Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Do You Have any Scrapping "Difficulties"?

Do you have certain things that you find difficult or maybe you just don't love doing them?

I have three - I struggle to use alpha and I find "Whitespace Style" extremely difficult. I also struggle with journaling.

How about you? Please tell me I'm not alone.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lol, I definitely don't think you're alone.
Different styles are certainly harder for some than others.

What is it that "blocks" you with alphas? or whitespace? or journaling?

Scrapbooking wise, I don't really have any struggles. Now if we're talking my "newest" hobby (adult coloring), then I can list many....lol

But just like with digi-scrap I'm going to set my mind to learn the things I want to know how to do.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was JUST thinking about this today!

I really admire "messy" pages that are well executed, but I absolutely cannot make them myself. The pages people make with Little Butterfly Wings' products are so, so beautiful to me, but when I try to create those type of pages, I hate the process and the result, even though I love the products. I was on Ru's team for a while, and, while it was glorious being surrounded by such talent, I always felt like such a fraud.

I've finally accepted that I'll never make beautiful, messy pages, and I'm okay with that.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post

I really admire "messy" pages that are well executed, but I absolutely cannot make them myself. The pages people make with Little Butterfly Wings' products are so, so beautiful to me, but when I try to create those type of pages, I hate the process and the result, even though I love the products. I was on Ru's team for a while, and, while it was glorious being surrounded by such talent, I always felt like such a fraud.

I've finally accepted that I'll never make beautiful, messy pages, and I'm okay with that.
I can't do messy either. It totally messes with my OCD and therefore my head. I also have this weird thing with symmetry that I have to battle and then there is the fact that every adjustment I make has to have a number that ends in zero and five. For instance, I can adjust opacity to 90 or 95, but I can't adjust to 92. It has to be a zero or five. How whackadoodle is that? LOL
Old 10-17-2022, 10:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

There are definitely some things I love on other people's pages but don't do on my own. White space pages is one of them--if I have a photo that deserves its own page, it needs to be big or the rest of the page needs to be filled with journaling! Much as I love the whitespace look when other scrappers do it, it feels like wasted space on my pages because I know how many other photos I want to get scrapped and printed.

There are other styles I can't pull off (like art journaling), but it doesn't especially bother me. I have a style, and I enjoy scrapping more when I admit that and don't try too hard to force other styles. Earlier in my scrapping I tried more new things, but at this point that feels like extra pressure that takes the joy out of scrapping for me.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not sure about difficulty but I used to really struggle with single photo pages. I am so behind on my scrapbooking that I want to pack as many photos into a page as possible. Get the whole event in one layout...and done! My recent road trips have changed that bc I hate shrinking the photos. Also my kids now take pics and hubby is better about taking them so I have tons of photos from trips...day to day not so much.

I struggle with clustering sometimes and shadows...I don't feel like I get enough dimension with them but I do enough to make me happy.

I love using alphas just get inpatient sometimes. I think I want to scrap faster so I skip adding the fun details that I love having on my pages.

If you want to try a messy page or a different style I highly suggest finding someone here in the galleries that you love and lift their page. Don't get creative and make it your own...just lift it (make sure you give them credit). Practice with the pages and you will get there. The messy pages aren't my thing either but I am learning to stretch outside my comfort zone and to them more.

I also struggle with the mixed media...I kind of get the paint but then the paint with elements mixed in throw me sometimes. I suggest just playing like you would if it were real and in person.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do agree with the ladies here.
Do what works best for you. And if you want to try things out, lifting others is perfectly acceptable
In fact, when I was starting to learn to cluster things, I'd buy the same kit and lift someone's page exactly, it helped me get a feel for why things clustered in certain ways.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also struggle with journaling, it always feels awkward to me. Perhaps because most of my pages go in photobooks and I give copies to parents/ILs. I don't mind dropping a quote or poem onto a page, but I very rarely have large word counts.

I admire all styles of scrapping, but I'm not good at art-journaling or "filling up" my canvas.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Lol, I definitely don't think you're alone.
Different styles are certainly harder for some than others.

