Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Red face Inappropriate.

Okay so...have you ever laughed at a funeral? I like to think I'm a compassionate person but we had an inappropriate moment this weekend that we're still giggling a bit about...The backstory: here in appalachia, there are a lot of people who really struggle with drug addiction. I know drug addiction is everywhere, but there is REALLY a lot here...so all the time, our brother is stopping by and saying "so and so OD'd, or so and so got arrested, " that sort of thing.

Well brother stopped by this weekend and said that his cousin (he is our half brother, he has a different mom than tabby and me). Stacey had overdosed. This isn't funny. It's sad and tragic. No one is giggling. Tabby knew Stacey (he's a boy) and said she had sat next to him in high school english.

well we go into the kitchen and start making dinner, whilst brother is in the living room with the kids, and tabatha starts humming like she usually does. I don't even notice at first till I started humming along, thinking "what song IS that?

And I realize she's singing Stacy's Mom (has got it going on) by Fountains of Wayne.

And I tell her to shush! And she's like, "what?" And I tell her that she needs to shush her subconscious up, and she realizes what is stuck in her head and starts giggling. And then I start giggling, and thank goodness brother doesn't know what's going on...but anyway that's the story. thought someone else might enjoy our inappropriateness.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LMAO!! I actually started singing that after you said it!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I inappropriateness.

I actually laughed DURING my grandfathers funeral. Some silly memory of him popped into my head, and then I got the giggles and couldn't stop. I don't care though, it wasn't disgracing his memory, it was celebrating it, kwim?
Hmm....maybe that's why Grandma seems to hate me now.......
Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL. I always get the giggles with my sisters... even when it is inappropriate!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh man...totally inappropriate, but still funny.

I have actually laughed at a funeral. At my Great Grandfather's funeral a elderly man fell asleep and started snoring. I knew I was going to laugh and quickly left the room.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think that I have ever laughed at a funeral, but I have at Church when my Uncle sneezed and his false teeth went flying out under the pew in front of him....LOL
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I laughed at my grandmothers funeral. She was buried in "hilly country", Randolph County NC and her grave site was in a quite awkward position and my mom sat down in her chair and promptly keeled over, a*s over teakettle so to speak. I couldn't help it, it was HILARIOUS. This I know, my grandmother would have found it largely funny too, so I felt safe to burst out laughing!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think "rules" and etiquette have changed over the last few years. People don't "dress up" to go to viewings like they used. I probably would have been giggling with you guys 'cause that is funny!!

We had some staff "turn us (upper management) in" to the Union at a funeral for one of the individuals that we took care of. We were sharing our favorite "Frank" stories and they thought we were inappropriate because....*gasp* we were laughing at a funeral home!

Now you have to understand that "Frank" was Bipolar and swung from the extreme opposites in moods. One day he would be down - he'd stare at you until you tried to make eye contact with him and he'd look up at the ceiling/sky to avoid eye contact and then go back to staring you down.

When he was up, he would box and spar with things on the wall - pictures, Christmas wreaths, etc. It was so damn funny!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I haven't laughed during a funeral . . . yet. The few I've been to, have been really close grandparents, just a lot of bawling was done at those.

But, my sister and I were the bridesmaids in my other sisters wedding. Of course, we both started cracking up right during the ceremony and couldn't stop. Pretty soon, my aunts were cracking up in the audience. My mom was beyond mad at us.

The guy that was performing the ceremony talked about how marriage takes a lot of work and perspiration. It happened to be summer time, outdoors and super hot. My sister and I just looked at each other and busted up.

I'm sure we'll crack up at a funeral .. . one day.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a nervous giggle too... My best friend in third grade fell while we were skating in our driveway and I started laughing hysterically- yeah- she broke her arm.

More recently, my DD threw a toy at DH and hit him...well...you know where... I died laughing, then she and DS were laughing. Needless to say DH was NOT laughing . He looked more like this

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well, I can tell you that there have been plenty of laughter AND tears this past week around here, as people have said goodbye to "The Boys". I know Sunday, at the Community memorial, almost every single person who read for "The Boys" had a little funny in their speech. And yesterday, at Danny's funeral, everyone who read made us laugh, at least for a moment.
So no, I don't consider it inappropriate, I guess it just depends on the situation.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Heck, I want people to laugh at my funeral! I want them to celebrate my life and laugh at happy memories. Of course I want there to be lots of sad tears too so I know people will miss me but I would not think it inappropriate at all.