Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl
Default Frustrated

Okay so... I have gained some weight. Enough weight to make me put myself on a diet. So I started 2 weeks ago monday.. I'm using an app called My Fitness Pal... I track my calories and my activity. I have stuck to or under my calorie goal EVERY day.. eaten nothing but wheat bread when I had bread (and if you know me at all, that alone is huge b/c I am a bread freak)... no pop at all, nothing to drink but water and I've been walking and doing sit ups.

Please explain to me why I GAINED A POUND. I want to cry... and give up. Help?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

because muscle weighs more than fat so don't get discouraged yet
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

(((hugs))) Sara! Don't give up!!! Consistency is key - so don't throw in the towel! Maybe your body just needs a little bit longer to get used to the way you have been eating. Also, I know for some people if they are eating too little, it can cause their bodies to hang on to everything instead of burning those calories. Hopefully someone will come along with some more suggestions to help you out. Dieting/changing your lifestyle can be SO hard, but hang in there! Plus, I am guessing it has been just as hot and humid in KC as it is here, so perhaps the weather is playing a role in the whole thing too!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would go with water weight Sara. This heat is killing my diet. I am so darn puffy! Have you noticed any puffiness? Don't give in. Remember it is a marathon and not a sprint. Slow and steady!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is why I don't own a scale. Lol. Did you weigh yourself the same time of day? In similar clothes? What about the time of the month? All these little things can make a big difference. I've been doing weight watchers for 8 years, and I can say with total honestly that I can never predict what the scale will say! I can have a great week, then find out I've gained a pound. Or, I'm not feeling so great about the weigh in, and then I've lost a pound. Other than a certain time of the month, I've never found any rhyme or reason for what the scale says! But, if you stick with it, it will all even out in the end
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ya, the heat is killing mine too. I have been good this week, like really good and still puffing up from the dang heat and humidity. Hang in there, it will work.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

are you eating enough, and getting enough calories? I was gaining weight as well, but then I added 150 calories a day, and now i'm losing weight. Your body could be going into starvation mode, so maybe try just adding a snack. Also, try eating a lot more fruits and veggies. I stopped eating as much bread (I've read that bread makes you bloated. blah), and replaced those calories with veggies and it helped out a lot. Lastly, try doing something that will shock your body. Try Jillian Michael's work out videos. I've been doing the 30 day shred and that has helped me out a lot too. Sadly, sometimes just eating a certain amount of calories and walking isn't enough for some unlucky people! Good luck!

Mom to twin boys since 8-5-2011

Proud Air Force wife!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

check your wheat bread ... some have hidden HFCS
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
because muscle weighs more than fat so don't get discouraged yet
technically muscle weighs the same as fat..1lb of muscle is the same weight as 1lb of fat

however..1lb of muscle takes up way less room than 1lb of fat

sorry that whole muscle weighs more thing drives me batty lol

(((Hugs))) I'd make sure and really eat the calories but in good food like veggies and fruit and lower fat products and lean meats.

and MAKE SURE TO EAT BREAKFAST!! that was the biggest thing for me b/c you need that energy from breakfast to boost your metabolism and burn the rest of the calories all day Hang in there you'll see the weight come off!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I followed that same app for a month and lost nothing. Not sure what to do now.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

totally learned somethign from Meg today...you would think that the Navy woudl know what they were talking about since that is what they "preacherd" to us for the past 20 years
Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would just give it time. The first month I started dieting and just walking, I didn't lose much. In fact, even adding exercise in the 2nd month (and each month after) didn't make me lose a ton real fast either. I went for a life style change instead of instant weight loss, so it's been slow going. About 20lbs or so in 6mo. Not fast - but not horrible. I think it takes time for your body to adjust - to alter your metabolism and all that (that's how I justified it anyways). It's not gonna come off like Biggest Loser unless you're working out like 8-10hrs a day, you know? So just hang in there. It won't be fast, but it will be worth it!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I wish I had helpful tips for you, but I'm also fighting the battle of the bulge. I think my gain has resulted from me slacking off on visiting the gym 2-3x a week like I used to. Spring & Summer is tough for me... the heat & sweating all day tricks me into thinking I've exercised. Also I need ice cream & Frappuccinos to cool down. LOL.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hang in there! It will work! FYI the best "diet" we ever did was no carbs after 4pm. Because we could eat them all day long we didn't crave them, and we always had our pastas and desserts on the weekend. We both lost 5 lbs that month and weren't even as good at working out as we had been. Meat with a lot of veggies, especially grilled, and the carbs we would sneak in were brown rice and quinoa if we needed a bit more. The theory is that you need carbs all day long for energy, but what are you goin to need energy for after dinner? Carbs are essential, but eating too many is a problem.