What is it that "blocks" you with alphas? or whitespace? or journaling?

Scrapbooking wise, I don't really have any struggles. Now if we're talking my "newest" hobby (adult coloring), then I can list many....lol

But just like with digi-scrap I'm going to set my mind to learn the things I want to know how to do.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post

My pages always end up messy. LOL

Old 10-17-2022, 11:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I can't do messy either. It totally messes with my OCD and therefore my head. I also have this weird thing with symmetry that I have to battle and then there is the fact that every adjustment I make has to have a number that ends in zero and five. For instance, I can adjust opacity to 90 or 95, but I can't adjust to 92. It has to be a zero or five. How whackadoodle is that? LOL

Old 10-17-2022, 11:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
There are definitely some things I love on other people's pages but don't do on my own. White space pages is one of them--if I have a photo that deserves its own page, it needs to be big or the rest of the page needs to be filled with journaling! Much as I love the whitespace look when other scrappers do it, it feels like wasted space on my pages because I know how many other photos I want to get scrapped and printed.

There are other styles I can't pull off (like art journaling), but it doesn't especially bother me. I have a style, and I enjoy scrapping more when I admit that and don't try too hard to force other styles. Earlier in my scrapping I tried more new things, but at this point that feels like extra pressure that takes the joy out of scrapping for me.
That's good that you just do your own style!

Old 10-17-2022, 11:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Not sure about difficulty but I used to really struggle with single photo pages. I am so behind on my scrapbooking that I want to pack as many photos into a page as possible. Get the whole event in one layout...and done! My recent road trips have changed that bc I hate shrinking the photos. Also my kids now take pics and hubby is better about taking them so I have tons of photos from trips...day to day not so much.

I struggle with clustering sometimes and shadows...I don't feel like I get enough dimension with them but I do enough to make me happy.

I love using alphas just get inpatient sometimes. I think I want to scrap faster so I skip adding the fun details that I love having on my pages.

If you want to try a messy page or a different style I highly suggest finding someone here in the galleries that you love and lift their page. Don't get creative and make it your own...just lift it (make sure you give them credit). Practice with the pages and you will get there. The messy pages aren't my thing either but I am learning to stretch outside my comfort zone and to them more.

I also struggle with the mixed media...I kind of get the paint but then the paint with elements mixed in throw me sometimes. I suggest just playing like you would if it were real and in person.
I stretch myself too, but I'm usually not always happy with a page when I do.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I also struggle with journaling, it always feels awkward to me. Perhaps because most of my pages go in photobooks and I give copies to parents/ILs. I don't mind dropping a quote or poem onto a page, but I very rarely have large word counts.

I admire all styles of scrapping, but I'm not good at art-journaling or "filling up" my canvas.
LOL Sheri - your pages are always amazing. I'm a fill-the-page scrapper so I think I run out of room for journaling.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Messy is my jam! My favorite kind of page to make is a messy boy page or art journal type page.

White space pages are definitely a challenge for me. I love the look when others do it but for me the page always seems unfinished. Plus the kits always have so much good stuff in them that I want to use it all! I also hate, hate, hate scrapping events (birthdays, Christmas, Halloween,etc.) I think it's because the photos are usually poor quality. I hate scrapping bad photos. They don't inspire me. If I have to scrap them, I try to do some creative editing on the photo to make it more fun and interesting.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:18 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I definitely have my own style. It comes from the traditional scrapbooking I did for 8 years aka the CM style. Telling the story with photos and words.

I just can't get into messy or art journaling. And, mixed media just doesn't appeal to me at all. I want my photos to be the focus of my pages so usually tend to have minimal elements although I have learned to do better clusters. I will admit that I learned that by using templates from Fiddle-Dee-Dee. Cheryl is a master at clusters and watching her scrap she makes it look so dang easy!

I really admire a lot of the pages that have big full clusters but I can never get the shadowing right when I try it. My program does not do shadows the same as the PS family of programs but I'm now subscribed to some tutorials that are helping with that.

