Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Coconut Oil users - give me your ideas

I decided to give coconut oil a try for skin based yeast infections I tend to get once it gets hot (sorry, if that's TMI). Now that I have a honkin' big jar of coconut oil what else can I use it for? I tried using it to scramble eggs today and didn't notice a taste difference until the last bite, there was a tad bit of coconut flavor, but not bad. I'm just wondering what else I can use this for...
Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've been enjoying it in pancakes and waffles. Just melt it before mixing.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Megan -
I live in Florida and my coconut oil is liquid. We don't keep our house cooler than 77 in the summer. Is it okay that it's liquid in the container? It says not to refrigerate, but I wasn't sure because it was solid at the store, but liquid here.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

It's fine for it to be in liquid form. If you refrigerate it, it will go back to a solid state.

I use it to make our deodorant, we do oil pulling (a teeth and gum cleansing regime), use it for lotion, use it to help my rough patches on my feet, use it to cook with in everything. It has a million uses:

http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

For the skin infections, add a little tea tree oil to the coconut, it definitely helps.

For extra coconut oil, I use it for an all over moisturiser and for cooking. These biscuits are yum - http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/v...-oil-biscuits/
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's a great eye make-up remover. :-)

I once used it for my hair, but had to de-grease it with a dish detergent after, because no amount of shampoo could do the trick. :-) I did get compliments on my hair that day, but there's no telling if it was the oil or the detergent. :-D

Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Coconut oil is great if you use it to dilute essential oils. As mentioned above, tea tree oil is really good for the skin. I use it to de-tangle my kids' hair also.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
It's a great eye make-up remover. :-)

I once used it for my hair, but had to de-grease it with a dish detergent after, because no amount of shampoo could do the trick. :-) I did get compliments on my hair that day, but there's no telling if it was the oil or the detergent. :-D
I was wondering about using it as a conditioning treatment. I have pretty fine hair - I'd be worried I'd have the same issue as you. Will have to try on a weekend when I'd have more than one day to wash it out if needed. LOL on the no telling if it was the oil or the detergent.

Also, I have read different blogs about what you can use coconut oil for - but knowing what really works and what people I "know" use it for (that works) is much better for me. I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to trying new things.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's great as a moisturizer, oil pulling, eat a tbsp of it a day - it has a ton of health benefits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallery
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use it for just about everything... oil pulling, deodorant, moisturizer, cooking with it, scalp treatment, for sunburns, etc. It works well for anything that needs lubrication too.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
I was wondering about using it as a conditioning treatment. I have pretty fine hair - I'd be worried I'd have the same issue as you. Will have to try on a weekend when I'd have more than one day to wash it out if needed. LOL on the no telling if it was the oil or the detergent.
Yup, very fine hair here as well. :-)

Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Mix it with some oats, some peanutbutter, honey and peanuts to make your own peanut-bars in the fridge
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i use it for all of the above (although i haven't tried oil pulling yet - i want to ) ... i also like to use sugar rubs in the shower so i use it for that (along with raw sugar and essential oils). just using it as my main moisturizer (body and face) uses up a ton LOL!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use coconut oil for tons of things, although I hardly ever cook with it! I use it to season my wooden cutting boards & cast iron cookware. I also use it for a moisturizer for my hair. I use a mild, pretty natural shampoo in the shower, then just enough coconut oil to get my hands slick with it (probably about 1/8 tsp).
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I use it for all kinds of things...pretty much everything that has been said here. I've used it as a makeup remover...works great! And I always use it for a moisturizer. I did oil pulling for a while, I need to get back into it. I haven't cooked with it yet.

But a little coconut oil goes a LONG way.

When I use it on my hair, I use it for a deep conditioning treatment. I put it on my dry hair, then put a shower cap on or put it up and go about my business for about 20-30 minutes. The longer the better. Then shower as normal, shampoo (sometimes twice) and condition your hair. Again a little will go a long way. I have super thick hair so I use about a quarter size amount. But with thin hair you will probably only need to get your hands covered and that's it. Focus on your roots.