By the way, scales are weird. My old one would seriously have a range of 10 lbs from day to day, and that's just not possible. You are doing great!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is frustrating! What everyone else said - enough calories, muscle weighs more, etc.

Also, make sure the calories you are eating are caloric-dense foods - good job on eating the whole wheat bread and limiting it. Are you eating a lot of pasta? Potatoes? Sugar/processed foods? These have a lot of calories in just a little bit of food. Load up on the veggies and beans. Make sure you are eating a good breakfast with lots of protein to start your day.

In other words, make sure the 1500 calories a day (or however many you are allowing) are "good" calories and not processed ones.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yeah... summer is the pits and totally makes you bloated and also, time of the month... I always gain right before ovulation and right before AF... also bread and dairy are killer for bloat... I know it's hard but I would limit breads and pastas... the thing about counting calories is also making them count by eating better quality foods like fruits and veggies and lean meats and healthy fats like nuts...

and time... you didn't gain it in 2 weeks so you aren't going to lose it in 2 weeks
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was up too this week. The heat is a big factor. Hang in there.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

There are lots of things that contribute to weight. If you drink two glasses of water (16 oz), bam you've "gained" a pound. It's natural for the body to fluctuate without the gain of fat. A lot of low calorie foods are high in sodium, which also contributes to water retention. I am a daily weigher. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning nude. I definitely encourage you to take your measurements and use that as a true guide of success.

How many daily calories are you targeting? Are you also including cardio in your plan?

Weight loss is a long and frustrating process (at least for me), so keep your chin up and be proud of the accomplishments you've made. Eating healthy like you are, is a great way to start!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Trista

So much encouragement in here!

I have no advice to offer really but just wanted to add my words of encouragement. Don't give up so soon. It takes time to add on the weight and it takes time to take it off.

happily creating for Darcy Baldwin, Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Krystal Hartley, and Studio Basic Designs
Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
technically muscle weighs the same as fat..1lb of muscle is the same weight as 1lb of fat

however..1lb of muscle takes up way less room than 1lb of fat

sorry that whole muscle weighs more thing drives me batty lol
It's all in the interpretation of the phrase, lol. I've always interpreted it in the context that the same volume of muscle weighs more than fat
Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So I had gastric sleeve surgery almost 7 weeks ago. for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery I was only getting around 500 calories and even now Im only getting between 800-1000 calories and my weight is coming off so slow. I have a followup with my doctor next week and am going to ask him about increasing my calorie intake becuase I think my body is in starvation mode.

However- even though the scale is not showing the loss my clothes are! Ive had to buy new shorts and shirts becuase everything was falling off of me. But I know how frustrating it is when the scale is not moving. Hang in there!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Summers are HARD. I always lose weight right after summer.

Anyway, like Amber mentioned, check your wheat bread. I've been hearing that wheat bread is just as bad as white. It's best to give up ALL bread if you can do it. Same goes for wheat pasta.

Drink TONS of water. When you think you're going to burst, drink some more. It is so easy to get dehydrated in the summer. Your body isn't actually getting all you drink this time of year.

If you are exercising, keep in mind that your muscles could be retaining water. You could actually be losing but the scale is staying the same because of the water. Try apple cider vinegar (I use tablets, hate the taste of the vinegar no matter how much I dilute it) to help with water retention. Lemon in your water is awesome as well.

Also, if your workouts are helping gain muscle, remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Oh no Sara...I don't know!?!?! But I just wanna cry for you...I'm right there with you and I'd cry a river if I saw a gain!!! I hope you get it figured out and her are just a few of my suggestions (without reading the thread so they might be repeats!!!)

