Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question OT Has Anyone Tried Chantix Before?

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried Chantix to quit smoking before? I started it not yet 2 weeks ago and for the most part I am pleased with how well it works with a couple of minor exceptions....I have made it a full 24 hours without smoking a single cigarette and I'm very pleased with that BUT I find myself wanting to just about inhale every morsel of food I can get my hands on....Please tell me someone else has tried Chantix and been successful and offer me some tips on getting my eating/snacking under control....

Thank you!
Sheila
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

my husband tried it over a year agoa and hasn't had a cigarette since he was very NOT so nice while on it and I thought I might kill him, but I grinned and beared it and we got through it....and he did EAT anything he coudl find...because he was use to the habit of having somethign in his hand and to relieve stree and when he took away smoking, he didn't have that "stress" reliever so he turned to food you will get there and I think it will take awhile, but hang in there!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for the encouragment Angie....I, knock on wood, have not been moody but that's not to say that I won't....I just need to find something else to do with my hands before I end up as big as my house....I have to go to my Doctor's tomorrow and I'm already counting on hearing her say that we need to talk because I know I am putting some weight on....Right now I can't deal with that so I already have it in my mind that I will be telling her I need to deal with one thing at a time and the smoking is first....
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yep. Both me and my husband used it to quit nearly four years ago (next month!). I had smoked for a long time and it was the only thing that worked for me. And him. Now, that said, there can be some mood altering stuff and you can have some crazy dreams. I also know some people who while on it became extremely depressed and a bit manic. Not saying that to scare you because everyone is different, but it can definitely cause emotional stuff. So if you notice anything, talk to your doctor about it. We went through a program at work so it was interesting to see how other people reacted to it, if they were successful, etc. And honestly, we've put on weight since quitting but I think that is normal no matter what method you choose to use. We are trying to get in shape this year! Good luck!! (oh and even this long later, I still want one. But not nearly as bad as before, so it does get better!)
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

DH used zyban about 10 yrs ago, BUT, my bf and her DH both just used it. she did have the food cravings, but she didn't have any emotional side effects (minus crazy dreams).

Old 01-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My husband went on it right before Thanksgiving 2010 and hasn't had a cigar since!! His biggest complaint was the crazy dreams right after starting them. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much Jenn & Laura for your replies....I have had some pretty crazy dreams but not like a nightmare....I actually suffer from insomnia and being on this actually seems to help me sleep....This past Thursday was my first day of my 2nd week taking the Chantix and later in the day I began feeling sick to my stomach....By Friday morning after taking my morning dose I was pretty sick feeling....I actually felt better laying down than I did standing or even sitting....I felt that way all of Friday but woke Saturday morning feeling fine....I do know that nausea is a side effect but was surprised it lasted all day long....My husband and I are both planning to join a nearby Gym....He quit "cold turkey" smoking just over a year ago....I have found that I have had to change some behaviors up so that I am not reminded of having a cigarette....It's a horrible addiction....Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for the encouragment Lindsay....Glad that your husband was able to quit using Chantix also....I do find that though the dreams are pretty crazy I am able to remember more of the dreams when I wake the next day and it gives me a good chuckle....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
My husband went on it right before Thanksgiving 2010 and hasn't had a cigar since!! His biggest complaint was the crazy dreams right after starting them. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was able to quit for more than a year using zyban. But I had to stop taking them earlier than prescribed because they gave me trouble with my heart (abnormal beating and even pain) Stupid, stupid me thought I could be an occassional smoker after that year, and I started again. I tried Champix (that's what it's called here, but it's the same as your Chantix) but it made me feel really weird, I had weird thoughts and dreams as well. So I quit taking them...
Cold turkey doesn't work for me, I would really want to try something again this year...
Good luck!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i quit cold turkey about 7 yrs ago and....even now i sometimes get a crazy urge. it's definitely changing behaviors that helps.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my husband used it and quit successfully. go you!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kim I wonder if you could go for hypnosis to quit smoking? I did this 23 yrs ago and quit for 11 yrs then went through a divorce and began smoking again....It was just a one on one session with the Doctor and it really worked....From the time I went into his office for the one time session I never wanted a cigarette again--until the stress of my divorce....I do wish that I never began smoking again....

Laura, CONGRATS! to you on being able to quit cold turkey....I wish that I had what it takes to be able to do that but unfortunately I do know that I would not be such a nice person to the ones that I love so figure it would be easier on me and the family with Chantix....LOL I definitely agree with you on changing behaviors associated with smoking helps....

Celeste, CONGRATS! to your husband as well and thank you for the encouragement!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I quit two years ago this month cold turkey - and i completely agree with Laura about changing behaviors. I had to relearn what to do when I was mad/sad/frustrated/scared/etc. In the first couple months - when I just lost it for one reason or another, I would take a shower (the 10min in there did the same thing as a cigarette and whatever emotions were taking over would pass while showering). Depression can intensify when you quit (even if you never had it) so that's something to keep an eye on and make sure you don't need additional help for.

As for eating -- hubby quit same time I did, and he went for gum. I used sunflower seeds. I suggest finding something to munch on or chew on that is more on the healthy side. I admit sunflower seeds aren't the healthiest, but it helped too much for me to give it up. It's now, two years later, that I'm finally taking firm control of my eating habits - and so far, it's going wonderfully.

I will also mention that my FIL quit using Chantix. And it worked great, though he started back up after almost losing his wife to multiple heart attacks. When he tried to quit again - he went back to Chantix, and it did little to nothing for him. So - from what I understand, it's possible to become immune to it or something like that. So, if you start smoking again, I guess there's a chance that you won't be able to use it again to quit (I'm not even remotely sure if that's true, but if I were you - I'd just use it as motivation to keep going).

So sorry for the novel, lol. Huge congrats on quitting! You will be SO better for it - and it does get easier as you go on And good luck on dealing with the munchies - they suck, lol
Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I quit 7'ish years ago cold turkey, but I wanted to chime in with a "good luck, and good for you!"
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DH asked his doctor about it a few months ago, and the Dr. wouldn't even prescribe it for him because he said there were too many negative side effects being reported.

I wish you lots of luck in kicking the habit!