Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Question about 8x8 Book at ArtsCow

Okay, so I've finally begun creating the 8x8 Recipe Book that I have wanted to do for some time now....BUT I am afraid to get all of the pages done, to find that I will not have them "sized" right....So I figure I will do the Cover & Back Pages and the Table of Contents and the First Recipe Page before I get to far into it....What I'm curious to know is, when I PREVIEW my book, it appears different (around the edges) than when I look at it as I drag and drop my completed pages in....Almost like in the PREVIEW phase, it is cutting part of it off around the edges....Can anyone tell me IF this means it will be cut off when the book is printed? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sorry, I am of no help! I've never printed anything at ArtsCow, but I'm sure someone here has...

If it helps, I always make sure my pages don't have anything important 1/4 of an inch from the edge of the page... that way if they get a bit cropped or lost in the center gutter of the page it'll still look OK.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've printed with Artscow, and sometimes it does cut a bit off, but sometimes not. They are really reasonably priced, so I like to use them for the price, but they can be a bit so-so on where the page cutoff is. I try to keep anything important away from 1/2" in. I don't think they actually cut that much off, but I like to be safe instead of sorry... I'll usually pile elements around the edges and keep the meat of journaling, titlework, and photos closer to the center for ArtsCow pages.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Brook....=) I don't have anything that I worry about being cut off the edge (border) except for the layered paper....I'm including a screen capture of what it looks like in the Deluxe Photo Book Designer:
and another screen capture of what it looks like when I click on Product Review:

so you can see the differences between the two....**Notice in the Product Review, it appears to be cutting off the top, bottom and outer plaid edges....My concern is, will this occur in the finished product as well?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengerbread88 View Post
I've printed with Artscow, and sometimes it does cut a bit off, but sometimes not. They are really reasonably priced, so I like to use them for the price, but they can be a bit so-so on where the page cutoff is. I try to keep anything important away from 1/2" in. I don't think they actually cut that much off, but I like to be safe instead of sorry... I'll usually pile elements around the edges and keep the meat of journaling, titlework, and photos closer to the center for ArtsCow pages.

Thanks so much for your reply....Now if I can only figure out how much to re-size my solid paper (teal) without having to re-size my font any smaller for fear it won't be legible....Then maybe the plaid background won't be cut off as much as it is....

Last edited by Nonna2Dreja; 03-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would highlight all your layers except the plaid background and use the transform command to make everything a bit smaller... While you have everything selected, you can move it a bit closer in to the spine if you want, too.

My guess is that the end product might not cut off all of that plaid, but you'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
I would highlight all your layers except the plaid background and use the transform command to make everything a bit smaller... While you have everything selected, you can move it a bit closer in to the spine if you want, too.

My guess is that the end product might not cut off all of that plaid, but you'd rather be safe than sorry.
Woohoo! THANK YOU so very much! This worked....=)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have printed with them and it does indeed cut stuff off No more arts cow for me, hopefully you can find the right size for the perfect fit!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yes, if you go too close to the edge, it will cut stuff off. I make sure to add a border around the outside of each page that is 1/2".
Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

its cut stuff off my layouts but i was doing a 6x6 book

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv