Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default hard to fit 4 year old: anyone else have one? lol

my 4 year old Emma is a little chunker lol. here's a pic of her in a swimsuit:

while i'm biased and think she's adorable (but really heavy!! ) it can be a challenge to find clothing for her, especially jeans. i usually end up just buying her stretchy things with elastic waists. its near impossible to find jeans with elastic waist that fit her. she can wear some of Chloe's old size 6 elastic waist jeans but then i have to roll them cause they are so long. she's pretty much out of the 'T' sizes. once in awhile i can find her a shirt in a 5t that fits her if its cut right. Old Navy is my favorite place for kid clothes but she really can't wear too many unless i buy stuff in the big girl section. which at times can be really handy; her and Chloe can share some clothes . its just hard cause she's only 4 so i don't think most brands cater to pudgy toddlers lol. anyone have similar issues with their kids? where do you shop? tia
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love Target capris...a lot of them look like real jeans (they don't have the slit cut out at the bottom) ..DD wears a size 14 but is only 4'3" .. these are the perfect length...and so much cuter than the Husky boy jeans that mom had to buy me when I was a kid.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

hmmm i'll have to check out Target. i didnt think of buyin big girl capris and using them for her jeans! good idea, thanks!

i'm thinking she got her chubbyness from her daddy lol. i've always been stick thin (well as a kid, i'm not quite as skinny now lol) and tall. her big sister Chloe takes after mommy lol.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Umm, I learned to hem. lol Really I did but only recently and it has been a godsend for fit for my oldest dd.

No, seriously, I had (have) that same problem with my oldest. She's not fat, just thick, and she's built a lot like dh's side of the family - short legs and a long torso. She's in the big girls sizes now so we are experimenting with the 1/2 sizes and having better luck but it was so hard when she was that age. Most of her jeans ended up ruined because she walked on them all the time. :/ I wish I had some good advice but I really just wanted to commiserate with you. Hope someone has a better idea for you!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

lol thanks Heather. i was thinking she was just going to grow out of it but i just thing this is her body type. the funny thing is, she weighed the least (7lbs 7 oz) out of all 3 at birth lol. Chloe was 9lbs and she's the skinny one, and Aidan was 8lbs 4 oz. he seems pretty average for a 3 year old.

and as for the hemming, i'll have to use a needle and thread cause i don't know how to sew and don't own a sewing machine that works.

Last edited by junebug; 06-24-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww she is so cute! I'm from UK so can't help with shops or anything though lol, and I have the opposite problem anyway, my 4 and a half year old is tiny!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have the opposite with my 3 year old son... his waist is so tiny, but chest/ shoulders are big... and he is long... that he still in 18m-2T waist for pants, but needs 3T for length... but his tops have to be 3T-4T. As expensive as it is, I have to do Gymboree... they seem to be "fuller" cut than other brands and the sizing is very consistant. Luckily I find a ton of gymboree at rummage sales and then wait for sales online or at the outlet.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We just do a lot of dresses (I just buy older girl tops...) and tights. Luckily tights are in style right now!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
lol thanks Heather. i was thinking she was just going to grow out of it but i just thing this is her body type. the funny thing is, she weighed the least (7lbs 7 oz) out of all 3 at birth lol. Chloe was 9lbs and she's the skinny one, and Aidan was 8lbs 4 oz. he seems pretty average for a 3 year old.

and as for the hemming, i'll have to use a needle and thread cause i don't know how to sew and don't own a sewing machine that works.
Funny, my dd was my smallest baby too and it looks like she's going to be built the biggest. My middle dd and my little ds are both built longer and leaner with long legs and a slimmer middle. I have to buy slims for my middle dd in order for them to be long enough for her - the exact opposite of the problem I have with my oldest.

