Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default plantar fasciitis...

so anyone have this or have experience on how to treat/deal with it? I've had it for 5 years and only occasionally have issues with it... but manOman. when I do, it is brutal. the last big flair I had required 3 cortisone injections into the tendon attachment in my heel followed by 12 weeks of physiotherapy. bleh.

atm I'm scrambling to get the house in order and organized in an effort to make summer [and all of its activities] more bearable AND trying to get ready for our big vacation to the beach this weekend. I'm doing all the stretches and exercises I know of/can remember, on top of icing it at night. but nothing seems to really be helping and I'm quickly reaching the 'unable to walk on it' level of pain.

thoughts or suggestions??
Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ended up wearing a boot for a while. It was not fun but it did the trick.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I tried a boot at night the last time around... but didn't think it helped me much. sadly, I think I gave the thing away & am now wishing I had the option to TRY it again! did you buy the boot yourself, Liz? or did you get it through a Podiatrist?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man. Been there, done that. Plus, I was an idiot who didn't go to the doctor for months. When I did, he gave me an anti-inflamatory that really helped a lot.

I only have pain now when I wear shoes without support (like flip flops).
Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
I tried a boot at night the last time around... but didn't think it helped me much. sadly, I think I gave the thing away & am now wishing I had the option to TRY it again! did you buy the boot yourself, Liz? or did you get it through a Podiatrist?
I actually borrowed my mom's which she got from her orthopedist. She had plantar faciitis as well. I was in law school and in Boston and all the walking took a toll on my feet. I wore it during the day. I looked weird but it really helped.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any experience but just want you to know I'm thinking of ya.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom has been dealing with it for years. She finally started seeing a sports chiropractor a few months ago and for the first time in at least two years is completely pain free and now has more flexibility than ever before in that foot and ankle.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

no suggestions but wanted to give you some hugs!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have had bilateral plantar fasciitis for over a year now, but I think it's related to my low thyroid. I'm hoping once I get my thyroid sort, the feet will improve too.

As for management, I made sure I got proper professionally fitted running shoes, and they made a huge difference. I've read a lot about people who successfully use essential oils on their feet for the pain, but I haven't tried it myself yet as my pain isn't too bad. Mary Morse Larsen would be able to advise further on the oil side of things.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use inserts in my shoes and when I have a flair up I make sure I always have shoes with support on my feet. Even when I wear heals to work - I make sure I have some kind of support in there.

Hoping you'll find some kind of relief and will feel better soon!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

thanks so much, Girls! Like Jacinda, I have it in both feet, but it's far worse in my left. I'm really careful about it usually, I have really high arches so all my shoes have special inserts and I basically live in my Birkenstocks, I never go barefoot and do my stretches regularly. but I think after I severely sprained my right ankle 7 months ago [which has left half my foot numb & is still swollen] I think I've over taxed my left foot because of how weak and unstable my right ankle continues to be. no fun at all.

I hadn't thought about the chiropractor route and think I will check into that right after I get back from vacation. I'd also be keen to learn more about the details of essential oil pain management, if anyone cares to share, as I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs because of my history with ulcers. greatly appreciate all your help and kindness!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Loni, I've pointed Mary this way - she'll have the scoop for you.

My physio said bilateral plantar fasciitis is not normal/common. He says there's usually an underlying factor causing it (as opposed to when it just affects one foot). He advised me to get full blood tests, B12 and thyroid tests done too. Although my tests eventually all came back normal, I still think it's thyroid related, so I'm going the essential oil route now. Have just bought the oils, and will try them out once I get back to NZ.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Loni - so sorry to hear you are in so much pain! I had PF years ago, but thankfully it went away after about a year while I wore supportive shoes all the time and hasn't come back. But if it does, this time I will definitely be using essential oils.

There are a few you can use for pain like PanAway and Deep Relief, and then Lemongrass is amazing for inflammation. I've also seen a combo of RC, Valor, and Wintergreen recommended. You can put any of those right on your feet and you can take Lemongrass internally. And all of those oils can be used for multiple things. It's important to be consistent though. You can't really overdose on oils, so you can put them on multiple times a day.

*Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor or nurse or anything related to the medical field. LOL Just a believer and user of Young Living essential oils.

If anyone would ever be interested in an online class about these, that can be arranged using FB.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've suffered from PF in the past and it's no fun. Right now I have Metatarsalgia, which is equally bad, but different (at the ball of the foot). I've been icing several times a day, taking Advil and using inserts to cushion the area. It's so hard when you have weight-bearing pain
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

something that helps, is at the computer, get a rubber ball (I got a dogs one with bumps on it) and you roll it back and forth on the arch and it is remarkable. When it is unbearable, I take a frozen water bottle and roll back and forth.
The best thing for me was when I started dong Body Pump, and the lunges. I HATE lunges..but they so strengthened the core of the problem.

Living life to the fullest!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I've had it for several years-at one point the pain was so bad that I had to have cortizone shots. After awhile that didn't really help either. One doctor suggested I try shoe inserts called "Super Feet", finally I bought the inserts (about $30, I think)-I put them in my tennis shoes and voila' the pain eventually disappeared. I had tried the boot thing at night-but it only made all the other parts of my leg ache and I couldn't sleep with it on! For me I try to never go barefoot, mostly wear my tennis shoes all the time-for winter I wear Nike boots and have the "Super Feet" inserts in them as well. I hope you can find something that works for you! PF is a real pain in the foot!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had PF really bad last year and went to a really expensive shoe store. They told me that I HAVE to wear better shoes or it would get out of control. So I tried using "Haflingers" for my house shoes and they really helped. I also got some sandals called SAS (San Antonio Shoe Co.). It's really important to wear good shoes or else you'll be miserable. Do NOT wear flip flops . Makes it way worse. Oh, and my winter shoes now are Dansko. Love those!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ouch! sadly, i have PF too ... i use a variety of things to help:

1) i had a great sports chiro who specialized in ART (active release techniques) ... he moved out of state and i haven't found anyone i like as much

2) i use essential oils - i use young living and as mentioned above, i do valor, RC, wintergreen and lemongrass

3) i am LOVING my new Vionic shoes .. i have these flip flops and just ordered the sandals.
http://www.zappos.com/vionic-with-or...-sequins-black
http://www.zappos.com/vionic-with-or...y-cancun-black

4) sometimes i sleep with a boot - but i find it extremely uncomfortable and not that helpful ..

good luck!!!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio