Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anybody have an adjustable bed?

I've been thinking about getting an adjustable bed for my birthday this spring. The kind where you can lift the head or the feet or both. Anybody have one and do you like it? Mattress suggestions? There are SO MANY CHOICES!
Old 02-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've wanted a Kraft-Matic Adjustable Bed since I was 14 (I'll be 50 in a few weeks). DH has teased me about it for decades (think hospital bed jokes...lol). I think it would be awesome, so I'm interested in responses too.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoncuppa View Post
I've wanted a Kraft-Matic Adjustable Bed since I was 14 (I'll be 50 in a few weeks). DH has teased me about it for decades (think hospital bed jokes...lol). I think it would be awesome, so I'm interested in responses too.
I guess they are getting a lot more popular these days, especially since memory foam mattresses have become popular, and it seems like there are a million of them out there!
Old 02-09-2022, 02:23 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've even seen them with "waterbed" mattresses. I've tried to sell DH on the idea. What could be better when you want to watch tv or read in bed? He said he'll wait until he's in a nursing home. I told him that could be arranged...lol.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We got one even thought we weren't planning on it and we love it! It's so nice to read or watch tv and it relieves the pressure on my lower back that always bothers me.

We were shopping for a mattress only at Mattress Firm but the one we chose came with a free platform that moved only the head. We decided to upgrade to the next level to raise the feet too and the lady gave us a great discount on it.

It's a hybrid from Sealy.
https://www.mattressfirm.com/sealy/h..._test=&start=1

and I think this base
https://www.mattressfirm.com/sealy/e...mfi134255.html

Good luck! Shopping for a bed isn't easy!
Old 02-09-2022, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoncuppa View Post
I've even seen them with "waterbed" mattresses. I've tried to sell DH on the idea. What could be better when you want to watch tv or read in bed? He said he'll wait until he's in a nursing home. I told him that could be arranged...lol.
Lol! Well I hate to add to the "hospital bed" vibe but I am mainly interested because I have a lot of heartburn/reflux and sleeping with your upper body elevated is supposed to help. But, yes, I watch a lot of TV in bed so that is my cover story.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:04 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have a Tempur- Pedic with adjustable base. I don't have both the feet and head adjustments, only the head. I tried both at the store and I just couldn't handle having my feet high. Honestly, it freaked me out!

The only thing I have found is that if I have the head adjusted too high, I will slip down and my feet will hit the footboard. So I just have to be careful when putting it up. It is great for my back issues though which is why I got it!
Old 02-09-2022, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
We got one even thought we weren't planning on it and we love it! It's so nice to read or watch tv and it relieves the pressure on my lower back that always bothers me.

We were shopping for a mattress only at Mattress Firm but the one we chose came with a free platform that moved only the head. We decided to upgrade to the next level to raise the feet too and the lady gave us a great discount on it.

It's a hybrid from Sealy.
https://www.mattressfirm.com/sealy/h..._test=&start=1

and I think this base
https://www.mattressfirm.com/sealy/e...mfi134255.html

Good luck! Shopping for a bed isn't easy!
It's especially hard now that so much shopping is online! How are you supposed to pick a mattress online without trying it? I probably will end up going to Mattress Firm just so I can try them out.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

So I had one. I loved it. I often raised it when I was reading or when I wasn't feeling the best. Then my now husband moved it and he hated it. Never wanted me to raise it. Then it came unplugged while I was deployed and I just didn't bother to crawl underneath and replug it since he never liked when I used it. So it ended up being a waste of money. Yesterday we just got rid of it and got a new bed. It was amazingly heavy and I would never have wanted to move it.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have a sleep number bed that I just love. It takes all the pressure off of my bad hip and I don't spend all night moving around trying to get comfortable. I don't have it with the adjustable feet or head, but it does come that way. Every once in a while, I will read in bed, but not often, and I don't watch TV in bed, so it seemed like a waste of money to get those features.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you guys for the info. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've had one for 3 years. We have a split king, so each side is separately adjustable. It's the BEST.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My guy has a Jonathan Stevens memory foam mattress with the adjustable base. He likes to make small adjustments to it and is addicted to the vibration setting. It goes for maybe 15-30 minutes and he always falls asleep to that.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Wait... so can you get one of those adjustable bases and put an existing memory foam mattress on it? I'm intrigued! I would LOVE it for reading in bed and I know my hubby would love it for watching TV in bed... but I think we'd have to have separate sides too, so not sure how that would work. Lol.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_ View Post
Wait... so can you get one of those adjustable bases and put an existing memory foam mattress on it? I'm intrigued! I would LOVE it for reading in bed and I know my hubby would love it for watching TV in bed... but I think we'd have to have separate sides too, so not sure how that would work. Lol.
I'm not sure where in MI you are but Jonathan Stevens are made in Grand Rapids and they have several showrooms around the city. I don't think they make the bases (I could be wrong) but you can definitely check them out in the store. There are lots of options!
Old 02-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
They do make split queens and king bases but you'd need two mattresses or a mattress that "splits" (or maybe a chainsaw for your existing mattress. )
Old 02-10-2022, 02:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We got one for my mom and it has helped her a lot. The one she has is basically a platform that the mattress sits on. The head and knees can be lifted. If you have a headboard, etc, look at it carefully to see if your furniture will work with it. I kind of McGalvered it to make it work for her. She has a Serta mattress, but I'm not sure which one.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
technically yes! We have separate twin XL mattresses(and sheets) and bases for ours, they fit inside our bed frame. It's the absolute best. We both sleep so much better now.

We also have the hardware so we could technically join our bases together and just use one mattress. We just don't...because we are both old and broken and sleep differently.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
technically yes! We have separate twin XL mattresses(and sheets) and bases for ours, they fit inside our bed frame. It's the absolute best. We both sleep so much better now.

We also have the hardware so we could technically join our bases together and just use one mattress. We just don't...because we are both old and broken and sleep differently.
So, I'm curious if either of you are side sleepers and does that work with an adjustible bed? Or do you have to sleep on your back?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:30 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
So, I'm curious if either of you are side sleepers and does that work with an adjustible bed? Or do you have to sleep on your back?
I'm a side sleeper. Like I said in my post above if I have it too high, I slide down. That is usually when I'm on my side. If by some chance I do stay on my back, I don't slide as much. But I toss and turn all night long so I had to find that sweet spot of where to put it so the pillow and I don't slide down!
Old 02-10-2022, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
We are side sleepers and a lot of it depends on how much you adjust it. He has it ever so slightly raised all the time. And when you're sick, you really don't need it raised a ton to get benefit from it.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:21 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I agree with what Have a Dr. Pepper because I have the same bed, same problem with slipping. I love mine. When I got mine the adjustable part came with the mattress. You get only the mattress- no box spring. (at least with mine.) But it is a big thick mattress.