto.com/
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have used Photobook Canada, Shutterfly, and Blurb.

Blurb is my favourite as I can go to the Canadian site get my cost in Cdn and pay in Cdn the quality is great. I have used Shutterfly for 10x10 and 6x6 but have had the same issue of the pages lining up on their site but when I get the book it is cut off.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpychompers View Post
I almost always print 8x8. Since I print multiple copies of books for family, it's a good balance of quality and economy. Plus they are easier to stack on shelves than larger sizes.