Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Long Term Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Selfie Confessions

I don't want to post this picture, because I don't look "cute" in it:

But I feel conflicted because I used to be fun and always posed like that or doing something besides just smiling.

I don't want all my pictures to look like this:

except for the part where I find this photo presentable.

When did I get so self conscious?? What about the rest of you Project: Love Me girls? Is it hard to post photos of yourself?

Plus I really want to fix those ENORMOUS bags under my eyes, but I'm trying to keep it real. It's just that I like my real with a little dose of Photoshop, I think.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 02-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well snap that. My photos are 300x300, but you sure are getting an eyeful of me, aren't you? I'm off to check it out and make those under eye bags not quite so lifesized.
ETA: Got them resized, glad no one saw that.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 02-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I think they're both cute!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i do whole series and there are quite some "outtakes" when i lose temper because i can't stand the way i look :-D
i have to come up with some ideas because i don't want all my pictures look the same. also this is a great opportunity to get some photography training. when do i take the time to find out more about techniques?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Girl, I am RIGHT there with you. I have the exact same conflict!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I totally understand the conflict! I want the photos to all look good...which for me equals the same pose all the time.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I think we need a weekly theme suggestion....like with a smile, without a smile, half your face, being goofy, with red lipstick, with sunglasses, etc. Maybe that would help because I feel the same way.

Oh and for Krystal...with a sexy face

Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post
I think we need a weekly theme suggestion....like with a smile, without a smile, half your face, being goofy, with red lipstick, with sunglasses, etc. Maybe that would help because I feel the same way.

I like this idea!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I must click off 30 photos before I have one that I like... and then I load them onto the computer and I'm like, uugh... You know that is really how I look? And then I take a bunch of other photos throughout the week hoping to find something that I want to post for the public to see. And I still haven't posted the last two weeks.. I have them here, just trying to get up the nerve to post them...

I love that suggestion, Tracy! We do need ideas to keep them "fresh"...
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with you. I haven't been uploading, but I've been taking photos and um...I think I do the same pose, same smile each time. I did try some unsmiling ones, and...yeah. I'm thinking I am channeling some mysterious or elusive smile from Mona Lisa and the result is a grumpy puss. :/

I third (or fourth) the weekly theme idea!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

selfie confessions.. i haven't even been taking photos! what i'd give to look like any of you above me! ow!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For me, the most frustrating part of selfies is the amount of work it takes to get a decent picture. I don't even mean flattering vs. not...I'm talking how many shots I have to take to get a few that are in focus, not horrendously close up, don't cut off part of my face, etc. That's why I'm doing 26 instead of 52.

I think this project will be so much easier when the spring comes and I can take more outdoor shots or even more indoor shots with good light. Right now most of my selfies are done indoors after dark just holding the camera out in front of me, and they look it. I finally tried some mirror shots last week (which I still need to post), and those are a little better. But you can tell they're in a bathroom, and I don't really want a series of 26 photos of me in our ugly bathroom, LOL.

And I'll be the voice of dissent on the challenges. Of course I have nothing against having them if they'll help other people, but I'd want them to be optional. I have a hard enough time getting a decent photo when I work at it. Photos of me making faces or taken from an unflattering angle or whatever are probably never going to see the light of day. I don't mind if I have a similar pose and expression every time, because my true goal is to end up with just 3 or 4 photos I love and want to scrap by the end of the year.

Last edited by rach3975; 02-02-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Oh I was totally thinking optional on the ideas. I just thought maybe we could use them as an idea for someone who is stuck in a rut with the same pose and just needs a little push that week.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe we could have all the themes on a list, as a sort of resource for those who want to experiment a little more?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the interest of keeping it real, I think you should totally post the crazy photos too, Kellie! I am not doing the Project: Love Me, just was trying to get photos the other day. Of course this one has not been available for public viewing before now but I just wanted to say...I am trying to embrace the fun, silly poses.

And you look cute in both photos you silly.

Okay, here's my weird self. Being brave and posting for all to see. :P

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have the exact same issue - every selfie looks the same cause I'm too picky. But, I did a semi-silly one today. Here's hoping I can break out of my box just a little more often.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was thinking about that the other day. I tend to smile and pose the same way (or close to the same way) because I find that to be more flattering and I really don't want to see crappy pictures of myself. LOL I am really trying to get a 'good' picture with my DSLR every week. I find I am able to lighten up more with the ones I take with my tablet though. There is something about seeing the photo as you take it (front camera) that really helps. I can take a few dozen with the DSLR and really not like any. Then, there are times that the first one I take really strikes me (like the one in my avi here).