I don't really like doing single photo pages but once in awhile that is what the photo itself requires but I tend to put the photo as close to center as possible!
Old 10-18-2022, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I struggle with white pages and shadowing. Oh and butterflies...I can NOT get the dang placement for them to look right. I LOVE them used on other people's page. Another thing I struggle with is scattering tiny little elements.

I do LOVE me a messy page! They are my favorite.
I feel like I can just create and not really have to worry too much about rules. Give me all of the paint and mixed media elements. If I'm unsure of what to do with an element I'll look at the designers samples or other pages similar.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Messy, artsy, mixed media are the hardest. But I think it's because I like my photos to be the focus of the pages, plus I like to journal about the event. I also agree that holidays are hard to scrap. I think it's because there are usually so many photos I don't know where to start!!

Some of my favorite pages can end up being ones I don't post. Usually because I throw things from so many designers to fit the look I want, I start loosing track of what products I have used, so I don't bother to post them. Those are the pages scrapped just for me. Which is probably what makes them my favorites! I'm not fitting any one style, but my own.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Messy is my jam! My favorite kind of page to make is a messy boy page or art journal type page.

White space pages are definitely a challenge for me. I love the look when others do it but for me the page always seems unfinished. Plus the kits always have so much good stuff in them that I want to use it all! I also hate, hate, hate scrapping events (birthdays, Christmas, Halloween,etc.) I think it's because the photos are usually poor quality. I hate scrapping bad photos. They don't inspire me. If I have to scrap them, I try to do some creative editing on the photo to make it more fun and interesting.
I'm right there with you!

Old 10-19-2022, 04:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I definitely have my own style. It comes from the traditional scrapbooking I did for 8 years aka the CM style. Telling the story with photos and words.

I just can't get into messy or art journaling. And, mixed media just doesn't appeal to me at all. I want my photos to be the focus of my pages so usually tend to have minimal elements although I have learned to do better clusters. I will admit that I learned that by using templates from Fiddle-Dee-Dee. Cheryl is a master at clusters and watching her scrap she makes it look so dang easy!

I really admire a lot of the pages that have big full clusters but I can never get the shadowing right when I try it. My program does not do shadows the same as the PS family of programs but I'm now subscribed to some tutorials that are helping with that.

I don't really like doing single photo pages but once in awhile that is what the photo itself requires but I tend to put the photo as close to center as possible!
Your pages are perfect and we do all have our own style! My dd used to say she wanted to scrap like me, but I told her to scrap like herself. She kept trying to change her style and it just wasn't her.

Good for you for sticking to what you like!

Old 10-19-2022, 04:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammybean04 View Post
I struggle with white pages and shadowing. Oh and butterflies...I can NOT get the dang placement for them to look right. I LOVE them used on other people's page. Another thing I struggle with is scattering tiny little elements.

I do LOVE me a messy page! They are my favorite.
I feel like I can just create and not really have to worry too much about rules. Give me all of the paint and mixed media elements. If I'm unsure of what to do with an element I'll look at the designers samples or other pages similar.
It takes me so long to do a white space LO (only when I have to for a challenge like MOC) than idoes a super messy page. I'm working on a basic shadowing tutorial right now for Pink Reptile Designs. I think it's going to be on Instagram instead of the blog. Somebody asked for that in "Ask The Pink Ladies". Maybe I'll add in some clustering, - or maybe I'll do that for my next tutorial - a couple of you have mentioned those and shadowing on them. Hmmmmmmm I'm going to post in ATPL Forum when it's posted.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Messy, artsy, mixed media are the hardest. But I think it's because I like my photos to be the focus of the pages, plus I like to journal about the event. I also agree that holidays are hard to scrap. I think it's because there are usually so many photos I don't know where to start!!

Some of my favorite pages can end up being ones I don't post. Usually because I throw things from so many designers to fit the look I want, I start loosing track of what products I have used, so I don't bother to post them. Those are the pages scrapped just for me. Which is probably what makes them my favorites! I'm not fitting any one style, but my own.
I'm starting at the end of your post because I do the same thing. It's so hard to keep track of tons of designers that I put on one page. LOL I know others have their "systems" but I just have to look at the layers.