I was always so thankful for summertime when my oldest was younger because she could just wear shorts and we didn't have to worry about it for a while. lol
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The Children's Place has lots of darling cotton skorts, shorts, and skirts that have a bit of strech in them! They are so cute and they are on sale right now! My daughter Faith just loooooves that store! 99% of my gallery has clothes that my kids are wearing from the Children's Place. ROFL.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've shopped at Children's Place a lot also...their clothes do seem to be a little more forgiving.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I think I coud have written your post lol. My emma doesn't own a pair of jeans anymore she's ok with it though because she'd rather be comfy anyway. We do LOTS of target stuff and have good luck with ON too. Skorts/stretch pants are all the rage right now...thank god lol

Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I love TLP too!! My kids are pretty thin/average so most regular size clothes fits them. But my now 6yr old was a little pudgy for awhile. We do leggings/tights a lot even now but she loves them!

Rebecca have you tried adjustable waist pants with your son? I've had the same problem with my son for almost 8 years now lol he's soooo skinny but super tall..he has to wear a 14 for length now (he's almost 12) and can probably still wear an 8 in the waist lol

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest and youngest are hard to fit because they're tall and skinny, but my 4 year old is short and has a tummy. Until now he's done well with the Circo jeans from Target that have all elastic waists. They're very inexpensive (like $5), but they've held up well. They only come up to 5T, and you probably won't find them now because they don't seem to carry them over the summer. I'm not sure what I'm doing for jeans from now on because I think he'll be out of the largest size by fall. We have some adjustable waist Levis that are okay, but not nearly as good a fit. And yes, he and my skinny 6-year old are now wearing the same size tops and shorts.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Sounds like our house...Rachel is 4 and a half, and she's not really fat, but she is tall (95% for her age) and very solid. Most of her clothes are a 6/6x, and some are 7s...in fact she's been wearing one size 8 Gymboree dress for about a year.
Jeans...ugggh...the best so far have been Gymboree...size 7 fits her pretty well. But we don't shop there...can't really afford it...so we scout the resale shops. And just about all of her jeans have to have some elastic in the waist, or they pinch her stomach and we see the dreaded mini muffin top. Otherwise we try to stick to the knit pants like Circo at Target.

Last edited by pewtertm; 06-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

we don't really buy jeans either. i have been told that the husky jeans at jc penney fit good but haven't bought them. lily is starting to slim out now that she is 7 so we'll see. I would just describe her the same, just a solid build. We buy lots of the swing top or babydoll tops for her as they are nice and comfy. You can find those so many places now.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Rebecca have you tried adjustable waist pants with your son? I've had the same problem with my son for almost 8 years now lol he's soooo skinny but super tall..he has to wear a 14 for length now (he's almost 12) and can probably still wear an 8 in the waist lol

LOL... they need to put in more buttons! They are cinched up as much as I can get them and he still needs a belt! Luckily (??) he isn't potty trained so the diaper helps with them staying on the hips, but he looks a bit gangster... LOL!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

most of the kids clothes here in Australia have the adjustable waist bands.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Not sure if this is an immediate help, but once she gets into the kid section at Old Navy (its like at 5/6) they have a husky size.

I have the opposite problem with Zach, he's just soooo skinny, but the skinny size jeans don't fit him right at all for some reason.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have had the same problem with my daughter since she was about 5 yrs old (she is now 8). Currently she wears a size XL (14/16) and is above average in height. Since she is thick around the middle I have a hard time finding pants for her. I usually shop at Target however Sears and JCPenny both carry girls plus which does wonders when shopping for pants/jeans. I find with jeans that we need to roll them up just a little and they work out fine. I look for sales to try to save money b/c those special sizes can be costly.

Hope this helps.

Debbie
Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gymboree is having a big clearance sale online now if that helps anyone.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do they really have to still call it "husky"? lol
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we do buy her lots of dresses and stretchy leggings! and she loves them! but once in awhile, during the cold winter, it would be nice for her to have some jeans for going places or playing outside lol. i can't really afford Gymboree unless its waaay marked down but i do LOVE their clothes. i used to shop there for Chloe when she was little and my only kid . The Childrens Place is better on prices. i think there is one in Indy near me or i could just order online. thanks for all the input! i hope she outgrows it a little but i'm not so sure lol.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
Do they really have to still call it "husky"? lol
Yeah, this is my son and my husband hates it. He was always the "husky" kid and still has nightmares about it

Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Most of my kids wear "slims" (they clearly did not get this from me) and every time I'm searching through the piles looking for them, and see "husky", I cringe.