Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default mini (aka "pico" or portable) projector?

Anyone have a mini, or pico, projector? In case you're wondering, they are projectors you can use at home that connect to your phone or a USB drive, etc; some are barely bigger than a cell phone.

I've been thinking about getting one so that DD can watch a movie outside with her friend (socially distanced, of course). And even after the pandemic, it would be fun for us as a family to use, or for her birthday party. I'm not alone in wanting a projector, so instead of doing my usual "investigate to find the best one for us; wait for it to go on sale and then pounce" lol, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has a recommendation. I'm afraid the few I like will sell out quickly as people look for more unique ways to have a bit of fun.

TIA!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We looked at those a few months ago but the resolution didn't seem great :/ We ended up buying a smaller projector. We watch movies all the time in our backyard with it! We hook up our fire stick too.

I've heard great things about Cinemood! My husband just didn't want to pay that much.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
We looked at those a few months ago but the resolution didn't seem great :/ We ended up buying a smaller projector. We watch movies all the time in our backyard with it! We hook up our fire stick too.

I've heard great things about Cinemood! My husband just didn't want to pay that much.
That was my worry--the resolution. Some newer ones are pretty good, but I was hoping to hear from an actual user instead of a review, you know? Maybe we'll just have to go with a small projector, like you did. We don't have to have "super small" or "super portable"...I just don't want something the size of a regular projector lol!
Old 07-29-2020, 04:39 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I saw a discussion about this the other day and this one was recommended for the price. The reviews on Amazon look pretty good. This is the one I really want though :-)

Last edited by tkradtke; 07-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkradtke View Post
I saw a discussion about this the other day and this one was recommended for the price. The reviews on Amazon look pretty good. This is the one I really want though :-)
That Anker one is what I read about in an article, too! The author liked the speaker, which is good; I don't what to have to buy separate speakers too, ya know? The price is kinda high. (I mean, it isn't HIGH-high, but ... for something I want to buy to let the kids watch socially-distanced movies outside, is it worth it? But I guess on the other hand, with all the money we're saving by staying home all.the.time, maybe $300 isn't that much to spend to give them a feeling of normalcy?

(Good grief, did I just argue both sides of the price argument?! )
Old 07-29-2020, 08:57 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
But I guess on the other hand, with all the money we're saving by staying home all.the.time, maybe $300 isn't that much to spend to give them a feeling of normalcy?
That's what I keep coming back to. We haven't spent so much money this summer (no family trip, barely using any gas, no eating out, no ballgames, etc), that it should be easier to justify the cost. It would be so cool to be able to sit outside with friends (socially distanced) to watch a movie "together". Or even just with your own family to be somewhere other than inside your house!