Oh... and different themes... I'm not opposed, but I can't say I'd follow them each time.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Haha - hubby was taking my photo the other day, and said "You look the same in every shot." Yeah, anything besides a nice safe smile is just too scary to upload. I'm trying to get over my vanity, but it's hard huh.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Ugh add me to the list...I'm always sooooooooooo critical of my self in photos and it's really stupid...because everytime one of my kids see a photo of me they always.....ALWAYS say something positive about it!!! Never once has one of my kids said any of the million and one flaws that I have played over and over in my mind when I looked at the SAME photo!!!

I love the theme idea!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Ive been trying to snap and go and not overthink things. The pic I posted for week 5 is sooooo not my favorite shot of me but its my first thing in the morning, just woke up, sleepy eyed, no make-up face so I just wanted to run with it.

I do think its interesting how many of us have a side/angle we obviously favor when taking these. Im excited to keep going and I'm so happy so many of you are playing along with me.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's a challenge for sure to get past what I see, because I see all my imperfections, but I am trying to post 'real' shots and making it a point to get in front of my DSLR at least every other week, which is a whole other challenge in it's self.

Here's a little hint though if you're going to do the DSLR (or camera with a timer) use a broom (or other object) in place of where you will be standing, sitting to help lock in the focus. i thought it sounded like such a dumb idea, and then I actually tried it. lol
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Amanda, have you thought about getting a remote? I got one for my camera for < $10. I used to do the same thing you did (focus my camera on another object -- sometimes I'd make one of my kids stand where I intended to go), but the remote is so much easier.

... and I hear you on the imperfections. We are all our own worst critics
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my remote! I don't use it for selfies though, I just hold the camera out and snap. I really should try it.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I actually do use the remote as well, and usually on 'burst' mode or 2 second delay.

One of the tips I've read about doing selfies recently, was to use a tall mirror right behind the camera where you would stand if you were actually taking the photo to use to help get your self posing dialed in. I haven't ventured to that yet, but seeing as I'm actually doing a whole 'self' project throughout the year, I'm sure I'll get to that eventually. (the project actually produced the new avi <--)

Last edited by MandaT; 02-03-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My monthly selfies last year are all identical but that was partly because it was as much about what I was wearing as about me. This year I am trying to get a bit more variety & use other methods than holding the camera at my hip while standing in front of a full length mirror.

Like Rachel I have a heck of time getting a decent shot from a technical perspective (focus, white balance, noise, things in the background, blurring) & when I finally get a good one I am looking pissy because it was the 18th shot and I was over the whole thing.

This year I have my tripod & remote & am going for different looks, but I haven't liked anything so far.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally think they are cute and I love that top fun one!! I am getting over the self conciousness in photos - I like the goofy ones. Of course there are some where I'm like - ew I look gross, but I don't care anymore if I don't look pretty enough in a goofy photo.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
Okay, here's my weird self. Being brave and posting for all to see. :P

omgosh, Sara! This made me choke. Max came over and wanted to know what was so funny. He didn't appreciate it nearly as much as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Haha - hubby was taking my photo the other day, and said "You look the same in every shot." Yeah, anything besides a nice safe smile is just too scary to upload. I'm trying to get over my vanity, but it's hard huh.
^^THIS^^ I always thought I wasn't vain because I didn't think I was pretty, but then I realized that vanity is not about thinking you're pretty, it's about caring about how you look, and I do definitely care. I can't see why anyone would want to take a picture of herself NOT SMILING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apphotos View Post
One of the tips I've read about doing selfies recently, was to use a tall mirror right behind the camera where you would stand if you were actually taking the photo to use to help get your self posing dialed in. I haven't ventured to that yet, but seeing as I'm actually doing a whole 'self' project throughout the year, I'm sure I'll get to that eventually. (the project actually produced the new avi <--)
That is so useful! I realized that I used to hold the camera out with my arm and take self portraits of me and the kids all the time when I had a P&S, but I can't do that with my big girl camera. And I couldn't figure out how to get it to focus on the self timer. I'll give this a try.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post

I like that idea!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got a new Windows phone and it has a MUCH better camera in it. So here's my first selfie.... I went for a hike today and am sitting on the top of the little hill I hiked up to!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I realized that I used to hold the camera out with my arm and take self portraits of me and the kids all the time when I had a P&S, but I can't do that with my big girl camera. And I couldn't figure out how to get it to focus on the self timer. I'll give this a try.
I'm struggling with this, too. I switched from a P&S in Sept, and timer photos or hold-the-camera-out photos came out better on the P&S. Our only tall mirrors are permanently wall mounted in the bathrooms, and I can't see piling in there with the kids to take pictures. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for something smaller that could work, like maybe a mirror on a stand that I could put on a table.