Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Making phone a hot spot?

Sherri's thread about getting a tablet got me thinking about how I want an iPad (don't know which one mini or regular). So hubby and I are sitting here looking at prices. I mentioned to him that many of you mentioned making your phones into hot spots so you wouldn't need to get the cellular network package. But looking at our cellular service provider (AT&T) to make our phone a hot spot it costs $50 per month. Is there an app out there that you can use without having to go thru AT&T? Because at that price - it nearly makes more sense to go with the wifi and cellular network package - it would have a larger base price but would cost less per month. Are we missing something?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I have Verizon and it's just part of our Share Everything plan. I have never used it, but it's nice to know we could. I wouldn't have spent extra money to have a hot spot though.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We haven't ever added this option to our phone, but I'm pretty sure with Verizon, it just adds $10 a month to whatever plan you already have. I can't imagine that they would charge you $50 a month on top of whatever else you're paying. Hmm.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have never added the hotspot to my phone because with AT&T if you do that you lose your unlimited data plan if you were grandfathered in.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only got the wifi version on my ipad. No service plan. I don't use my phone as a hotspot either. I just connect online when there is wifi available. IF I know we are going on a trip, I will download a movie while at home to have it saved on the tablet. I usually delete after trip though because it takes up a lot of room. No biggie to us. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're with Verizon as well and it's part of our plan.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We do like Tara... hubby looked into the hot spot part of it too... We are on Version, but we don't have the share everything - just two individual data plans - because my parents are on our plan with basic phones, it was cheaper to do it this way..

The plan we used to have (pre-iphone through verison), had it that you could add it one month and take it off another... it was really handy when we went camping - I was still able to see the new releases at SSD on Saturday! Well, this was per-Babe for me... hahaha
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow - Verizon sounds like a better provider in this front! Any AT&T ladies out there?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sadly, you're not missing anything. AT&T has always been stingy with tethering/hotspots so your only option thru them is the $50 data+hotspot plan that you found. I think that replaces your data plan though, it's not in addition to it? But as someone else mentioned if you have an unlimited plan (I still do), you'd have to give it up to get that feature. They don't allow any tethering on an unlimited plan.

The only option I know to get around AT&Ts fees is by jailbreaking your phone and using one of the hot spot apps. But you have to select one that doesn't use the same access point as AT&T because they monitor theirs for unauthorized tethering use and will bill you if they catch it. And I think jailbreaking voids your phone warranty as well.