Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Driving - 12.16.15

Do you like to drive? Do you have to drive because of car sickness (or control issues -- ha ha!) or some other medical/physical/emotional issue?

Where's your favorite place to drive around/to? Do you like taking long road trips? What's the longest time you've ridden in the car/the longest distance you've driven in the car?

Do you prefer driving over flying, trains, sled dog, etc.?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:19 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I love driving. When I was a teenager, I started creating "scenic routes" to get from one place to another, so that I could be out longer and listen to my tunes longer. I don't do that as often these days because of the kids, but on the rare occasion that I'm in the car alone, I still take the scenic route sometimes. I also love driving long distances when I can get on the freeway and just go. As long as you have good music, it's all good.

Being stuck in traffic is a different ball game, though. That's when the crazy lady inside of me starts to come out.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I prefer sled dogs. :P

I don't mind driving...especially since we bought a new car in August. I love my new ride. I usually drive because the hubby drives like a grandpa but I don't mind being driven around. I love road trips with my girlfriends...with the family, not so much. They tend to be complainers.

Let's see....the longest I've been in a car...I think a few places...the drive from where I am to Shasta, CA was probably the longest ride ever.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I like driving, except when it's slippery or snowy on the roads. I had my first car accident last year (after 9 years of driving) and after that I had some anxiety for a while. But fortunately that went away after a couple of months.

I can't drive long distances though, because of the fibromyalgia. After 2 hours I'm all cramped up and need to rest. We've done a roadtrip through France once, but we switched drivers every couple of hours.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm an anxious driver for sure. I never use GPS because if I'm going someplace new, I need to know the whole route ahead of time. I still print off directions from Mapquest and then zoom in on the computer so I can see exactly what is at each intersection, how many roads there are in between turns, etc.

I also get super nervous driving with 'an audience' e.g. other adults. I drive the kids around all the time, of course, and that doesn't bother me but I get anxious when I'm driving around other adults wondering if they are judging me or my driving.

I also don't see all that well at night so I try to avoid driving unless I'm in town after dinner.

I realize it's crazy.

With that said, I don't mind driving if it's someplace I've been before but I would always prefer that someone else is the driver. I'm a great organizer so I love road trips and can plan out snacks, restaurants to stop at, scenic routes, sightseeing spots, etc. I just don't want to be at the wheel!

The longest I've been in a car is, of course, the TWO trips we made in five months from Indiana to Wyoming (and back) which is approximately 1100 miles each way. Oy. NEVER AGAIN WITH A TODDLER! Or my whiny husband for that matter -- ha!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love travel in all forms and have no preference. I choose mode of travel depending on how quickly I need to be someplace.

I'm known for my insane road trips and did my last one by myself (4600 miles over 11 days) in June. I love driving and always have and I love seeing all the beauty in the world. I just throw a bag in the trunk, plug my phone into the car charger and go. I usually don't have a final destination in mind, but I typically have a couple places I want to see along the way.

I don't consider myself having been to any state unless I actually DO something in that state (layovers don't count), so I like to do local, kitschy things whenever I can. The car is perfect for that because I can veer off for an hour and have complete control over how long I stay someplace.

I do get a little car sick in the passenger seat and definitely do if in the back seat.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
I love driving. When I was a teenager, I started creating "scenic routes" to get from one place to another, so that I could be out longer and listen to my tunes longer. I don't do that as often these days because of the kids, but on the rare occasion that I'm in the car alone, I still take the scenic route sometimes. I also love driving long distances when I can get on the freeway and just go. As long as you have good music, it's all good.

Being stuck in traffic is a different ball game, though. That's when the crazy lady inside of me starts to come out.
This is me too. I loved driving as soon as I got my license - mainly to listen to music! My daughter will be the same, I can tell. She has her permit and I have to keep telling her no music until she is a better driver

I do get car sick if I'm riding in the back seat - everyone knows I have to sit up front or drive. I used to do all the driving because it's just me , but now Cheyanne drives a lot so she can get her 80 hours of practice time in before going for her license.

The longest road trip I've ever taken was our trip a couple summers ago from Maine out to Colorado, Arizona, Utah, up to Wyoming, across S. Dakota and back to Maine - 1 month, 26 states, and 7600 miles - all in a mini motor home - it was great!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like you, LeeAndra - I hate driving somewhere for the first time if I don't know the route. I do turn on my gps, but use directions I've looked up and memorized ahead of time Especially since we moved here, our gps doesn't map several areas, and says some roads are there and some aren't. Our 'home' address in the gps is wrong here because it says our address is down the street!

I have no issues being the non driver in the car, and I love long road trips as copilot I also love to get time to myself in the car for music as well. But if I'm driving for longer than 45 minutes or so, my face starts to get numb and I zone out. Sooo, yea, I don't drive on any of our long trips.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Confession time.. I am 32 years old and have never had my drivers license. I can drive I do have my permit. It just freaks me out! I am more of a don't like people person anyway so it definitely works for me.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:50 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

What's the difference between a permit and a licence? Here in the Netherlands you either have your drivers licence or you don't, there's nothing in between (besides lessons obviously).
Old 12-16-2015, 01:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind driving... but if hubby is along, he always drives, it's just what we do - even though it's because HE has control issues... haha... he wouldn't admit it. I'm not crazy driving in cities, but will do it as long as I have GPS telling me in which lane I need to be in to turn.

If going on vacation, I prefer to fly - I want to get there and start my vacation. I get really antzy in the car... like driving 3 hours to Chicago is too long! Our longest road trip was when J was 3, I think? We drove to Grand Rapids, MN via going south through Chicago and then came back home up through upper Michigan.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by annet83 View Post
What's the difference between a permit and a licence? Here in the Netherlands you either have your drivers licence or you don't, there's nothing in between (besides lessons obviously).
In the US, those learning need to get a permit... it just means that they have to an licensed adult in the front seat with you, you might not be able to drive at night... each state have different rules.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No, not a fan of driving. I'd much rather be a passenger. For destinations, I will always choose flying over driving.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I dont mind, i am a single mom so i am always the one who drives.
going on holidays to different country's.
didnt like to drive in ireland, the drive on the otherside on the road.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What Rebecca said. Except if you are over 18 you don't have the restrictions, you just have to have a licensed driver in the car with you.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't drive but my OH does and we love going out on drives on a weekend but we don't go too far usually an hour/90 mins in one direction or the 3 year old gets bored lol. We spend a fortune on petrol!

I would love to be able to drive myself but for a new driver over here the insurance is about £2000 for the first year then drops by a few hundred in the 2nd year and it's just not affordable
Old 12-16-2015, 04:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like driving and have done alot of it. Just last week I did 16 hours driving in two days on a work trip (I shared some of the driving with a colleague). Everywhere is a long way from everywhere else in Australia, especially when you grow up or live outside the capital cities, so long drives are a part of life (for mine and my husband's families at least).

I've done lots of long road trips for holidays too, in Australia and other countries. I was a passenger some of the time, but we covered thousands and thousands of kilometres each trip (over a few months).

Now as I get older and seem forever tired the long road trips are less appealing, so I need to take lots of breaks. I have kids in the car now too, but they're pretty good travellers, provided I keep a food supply going!!

As for a daily basis, I catch public transport to work. The traffic in Sydney is horrendous so I limit my driving to my local area and running around for the kids, grocery shopping, etc.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:40 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
In the US, those learning need to get a permit... it just means that they have to an licensed adult in the front seat with you, you might not be able to drive at night... each state have different rules.
Oh right, thanks for explaining. You guys can learn to drive from any adult with a licence as well if I remember correctly? Here in the Netherlands that's not allowed, you can only take lessons from a certified driving instructor. Things are a little different here
Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by annet83 View Post
Oh right, thanks for explaining. You guys can learn to drive from any adult with a licence as well if I remember correctly? Here in the Netherlands that's not allowed, you can only take lessons from a certified driving instructor. Things are a little different here
Every state has it's own rules but here in California, you have to do formal instruction (classroom & behind the wheel) with a certified instructor first, plus pass a written test before you can get your permit. Then you can practice on your own as long as a licensed driver is with you (like a terrified parent - I think they have to be at least 25 years old?)There's also rules for the first year you have your license about not being able to drive at night or with friends in the car.

I love to drive which is a good thing since from about 5-12 months it was the only place Ryan would consistently nap.

I've done a lot of road trips including driving the entirety of I-10 over two trips: Orlando to San Antonio and San Antonio to California. That stretch from San Antonio to El Paso is the worst, haha.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:31 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I'm not really a fan of driving. I have trigger thumb issues and carpal tunnel in both hands, so holding onto the steering wheel for more than 20 minutes can really hurt.

The longest road trip I have done is Seattle to San Francisco to Little Rock, Arkansas in few days. I hated it. I would much rather fly!

Both of my kids and my husband get road sick, so that isn't fun at all. I don't get sick and can read and I've even scrapbooked on a laptop on a road trip before.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
No, not a fan of driving. I'd much rather be a passenger. For destinations, I will always choose flying over driving.
This is me too. I drive because I have to, not because I like it. I could never be a taxi driver or truck driver. Hubby on the other hand loves to drive, and often says he'd like to drive trucks up and down the country.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love the independence that I have because I drive, but I'm neutral on driving itself. I'm fine driving or being a passenger. Generally if DH is with me he drives, and on long trips that's nice because I can read or scrap.

I don't mind driving in unfamiliar places, but I hate driving in unfamiliar cities. All big cities, really. That's when I'd rather take public transportation.

My long road trips were all when I was a kid. We lived in Connecticut and drove to Chicago, Quebec, and Florida (FL we did 10 or so times) on trips to visit relatives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
That stretch from San Antonio to El Paso is the worst, haha.
this made me lol - like 8 hours of absolutely nothing!!! That was our last day of driving (El Paso to San Antonio) when we moved from WA to TX. By far the worst day of the trip.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have to be the driver or I get car sickness. Even when I am the driver, I still get sick, but not nearly as much if I am the passenger. I travel best when I can lay down in the backseat of a minivan and sleep!

As far as taking trips: I don't mind so much driving, but I don't like dealing with the kids bickering, asking me questions, trying to talk to me while trying to find my navigation, stopping to take the dog potty or change a diaper. I could do without all the distractions and be happy as a lark. But because I live in reality, that doesn't happen so we don't really drive/go anywhere because it's such a headache! I'm dreading our cross-country move next month and hope by the time we get to our new home, I'll be pleasantly surprised with the drive. However I don't think that's going to happen! ;d
Old 12-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I drive, but I would much rather be a passenger. I drive whenever and wherever I need to though, I can handle it. The longest road trip I have take was from North Dakota to Orlando, FL, up to Washington DC and back home. We were gone about 2.5 weeks.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to drive. I also don't like the way DH drives so I usually try to grab the keys first.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm the driver since BF doesn't know his way around this area very well yet... plus I prefer to drive and I tend to get car sick if I have to sit in the back.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't like to drive. But I have no choice since my husband's away and no one's going to drive for us so it's gotta be me. But I absolutely love to drive to the bookstore and coffee shops though