Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Viet Nam

Do any of you ladies live in Viet Nam or have traveled there? My sister leaves tomorrow morning to go to Viet Nam and then Cambodia on a trip for her company. She works for a company that supports literacy programs throughout the world and twice a year they send teams to different areas to help with the programs.

She is in charge of nine other employees, so she is already slightly stressed about taking care of everyone. Yesterday, we went an had our pedi's done and many of the ladies in our saloon are from Viet Nam and totally freaked my sister out with stories about violence towards tourists. The older woman who owns the shop was saying she should not go, she should stay where it is safe. I told my sister she did need to be cautious, but if it wasn't safe, her company would not be sending them and that she needs to remember many of those women left their home for a reason, what ever it may be.

Anyway, she is getting on the plane early in the morning and still freaking out, so I thought I would ask if anyone knew any tips or real concerns about travel in the area. I know she will be in Saigon, but I forget the whole itinerary. Anything you all can tell me that will soothe her nerves is greatly appreciate.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My friend and her husband just got back from a 3 week holiday in Vietnam. They loved it. She didn't mention any security problems, and quite often they were away from the main cities.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
My friend and her husband just got back from a 3 week holiday in Vietnam. They loved it. She didn't mention any security problems, and quite often they were away from the main cities.
You know Jacinda, I told my sister that many of the ladies probably had some bad memories and that was influencing their comments. We are not experience travelers so we are always nervous going some where for the first time. This is a big adventure for her and I want her to enjoy it, not be afraid.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Viet Nam is on my bucket list...sigh...someday...

DH's cousin went to Cambodia a few months ago and they had a great time.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This website has some good information about the level of safety:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...eania/vietnam/

I hope she will be with a group most of the time... and that she can feel safe and not worry too much so she can have a pleasant experience.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the link Brook. She will be with a group and they will have guides the entire time, so I am really sure she will be fine. We talked briefly and she said she is feeling better, figures she was having the last minute jitters. She has been to Japan and Scotland alone for business, so I think she will be fine in this group too. When I hung up, she was looking forward to taking books to the kids, even had packed an extra suitcase full of just books, so I am feeling better. I hope she has a great time and gets home soon. She is my best friend so I miss her when she is gone.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have traveled to Vietnam several times and had a wonderful experience! While traveling, you want to stay in the main areas and avoid putting yourself in harms way but the people have always been amazingly helpful! We have been to HoChiMihn as well as Hanoi...then we took a multi day trip into the heartland on a private boat and visited local villages.

I hope she has a great trip!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My friend travels to poorer countries on medical missions (she is a nurse) and she has been to both places. I just remember her saying that in Cambodia they all had to dress very conservatively (nothing sleeveless and maybe not even shorts) because an entire generation of women are mainly prostitutes and you don't want to be mistaken for one.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Ladies!

Mary, my sister and her group were aware of the dress code thing, so she is prepared for that. She is on her way now and I am still praying that she has a great trip too!