Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Harry Potter fans ...

Have you seen this

http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces
Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I know! I know it's not going to be what I'm hoping for (another book), but I'm still excited!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've seen it but I'm not sure what it will be. I have read in a few places that it may be a online role playing game where you can become a student in Hogwarts. Someone swore it was a new book series but the website is called PotterMore.com so I doubt that.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oooo, interesting!

The online game suggestion sounds like a definite contender.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I sooooooo want it to be a book, any kind of book

Last edited by Andrea Gourley; 06-18-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Girl View Post
I sooooooo want it to be a book, any kind of book
Moi aussi... But something new might be nice, I think HP has been exploited to the bone.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

She needs to write an entirely new series. Because probably anything she would write would be fabulous. I'm still mourning over the end of the HP series.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I hope it's a new book series! I think the online game is more likely though, especially as the video has owls around it (a definite HP theme!)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Did you see the announcement? I'm so excited! And the video, with all those book graphics was GORGEOUS!

ETA: Check Andrea's OP for the link! Go watch it!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

and be sure to look under the media relations tab...more interesting info.

Russ is hoping for a geocaching-esque game to find wands in real life :

There was a news leak
Some details about Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling’s mysterious new project, Pottermore, have leaked out in a memo obtained by the Times UK.

According to the Times:

Pottermore is a sophisticated online game that contains clues to prizes that are hidden in the real world. These are an unstated number of magic wands secreted in Britain and America, and possibly other countries. It is not clear whether the treasure hunt is Pottermore itself, or merely a marketing drive for another product.
So, it’s not exactly the MMORPG some have speculated about. At least, not yet. It seems likely that Pottermore will be bigger than a treasure hunt, but all we muggles can do is speculate (and save up vacation days to go searching for wands.)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
and be sure to look under the media relations tab...more interesting info.

Russ is hoping for a geocaching-esque game to find wands in real life :

There was a news leak
Some details about Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling’s mysterious new project, Pottermore, have leaked out in a memo obtained by the Times UK.

According to the Times:

Pottermore is a sophisticated online game that contains clues to prizes that are hidden in the real world. These are an unstated number of magic wands secreted in Britain and America, and possibly other countries. It is not clear whether the treasure hunt is Pottermore itself, or merely a marketing drive for another product.
So, it’s not exactly the MMORPG some have speculated about. At least, not yet. It seems likely that Pottermore will be bigger than a treasure hunt, but all we muggles can do is speculate (and save up vacation days to go searching for wands.)
Oh. My. Word. I haven't even read the HP books yet... Joel is in the middle of the first. But this would be SOOOOOOOOOOO FUN!!! We love geocaching anyway!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
Oh. My. Word. I haven't even read the HP books yet... Joel is in the middle of the first. But this would be SOOOOOOOOOOO FUN!!! We love geocaching anyway!
Kristin, I'll tell you what I tell everybody who's new to the HP series, especially adults. The first 2 books maybe aren't all that great. But stick with them, because the series gets amazing. The first 2 are really geared towards children and while the whole series is a children's series, it gets into more mature situations as far as good vs. evil.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man I just watched the video & WOW!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am soooo glad I started reading the books...I am in the middle of book 4 now....this will be awesome
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A nice video for sure, but I'm disappointed. It's just more milking money from HP... nothing new. And she *so* needs to step out of HP. I would totally love if she wrote something as delightful as the first 3 HP books. Oh and listen to me, I sound like one of the members of the impossible-to-please basher crowd! Let's see what Pottermore is about and good luck to Jo.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
A nice video for sure, but I'm disappointed. It's just more milking money from HP... nothing new. And she *so* needs to step out of HP. I would totally love if she wrote something as delightful as the first 3 HP books. Oh and listen to me, I sound like one of the members of the impossible-to-please basher crowd! Let's see what Pottermore is about and good luck to Jo.
I'm super excited. To know all the background of people, places and things is just what us Potter freaks would love! She's been talking for years about how she has all this back story on all kinds of things, and now we'll get to be privy to it!

As far as her making more money off of it, I guess I can see how some would feel that way. I'm certainly biased, being such a huge fan, but she spent her adult life creating this world and shared it with all of us and we loved it. She earned it! She's very humble and very generous with that money as well. But yes, she had GOBS of it, for sure!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalskate View Post
As far as her making more money off of it, I guess I can see how some would feel that way. I'm certainly biased, being such a huge fan, but she spent her adult life creating this world and shared it with all of us and we loved it. She earned it! She's very humble and very generous with that money as well. But yes, she had GOBS of it, for sure!
I used to be huge fan, too. I used to write HP fanfiction for some years and run a related website. I differ from many people in disliking the last three installments of the series - while the overall series is great, I think she got carried away with her own fame and the books got, well, different. I don't mean dark, I was looking forward to dark, but she just can't write villains or romance, that's all. It all got pretty ridiculous towards the end (and of course that's only my opinion, and I'm not happy about it, I'd rather I loved all seven of them, believe me). I'm pretty sure I'm going to reead the first four (as I've done several times already), but I never want to read the last three.

Still it's a wonderful series and I love it. She definitely deserves every penny she's earned for it, but I would really, really love to see something new from her. She is a good writer (and I think so despite the criticism above) and it would be pity if she stayed limited to HP for all her writing life. Even though I can perfectly understand how hard it would be to do something new when HP is that big. Anyway, she's her own master, she can do whatever she likes. My opinions really don't matter. :-)

Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalskate View Post
Kristin, I'll tell you what I tell everybody who's new to the HP series, especially adults. The first 2 books maybe aren't all that great. But stick with them, because the series gets amazing. The first 2 are really geared towards children and while the whole series is a children's series, it gets into more mature situations as far as good vs. evil.
That's good to know. I've tried starting book 1 two times now... and I don't get much farther than chapter 2. I just finished the two books I got from the library and I didn't get anymore so I could try again!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Am I the only one that thought that the most exciting part of that video was the fact that they'll be releasing the HP series in an e-book form in October? I own them all in paper but I'd love to have them at my fingertips on my Kindle also. Can't wait!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post
Am I the only one that thought that the most exciting part of that video was the fact that they'll be releasing the HP series in an e-book form in October? I own them all in paper but I'd love to have them at my fingertips on my Kindle also. Can't wait!
I'm not an e-book person, but yes, I noticed it! I had no idea the books were not out in e-book form so far, so I imagined people would get excited. :-)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
I don't have a Kindle but I was pretty excited about it since I still need ot read the rest of book four and the last 3 so maybe by then I will have a Kindle
Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
No, I was too!! I heard that it was her that didn't want them in e-book form, which I thought was odd. I'd end up re-buying all 7 books so I would think that would benefit her?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I thought the whole big press about the site was that it WAS the e-books....
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/harry-pot...111354856.html