Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default New Years at home ideas?

We are planning to have a nice quiet New Years at home. Any ideas for something special we can do? So far I've come up with playing board games, cooking a nice dinner, and renting a movie. Not the most exciting ideas. DH thought maybe we could make a craft together so any ideas for that? We had a really horrible 2012 and are really hopeful that 2013 will be our year. We want to do something special together to welcome in a fresh start. Thanks for your ideas!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We always blow up an air bed and/or bring all our pillows and blankets out into the living room and sleep with all of us in one room, watching DVDs. Around 10 pm, I usually make some snacks for everyone (just frozen appetizers, nothing big). I'm usually asleep well before midnight. I think last year the only one to make it until midnight was my youngest.

Hope 2013 is a great year for you.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

here's something i pinned - a link to 30 NYE crafts:
http://www.redtedart.com/2012/11/01/...rs-eve-crafts/

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Oh, btw it will just me DH and me. We haven't got kids yet. Thanks for your ideas!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Last year, kiddo was invited to a friends NYE celebration... the kids had crafts to do and they made spaghetti... and then at 8:30, they had a mirror ball that dropped and the kids threw confetti... and of course with the kids average age of 3, the ball had to drop a couple of times and more confetti to throw... haha... it was fun. Then we came home and watched a movie until midnight... even since I was a little kid, we would have a mini-feast with midnight... ham sandwiches, cheese and sausage, egg nog, egg dip, taco dip and what ever else we wanted... and of course herring... German tradition is to eat 12 pieces of herring by the stroke of midnight, one piece for each month of the coming year to ensure financial health.

And also a throw back to my childhood... I would spend the night at my grandfather's, sleeping in the living room... and early in the morning, my grandpa would sneak in and turn on the christmas tree lights... so we started at our house where kiddo and I sleep on the sofa in the living room NYE...

NYE has always been my most favorite holiday... I have lots of happy memories of my beloved Grandpa on this night... we would always listen to big band music on the radio and didn't find out until 15 years later, that I was listening to my futher father-in-law's radio show...

ETA: Doh! I just read your post about not having kids... sorry - I'm s slow typer... haha... I can't help, before kiddio, I went and helped hubby at the radio station... we would still have our mini-feast... I would scrap and hubby was busy doing his thing with FIL.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i think that if it were just dh and i - i would:

1) cook one of our favorite meals or order out chinese
2) have some champagne
3) watch a movie (probably 'love, actually' - we watch that ever year b/c we saw it the night before new years eve in 2003 right before we got engaged)
4) if i wanted to get crafty - i'd do a time capsule and include letters that we write to each other (now that i write this i may go ahead and do it this year myself)
5) watch some of the new years activities on TV

another thought - if you want to have a focus on a fresh start in 2013 - maybe get a big poster board and magazines and make a "vision board" with things that are inspiring to you that you can hang up somewhere?

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Two games we play.

Beat the intro... listen to just the introduction to a song and we have to guess it. But I have my laptop and DH has guess my music and I have to guess his.

We also like to play link the movie... pick two movies which are completely unrelated and link from actor to movie in as little steps as possible.
eg: Hunger Games to Kramer vs Kramer- Hunger Games>Stanley Tucci>Devil wears Prads> Meryl Streep>Kramer vs Kramer
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We decided last night we are having a big new years party with our family. No kids here either... We will be doing a bit (or a lot depending on the moods) of drinking and snacking on all kinds of finger foods. We like board games and have a pool table/ poker table in our man cave.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mother always did a New Years Eve progressive dinner with their neighbors. When they were younger and I was a kid, their New Years Eve dinners always had something a bit risque. One year my mom made dinner rolls into big letters. They played 'scrabble' on the dining room table with all their friends and of course you got more points for dirty words. My sister and I were safely in the basement watching videos!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like the idea of making a vision board for 2013 since you want to focus on a fresh start! I'm not a lot of help as I have 5 kiddos and we normally don't do much for new years besides eat and watch movies