Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Need help - scratch disk problem!

Ok, so I did a google, and I was able to find out that sometimes you have to clear stuff out of the "scratch disk" ... my little guy shut my computer down while I was in the middle of creating a layout last night, and now I can layer two things on top of a paper and suddenly my scratch disks are already full! (I do tend to have this happen when I open about 20 things also ... but that I'd expect, you know?)

So, I went to my settings and it says "Startup" is my first scratch disk. Does anyone else have this as their setting, and if so ... where is it??? I have no idea how to find it to get rid of those temporary files. I think I could probably just change the first scratch disk source, but I'd like to clean up those temp files regardless of whether I change the first source.

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions!

Melinda
Old 09-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The scratch disk is your hard drive. Is your hard drive full? "Startup" just means your scratch disk is the same as your main hard drive that your computer starts up from - if you only have one hard drive in your computer then that's the one that's out of space.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's been forever since I had a PC, but I'm fairly positive you definitely do not want Startup to be your scratch disk. IIRC, Startup is reserved for you to set those certain programs to that you want to kick in as soon as you start your computer. It's not a true hard drive, I think it's set up kind of like a little drive within a drive that initializes upon starting up your computer. It sounds like the unexpected shut down somehow caused your scratch disk to be directed there. It should be set to something like C Drive, or another hard drive that has plenty of space for it to utilize.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It should be in your documents and settings files:
C:\Documents and Settings\User1\Local Settings\Temp
where user1 is your user profile name
You need to have 'show hidden files' turned on in your file viewing options I think too.

eta: Just in case you dont know how to change your viewing settings
go to C:\Documents and Settings
select your own settings folder (sinfle click)
Select Tools/Folder Options
On the pop up select the VIEW tab and run through the check boxes - find 'show hidden files' and make sure it has a tick in the box (clicking on the box should toggle the on/off setting.

My Gallery

Last edited by Sue Setiadji; 09-06-2008 at 02:07 PM.