Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Driving to Denver with a 5 yo and 3 yo

Hey ladies-

At the end of the month we are loading up the car and driving for 2 days from Austin to Denver. Yes, I think we are KA-RAZY but we can't afford for 4 of us to fly. We have 2 DVD players for the kids to watch movies and my 5 yo has a Nintendo DS and my 3 yo has a leapster. What other things should I take to keep them entertained?

Also, any suggestions on organizers for the backseat to keep their stuff organized? Any suggestions on a good lap tray for both of them for their car seats?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I don't think you're crazy! I have no kids, but I can tell you that when I was about that age, me, my parents and my 2 younger sisters used to go to sout Italy every summer to visit family... It's about 10-12 hours by car. My youngest sister was 1 the first time we did it, and I was 5, the other was 3.
I remember it was like an adventure, we used to stop before leaving in a book store and my parents let use pick a book or a few magazine, and I still remember stopping once in a while to take a pic or eat in a new place. We did have our music to listen (no dvd player back then.. eheh), and used to sing all together.
Yes, we did get tired and yes, we did fight sometimes, but those road trip are still my fav memories. have fun!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You'll do fine! It is an adventure with kiddos but it makes memories! I've done it at least once a year for three years (two day drives by myself with the kiddos).

One thing I got (which may drive you crazy) was a bag of those soft pom pom thingies. They could throw them around if they got really stir crazy and nothing would get hurt. They laughed and if we lost some...oh well they are cheap. Oh and pipe cleaners, they can bend them and create monsters/buildings/ect with them.

We also bought a season of the old school Transformers cartoon for our trip this year and they were GLUED to the screen for at least one whole day. Maybe you could rent something new from your library.

We just bought lap trays that were at the bookstore, and used them a little (not as much as I had hoped). Bring a few plastic bags from Walmart or wherever for trash, it seems to breed on car trips! I just put a basket between them and put all their stuff (minus the DVDs) in there. I just embraced the chaos I guess!

anyway...that is my experience...good luck and take lots of photos along the way! Oh and if you are coming my way (going US-287) you could stop by and say "hi" because it looks like I'm on your way! Lunch break? PM me if you want to! I've got a 6 and a 3.5 year old.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh good luck! We had a family vacation last year and were in the car a total of 55 hours. It was not fun. ha. No, the trip there was okay and everyone was great except the baby (she was 4-5 months). that was hard. But anyway... we went to the dollar store and picked a few cheap random toys... without them knowing and every couple hours they could get a new toy. they love to color so we got coloring books (they were 4 and 2 btw) and some new crayons. We used clipboards instead of a laptray... but you could even use cookie sheets or michaels always has fun ones with compartments on the sides... but I don't think they'd fit over carseats actually, so nevermind.

we picked out 2 new movies for them (cheap ones) and some books. what else... some little games they could play themselves... like a car bingo or something--they mark what they see outside. I'll keep thinking. I made a bunch of craft things for them to play with, but I don't really remember what they were now, ha.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We're planning a trip from OKC-Port Isabel-Corpus-San Antonio-OKC later this year, and so I feel your pain!
I'm wanting to get this for Rachel...I've read some good reviews on it.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am lucky because my 5 year old is a very good traveler. He loves it. He helps pick out travel food snacks (His favorites are cheez-its, pringles and triscuits with squirt cheese in a can!). We stop at a local convenience store and buy him a Dr. Pepper Slushy and we are on our way!

Entertainment - Movies to watch, leapster, color wonder markers and book, plastic dinosaurs and animals (his favorite!) and a few books. He has his own little suit case he packs with his toys and it is right by him in the car.

We also play I Spy and "My Cows". It is a game we made up. When we see a field of cows, who ever "claims" it my saying "My Cows" gets it. Who ever has the most at the end of the trip wins. The prize is normally a special treat or dollar store toy. Sometimes it is just getting to pick out where we eat for our next meal.

I have never had a tray for travel caddy for him. SO I don't know what to suggest there. Sorry!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know...im not sure why Im worrying about this trip. We drive to Baton Rouge all the time to visit my IL's and the kids do great and thats an 8 hour trip. I guess Im just worried about driving for 2 days part. But Im loving the suggestions!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Stacy we have a tray like that! I can't tell for sure that it's the EXACT same one , but it looks like it! the problem is that the kids only want to do a particular activity for a little while and then move on to something else. When my son came around and we needed a second tray for the car, we opted for the lap-desk variety. It doesn't keep stuff from rolling off, but it is much easier to put on...off...on...off...on...off (get the picture?! lol!) the one we have has a buckle that you have to open and close (and get out of your own seat each time)...

Amber - my kids are the same age as yours!
My trick is to go to Big Lots...or any other local close-out store you have nearby. Like the dollar store they have a bunch of cheap stuff - but they have a MUCH bigger toy/stationery section. I usually spend $15-$20 per kid and pick up enough crap to fill up a backpack for each of them. stickers, markers, small toys, etc. I found a disney princess craft kit there once that my DD LOVED, it was like $5.

Other things I've taken that works - that Model Magic fusion clay (the air dry variety), they like that...and bendaroos, they made stuff and stuck them to their windows!

also - we made a DVD of the music videos for the kids favorite songs. THEY LOVE IT. we made it several months ago, they still want it on non-stop. It's crazy how much they love watching the videos. We have Taylor Swift songs, Kelly Clarkson (we love american idols, LOL!)...you can get the videos for free off U-tube for free!!

good luck!!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
Stacy we have a tray like that! I can't tell for sure that it's the EXACT same one , but it looks like it! the problem is that the kids only want to do a particular activity for a little while and then move on to something else. When my son came around and we needed a second tray for the car, we opted for the lap-desk variety. It doesn't keep stuff from rolling off, but it is much easier to put on...off...on...off...on...off (get the picture?! lol!) the one we have has a buckle that you have to open and close (and get out of your own seat each time)...
How does it do for eating snacks/sandwiches, etc? Thankfully Rachel is pretty good about handling long trips...but with a 2000 mile trip coming up, I thought it might help the backseat of my Ram if she had something to eat off of. I need something that keeps stuff from rolling off, because if it falls on the floorboard, I am not able to reach all the way down there w/o taking off my seatbelt.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
How does it do for eating snacks/sandwiches, etc? Thankfully Rachel is pretty good about handling long trips...but with a 2000 mile trip coming up, I thought it might help the backseat of my Ram if she had something to eat off of. I need something that keeps stuff from rolling off, because if it falls on the floorboard, I am not able to reach all the way down there w/o taking off my seatbelt.
It will be great for food! but it really takes two hands to put it around the seat since it has one of those clip-buckles that wraps around the carseat itself. And my kids just drove me CRAZY wanting it on,off...on, offf...on, off...

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That'll be perfect for what I am wanting then, yay I guess it would work for toys too, but honestly she hardly ever plays with her toys on trips...she stays engrossed in the DVD player (and we're thinking about getting her a Leapster or something like that as well)
Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, good news for us is that we just drove 8 hours from Austin to Baton Rouge to visit my IL's today and the boys were AWESOME with just their DVD players. We stopped 2 times- 1 for a potty break and then the other to eat lunch and that seemed to be ok. So even though we will be driving for 2 days for 8 hours each I think the boys will do well but Im definitely going to get them some new toys and other things you guys suggested just in case! Its so much easier traveling now that the kids are older than when they were babies. The constant crying for hours on end was unnerving!