- eat breakfast...everyday
-eat every 2 to 3 hours
- if you eat and veggie/fruit....eat a protein with it!!
-make sure you are eating enough
-make sure you weigh yourself at the same time everyday that is your weigh in day wearing the exact same thing!!!
-I only weigh once a week

Hubby and I have using My Fitness Pal (and have been since May) and I have lost 26lbs and hubby has lost 35 lbs....if you wanna be friends on there look me up.....mummytothree!!!

Oh and one other thing...specific to MFP.....make sure you are actually confirming the nutritional info...I have found so many that have been wrong wrong wrong...sure most of them were only minor-ly off but a few were way way off!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Thanks girls!! I am eating breakfast.. oatmeal with apples and raisins and plain yogurt. Lunch is usually a plain turkey sandwich on whole grain wheat bread with swiss cheese, no mayo. Dinner varies, generally some form of chicken or ground turkey. I'm averaging 1500 calories a day and at least 6 glasses of water, sometimes 8. I try not to snack but if I do it's peanut butter crackers or a granola bar or fruit.

this is a pretty drastic diet change for me LOL but I'm trying.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Didn't u just run a marathon-I couldn't do that to save my fat a**. Seriously-don't sweat it mamma. You gorgeous. Just move on to the next week and don't let one week or two or three get ya down...FORWARD MOTION...and....GO!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sara, that sounds pretty good really. We do lots of chicken and brown rice for dinner. Always grilled. You eat much more than I do for breakfast and that's awesome! Are you working out too? If so you may not be eating enough to support it. I have to eat more cause I workout too much. Otherwise my body holds every little thing. :/
Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You definitely need more water. You should drink half your weight in water ounces. (75 ounces for a 150 pound person, etc.) Eight glasses is only 64 ounces (unless you are drinking larger classes and just going by the actual glass, not the ounces contained in it) and that's just not enough. I tell myself the same thing. I don't drink enough water.

Also, more veggies. Try having a side of low calorie vegetables with your lunch.

Watch for hidden sugars too.

When I was doing so well (I'm totally stalled now and not eating right because this stupid weather has made it so difficult) I lost 30 pounds in 28 days. I was drinking at least 100 ounces of water a day. For breakfast I ate two scrambled eggs, nothing else. How much protein is in your breakfast? You need a good amount of protein to start the day! For lunch and dinner I ate one serving of a lean meat, either a very, very lean beef, chicken breast or fish plus 2 cups of vegetables. I went with low calorie but filling veggies like broccoli or asparagus. For snacks I had two fruits/veggies a day. I cut out nearly all starches, skipped all breads, pastas, etc. I was eating right around 1200 calories (as recommended to me) and losing weight fast... fat, not muscle. I felt awesome.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Hugs sweetie!!

I'm gonna be the odd man out and tell you...I NEVER drink water!!! seriously...NEVER!!! I drink unsweetened half and half tea (a bag of caffinated tea and a bag of dec caf tea) with two splendas in it....about 6 cups a day. That is it!!! Occasionally I have a 20ozs diet Sun Drop...usually on Saturday or Sunday.

Also I always go over my sugars....check my food diary and you will see....I'm suppose to aim for 33 grams a day and I am ALWAYS over...but like 20 or 30 grams!!! Now some of that is from fruit but I have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich every night and that contributes!!!

Your food sounds good....don't be afraid to snack!!! I have usually 3 snacks a day...it's only 2 some days now since we are sleeping later this summer and I'm eating breakfast later. But I aim to eat every 2 to 3 hours.

You can do it!!! I know you can!!! When I started this it was a HUGE lifestyle change for me....HUGE!! Once I started counting calories and watching what I was eating I was STUNNED at what I use to eat!!

Also DO NOT discount stress....it can totally be playing a part in your non-weight loss!!! Also what about any medication you are on...could that be causing some issues too!?!?!?! Let me know if you need any encouragement...I will totally cheer you one!!! Or to just gripe about having to eat another turkey sandwich...I can totally relate!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i gain the week before my period as well. so that could account for gain! just keep chugging along - you will lose.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I'm sorry you're frustrated. Nothing to add because you've gotten a lot of great advice but ((hugs))...you're doing great!