Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default If you live close to your mother... re: mother's day...

If you live close to your mother or MIL, are you going to visit them on Mother's day??

I'm feeling incredibly selfish. My hubby and children spoil me on mother's day and I love it. But, I feel like I need to go visit my mom.

Now, I had been planning with my sister to surprise her and show up Friday and take her out to lunch with all the grandkids (which she would love). But will it mean the same if it's not the day of? She is an hour away, but we're done with church by 11:30 so we have plenty of time.

So, do you go visit them? why or why not? Do you make other plans for another day? is that bad? i don't know what to do!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I see my mom almost everyday (she lives less than 10 minutes from me) so I'll probably just call her. We have plans to go do dinner with my grandmother on Mother's Day.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I see mine most every day too...my other siblings all live hours away though so *usually* they all come home and we have lunch at my parents house. This year my grandmother invited us all to her house for lunch so that's what we'll do.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Sarah - being one who can't see her mom on Mother's Day - I say go..even if only 20 min - go see her

Just reead your post - and if you're seeing her on Friday - that's good! I was assuming you wouldn't see her on the weekend when I read it the first time.

Last edited by Darcy Baldwin; 05-02-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last year we had an impromptu Mother's Day lunch on Saturday. I thought it was just as wonderful as visiting with her on the actual day. I think your plan sounds fine. But I don't know your Mom to know whether it would matter to her or not.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I see my mom several times a week, so sometimes we see each other and sometimes not. We always see each other at church in the morning, but it just depends on if we make plans for the rest of the day. If my sister and brother go over there then we all get together, sometimes it's just us, we never know

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live 2 1/2 hours from my parents and have my stepson's visitation schedule to deal with, too, so no, I don't always see her on Mothers' Day. I do always send her a card and/or flowers that she receives by Mothers' Day.

This year, we'll have my stepson until 1:30 pm on Mothers' Day and are going to my ILs' for my nephew's bday party the day before, so I will either see my MIL Sat or Sun to celebrate with her. Depending on whether Jeff's grandma is out of the hospital yet, I'm sure we'll drive up to visit her one of those days.

My mom and maybe my sister are coming down the following weekend, so I will celebrate with her then.

We have the same schedule with Fathers' Day since Jeff always has Tyler that weekend and we usually stay here in Indy. I will send my dad a card and then see him sometime in June or July to celebrate.

I'd love to be able to see my mom on actual Mothers' Day every year, but it's just not possible, so I do the best we can, and Mom understands.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, thanks guys. I will talk to my sis and see if she's planning on going over Sunday even if we go Friday and see what she thinks my mom would like more.

We are also already going over the next Sunday because my bro will be in town. So, maybe my friday plans will be good enough.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery

As a mom and grandma (now I've let the cat out of the bag on how old I am ) I would be thrilled to have the visit on Friday and call it a day - but that's just me . . .
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

As someone who has always worked a job where I work most holidays, it doesn't matter if you celebrate on the actual day. You can celebrate whenever it works. Going on Friday is good IMO. You are doing it specifically for that reason.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't help ya I live with my mom... LOL

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I have sort of the same feeling as you. I would love to be selfish and stay home letting it be my Mother's day. Unfortunately my mom doesn't accept that. And she would be upset if I did it another day. So I don't really feel like it is a day for me. It is more a day for my mom. Somehow my sister and I made it our thing to go out to breakfast with my mom, and then my mom and I usually go to a really nice garden store that my mom loves. It is always a really nice day and I leave the kids home with Daddy. But I do feel cheated and always wonder when I will get to celebrate myself being a mommy. I may have to change it around and have the day for me, and my family and I will go over for dinner in the future.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

aww thanks guys!! and thanks babs... I don't think my mom would care what day either-- and we don't go out to eat on Sundays anyway, so if we want to go out, we have to do it another day. Maybe we could even take her shopping!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think going on or before is fine. I dont have a mom to visit and dont get along that well with my in-laws so I would most likely be staying at home. My daughter is usually the only one who really acknowledges anything like that every year.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My mom doesn't live close by, unfortunately.

My mother-in-law, however lives about 5 minutes away and we choose to cook supper or take her out to eat Saturday night so that I can enjoy Mother's Day. We see her often since she lives so close and attends the same church. I hope that we're not slighting her because it's not intended that way - my husband always tries to be sweet to me on that day.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the Friday event sounds wonderful. I was going to also suggest asking her and if she doesn't mind don't worry about going on Sunday again. Even if she says it's ok not to come on Sunday, I would still just give a phone call to say a quick Happy Mother's Day and that you hope she has a good day. She may be fine with being alone all day but it may also feel like a let down (even though she celebrated on Friday) if she goes to church, sees on tv, etc. all of the Mother's Day celelbrations and then doesn't hear from anyone all day. She's your mom. You will know the best to do for her.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We usually go to my parents' house on Mother's Day. They're not quite 2 hours from us. A couple of years ago, we went out to the lake and had a picnic on Mother's Day. It was just perfect. Hoping to do it again this year.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, definitely a phone call! Thanks for the input. She'd like to talk to my girls too, so we'll definitely be sure to do that!

Thanks everyone, I feel much better now!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I usually go see my gran for a while on mothers day, and then my mum is there too, so I get to see them both. Also, my gran is pretty old, and she gets tired out from visitors, which means we usually only stay for a few hours (we go for cake during the day), then we have the rest of the day to ourselves, and nobody feels guilty about it My MIL is in another country, so we don't see her.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I came home to be with my family before we move overseas - so yes we are doing mothers day with my mom and grandma - for us this is a treat - we normally don't lives so close. You never know what a year can bring..and I do know that I won't be with her next year. I am the sap of the family tree.

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland