Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Chores...

Do your kids have chores at home? If so what kind of things do they do?

I'll be honest, I slacked in this department when Kaden was younger. Since I lived with my parents through most of his younger years, his responsibilities were pretty lax. But now that we have our own space he's honestly lazy lol plus i want him to learn to clean up after himself because he's a bit of slob... (i am not looking forward to the teen years lol he's 10 btw) So I am implimenting a chores system. Simple stuff.

But I would love some ideas for his chores. I would like 1-3 things for him to do each day before he can play on xbox or watch tv.

Some things he already helps with are dishes, crushing cans, cleaning his room, and sweeping. Any other ideas would be wonderful.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

J has to take out the trash, when it's full... unload and load the dishwasher... clean off the table after dinner. If he wants to play on the ipad, he has to be doing laundry at the same time. My girlfriends told me that I was mean to make him do laundry while playing on the iPad... J has been helping with the laundry since he was 6... he doesn't mind doing it.

Now, getting him to straighten up his room and put away his toys... that is another story...
Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Throw in dusting, too. My kids dust their own rooms and sometimes baseboards. My 12 year old vacuums - the younger two have difficulty handling the vacuum.

I don't like them to put their laundry away (because I want it to stay folded nice), but they have to bring it downstairs and sort it before I wash it.

Cleaning windows/mirrors is also a fairly easy thing for kids to do.

Does he already make his bed in the morning?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
J has to take out the trash, when it's full... unload and load the dishwasher... clean off the table after dinner. If he wants to play on the ipad, he has to be doing laundry at the same time. My girlfriends told me that I was mean to make him do laundry while playing on the iPad... J has been helping with the laundry since he was 6... he doesn't mind doing it.

Now, getting him to straighten up his room and put away his toys... that is another story...
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
Throw in dusting, too. My kids dust their own rooms and sometimes baseboards. My 12 year old vacuums - the younger two have difficulty handling the vacuum.

I don't like them to put their laundry away (because I want it to stay folded nice), but they have to bring it downstairs and sort it before I wash it.

Cleaning windows/mirrors is also a fairly easy thing for kids to do.

Does he already make his bed in the morning?
The trash is a good one and helping with the laundry too... no he doesn't make his bed currently.

We recently just moved and he doesn't have a bed frame yet... just mattress on the floor lol so I haven't focused on that much.

Getting him to clean his room used to be tough, but now that my boyfriend is around he tends to do whatever he says lol...
Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Mine help with laundry. They have to make their beds and clean up their bathroom, bedroom and toyroom. One is responsible for putting the clean dishes and the other loads the dishwasher and does the knives by hand. They aren't great at them but they are getting better. Hopefully when they leave the house, they will have enough skills under their belt to keep their home clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It has changed through the years, but my 9 year old son does this regularly (when asked):

-Wipe up bathroom (toilet, sink area, floor, NOT shower/tub)
-Empty garbage cans throughout the house
-Take out garbage & recycling cans and bring them in when empty
-Take full laundry hampers to laundry room
-Sweep floors
-Help family clear table after dinner & wipe table down
-Set the table for dinner
-Get the mail
-Put away his folded laundry
-Dust
-Feed pets

Daily (without asking):
-Tidy any mess in his room before we leave the house, before doing something else in the house, and before bed
-Make bed first thing every morning
-Put dishes in dishwasher and clean up after eating lunch & breakfast

He doesn't have regularly scheduled chores aside from his daily list, he just does things as I ask him when they need to be done. Not everything is done by him weekly.

My 6 year old does many of the same things as my 9 year old with the exception of the bathroom. She does fold laundry for me, which he can't/won't do. They both have the same daily chore expectations.

I had them doing laundry for a while but I couldn't stand it. I like doing laundry myself! They help with everything but the washing & drying.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:41 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Connors chores rotate - but the ones he has to do daily are vacuuming, general tidying up and trash cans (bathroom trashes and kitchen trash - obv the big kitchen trash doesn't get emptied daily lol. But the bathroom ones usually do ). Additional chores dependent on the day include things like cleaning his bathroom ( including toilet. Because he's gross and I will no longer do that for him) empty & reload dishwasher, wash dry fold & iron his own clothes ( he does sometimes switch batches of household laundry for me but he doesn't fold that stuff). Sometimes I'll have him mop but he's bad at it. That's usually an act of desperation on my part like I'm stuck at work and we have company coming over lol. He's 12 now so he's old enough to help with whatever it may be needs helping. From wiping out the fridge to raking or whatever. He's been doing decent amounts of chores since the get go so he's pretty accustomed to the routines. He still gives me attitude some days though

Old 01-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm
Default Chores...

I wouldnt call it a chore, but my 3.5 yo son would put his dirty clothes in the washing machine, every now and then wash the plastic plates & cup he used for meal.
I do ask for his help on simple task, so that he'll get used to doing those household chores from young age.

Last edited by nietis; 01-07-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dishes
put away groceries
deliver and sort laundry
help set the table

Hmm, you've made me realize how little my son does around here!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My 12 year old sweeps after dinner, takes out the garbage, does his own laundry, straightens up before he can have any screen time, and picks up his room. Other jobs as needed, like helping DH in the yard.

My younger 2 (just turned 7 and a special needs 9 year old) do less. They put their own clothes in the laundry basket, straighten up, pick up their rooms, put away groceries, take out recycling, and bring in the mail. My youngest will soon add taking care of her fish to her list. Other jobs as needed for both of them, too.

Everyone here clears their own dishes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2016, 02:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 5 year old has a couple of chores in our house like feeding the cats, putting away the plates, sorting the laundry, she sweeps the floor and she take care of her playroom and toys. She's been helping me in a lot of things since she was 3. I also made sure that she knows the date, year and months. Whenever a relative would tell me that it's cool that I trained her at an early age, I always tell them it's because I'm lazy. But the truth is I wanted her to know what independence and responsibilities are at an early age while I want her to depend on me.