I love messy and mixed media and a lot of my pages don't have photos on them. I know it would be different for me if I had a ton of pictures that needed to be scrapped. My kids are grown but I have quite a few pics of my grands, that keeps me busy enough.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Kiana - I've done this as well. It is very helpful!

I love the kit previews that have layouts using the kits. One of the reasons I shop here at SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I do agree with the ladies here.
Do what works best for you. And if you want to try things out, lifting others is perfectly acceptable
In fact, when I was starting to learn to cluster things, I'd buy the same kit and lift someone's page exactly, it helped me get a feel for why things clustered in certain ways.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't enjoy doing a lot of journaling because it's out there on the internet for everyone to see. If I'm going to journal, I want it on a solid paper so it can be easily read and sometimes the kit I'm using only has pattern paper. Sometimes I journal on paint to help make it more readable, but mostly I add the person's name and a date and call it good.

I also don't use alphas much. I love the different looks, but I'm impatient and don't want to place each letter individually. I prefer to use ready-made word art or even fonts with a paper or style clipped to it for my titles because that's quicker.

I scrap in lots of styles, but traditional with a little mixed media is probably my most common right now. I'm comfortable with mixed media products, but I don't consider myself an AJ scrapper as I tend to use mm products on my normal layouts instead of scrapping therapeutically. I love paint and scatters and I tend to fill up pages with clusters more than I used to.

I don't do many multi-photo pages either. I LOVE BIG photo pages and often use them as the background. They're so easy with digi... no going to the photo lab to get enlargements. Plus, digital paint, blend modes and control Z are my best friends. It's so fun to play with different settings and I can waste a lot of time tweaking things to get it just right.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Art journal and messy layouts are super hard for me.

Other than that, finding TIME to scrap is my biggest challenge right now.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly sometimes the most difficult thing for me is to start a layout. I tend to scrap events, vacations, holidays, etc, that have lots of photos, so just narrowing down the photos, and figuring out what template I want to use is the most difficult. Once I figure out the photos I want to use, and find a template that works then I can kind of zone out and pick papers and embellish. Figuring out the photos and template for me is often the most difficult step. That's one reason I've embraced pocket scrapbooking because it makes choosing a template easier.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepscrappin View Post
I don't enjoy doing a lot of journaling because it's out there on the internet for everyone to see. If I'm going to journal, I want it on a solid paper so it can be easily read and sometimes the kit I'm using only has pattern paper. Sometimes I journal on paint to help make it more readable, but mostly I add the person's name and a date and call it good.

I also don't use alphas much. I love the different looks, but I'm impatient and don't want to place each letter individually. I prefer to use ready-made word art or even fonts with a paper or style clipped to it for my titles because that's quicker.

I scrap in lots of styles, but traditional with a little mixed media is probably my most common right now. I'm comfortable with mixed media products, but I don't consider myself an AJ scrapper as I tend to use mm products on my normal layouts instead of scrapping therapeutically. I love paint and scatters and I tend to fill up pages with clusters more than I used to.

I don't do many multi-photo pages either. I LOVE BIG photo pages and often use them as the background. They're so easy with digi... no going to the photo lab to get enlargements. Plus, digital paint, blend modes and control Z are my best friends. It's so fun to play with different settings and I can waste a lot of time tweaking things to get it just right.
I think we have a similar style - we love big photos. Haha Also, I know that's what my problem is with alphas - I'm very impatient and too much of a perfectionist. They just never look perfectly aligned and I spend way too much time on them. I agree about the journaling too - I don't care for everybody to read it, online. I often write on the back of my layouts after I get them printed, especiall if there's something I want to document or remember. I did that when I was a paper scrapper, too.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
Honestly sometimes the most difficult thing for me is to start a layout. I tend to scrap events, vacations, holidays, etc, that have lots of photos, so just narrowing down the photos, and figuring out what template I want to use is the most difficult. Once I figure out the photos I want to use, and find a template that works then I can kind of zone out and pick papers and embellish. Figuring out the photos and template for me is often the most difficult step. That's one reason I've embraced pocket scrapbooking because it makes choosing a template easier.
That can defomote;u be a difficult thing! If I decide to use a template, finding the right one can take time. When I scrap photographs (I don't always) but when I do, I almost always start with the picture and a pre-conceived notion of what I want to do. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out and I have to go to Plan B or C.
Tonight, I tried 3 times and just couldn't make it work. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Art journal and messy layouts are super hard for me.

