Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's talk tablets...not the web surfing kind, but the drawing kind

I have an old wacom tablet that I used to use for extractions and such but I never could master drawing/doodling with it. I'm starting to use it again, mostly for writing- I want to incorporate some handwritten words on my layouts mostly. Any tips for using it? What kind of tablet do you use? Mine's pretty old so I'm not averse to getting a newer one if I end up getting into using it frequently.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh.... I want one for my birthday... will be watching this!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on my third tablet. I don't use a mouse at all, there's no way I could scrap anymore without one. I've had Wacom Intuous, Wacom Bamboo, and now a Monoprice. I bought the Monoprice a couple of months ago because I'd already spent money replacing the pen on my Bamboo and it had been acting up for a while, I didn't want to put more money into it. I got the Monoprice with two pens and extra nibs for $50. So far it works as well as the Wacoms I've had, my one complaint is that there's a lot of plastic, it's big, but I've managed. I actually prefer the surface on the Monoprice.

My suggestion for any beginning tablet user is to put your mouse away for a few days. It really becomes second nature and it's so much more comfortable. If you're writing, sometimes putting a piece of paper over the tablet, or a clear sheet protector helps.

Last edited by Keely~B; 08-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Monoprice, baby
Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

personally, I can't draw or write in photoshop with my tablet. But it works great in illustrator. I've had a very old wacom 4, then a wacom bamboo, and now a wacom intous. The bamboo was a lot cheaper and does just as well as my more expensive new intous.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I too have been wanting one so I will be watching this thread.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm watching this thread too. Any thoughts on size? How do you know what size will suit your needs the best?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have been using mine, a Wacom Bamboo Fun (talk about old!) for several years now. I use it exclusively and never use a mouse. I hate using a mouse and when I go to my parents home and am forced to use a mouse, I fumble like crazy!

I love my Bamboo... it's been very good to me. I am looking into a new tablet though, but only because I have kinda put a kink, so to speak, in my pen... and I'd rather just buy a whole new tablet instead of just replacing my pen.

I haven't heard of the monoprice til now, so Im going to check into that. I was looking at the Intuos 4 or 5.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
I'm watching this thread too. Any thoughts on size? How do you know what size will suit your needs the best?
I have the small and have never wished for it to be larger. But I spose it would depend on what your doing with it. I would think that maybe a designer/graphic artist might want a medium or a large, but I think they could easily get away with the small as well. I like that mine fits right to the side of my keyboard on top of my desk with no problems. The larger one, for me, would cause a space issue here on the desk...