Other than that, finding TIME to scrap is my biggest challenge right now.
Finding the time can definitely be tough! I really used to have trouble finding time when I paper scrapped. About the AJ and Messy Layouts, they're not everybody's cup of tea, that's for sure.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
Honestly sometimes the most difficult thing for me is to start a layout. I tend to scrap events, vacations, holidays, etc, that have lots of photos, so just narrowing down the photos, and figuring out what template I want to use is the most difficult. Once I figure out the photos I want to use, and find a template that works then I can kind of zone out and pick papers and embellish.
This! I haven't scrapped in about a week and a half, and this is most of the reason. All of the pages I have left to do for my current album have SO.MANY.PHOTOS! Narrowing them down to pick a handful to scrap is by far my least favorite part of scrapping. (The other reason is that I'm working on a crochet project I'm excited about, so it's been easy to just default to that instead of dealing with the photos. I'll tackle the photos soon...)
Old 10-22-2022, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like a lot of styles but the hardest for me is a white space page. I just can't see the value in teeny tiny elements and photos. I like my photos to be the main focus. I also like symmetry so I use a lot of templates but I often tweak them to my liking. I also struggle with alphas and tend to gravitate more towards finding fonts instead or using the word art or titles that come with the kit. I hate journaling and I'm lucky to squeeze one or two sentences on a page. I print a lot of the pages I make for my dil's album and tell her she should journal on the back of the page if she has a story to tell.
I love messy, artsy pages but I'm not very good at them. I just can't seem to be creative enough to make them look good. I'm going to take the advice of others and scraplift a few to see if I can get the hang of it.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
This! I haven't scrapped in about a week and a half, and this is most of the reason. All of the pages I have left to do for my current album have SO.MANY.PHOTOS! Narrowing them down to pick a handful to scrap is by far my least favorite part of scrapping. (The other reason is that I'm working on a crochet project I'm excited about, so it's been easy to just default to that instead of dealing with the photos. I'll tackle the photos soon...)
That's a dilemma, for sure. Can you find some templates with lots of photo openings, maybe? That always jump starts me.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidia G View Post
I like a lot of styles but the hardest for me is a white space page. I just can't see the value in teeny tiny elements and photos. I like my photos to be the main focus. I also like symmetry so I use a lot of templates but I often tweak them to my liking. I also struggle with alphas and tend to gravitate more towards finding fonts instead or using the word art or titles that come with the kit. I hate journaling and I'm lucky to squeeze one or two sentences on a page. I print a lot of the pages I make for my dil's album and tell her she should journal on the back of the page if she has a story to tell.
I love messy, artsy pages but I'm not very good at them. I just can't seem to be creative enough to make them look good. I'm going to take the advice of others and scraplift a few to see if I can get the hang of it.
You sound so much like me. I journal on the back of my pages when I get them back from the printer. I'm not good at journaling either, because I fill my pages and then don't know where to put it.

ITA about white space - I feel the same way. Alphas drive me crazy unless they're really small. I have some "itty bitty" ones that are easier to use. I can never get them lined up right. When I do use them, it takes me longer to get them on the page than anything else. I've been using them for the date, if they're for a CT and I need to use them.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:57 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
Alphas drive me crazy unless they're really small. I have some "itty bitty" ones that are easier to use. I can never get them lined up right. When I do use them, it takes me longer to get them on the page than anything else. I've been using them for the date, if they're for a CT and I need to use them.
Now that I have learned a few tricks with Paint Shop Pro, I actually don't mind using alphas. The one trick I did know was how to align them so they did line up although it was tricky if there were letters like g, p or y in the words since I would always use "bottom align". I could never get them sized right but now I know how to do it. I'm finding myself using alphas even more these days.