Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-12-2021, 05:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you have food rules?

My hubby makes fun of me because I have some food rules - some hard fast ones and others that are more like a guideline ... for example -

Roast beef with mashed potatoes and Yorkshires - this is a winter/cold weather food. You do not make this in summer.

Or my hard fast rule - if it lived in water I don't eat it. It's a phobia, not sure why ... just have never been able to do it!

Do you have any food rules?

Old 09-12-2021, 05:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

How about a beverage rule? I won't drink milk out of a plastic cup. Gotta be a glass glass
Old 09-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Chili is a cold weather only food. I'm not a fan of water dwellers either.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
How about a beverage rule? I won't drink milk out of a plastic cup. Gotta be a glass glass

Ooooh that's a good one! I don't drink milk often but I would agree!

Old 09-12-2021, 06:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Agree 100% with both of these lol

Old 09-12-2021, 06:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't think of any "rules" that I have for food. I'll have to ask my daughter because she has a much better memory than I do and I have to admit, this is probably something I'd never admit to having if I did have one!
Old 09-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wish I had some rules, I just love it all!

Old 09-12-2021, 07:36 PM
Banned

profile gallery

My only food rule is for it to get in my belly.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh I have food rules. I will not use gravy on my meat as the thought of it touching my veggies sends me over the edge. Speaking of which, my food can’t touch, kind of, there are some exceptions. For example corn can touch mashed potatoes, peas asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts can touch rice or potatoes. Veggies can not touch meat at all. Cranberry sauce and stuffing can touch turkey but they must not touch anything else.

Interestingly in love soup, stew and chilli, lol.

I will eat some fish but it must not look like a fish ie., has to be descaled and filleted. I just started eating pickerel and only fresh.

Some foods I will only cook in the fall/winter and prefer cooking in those seasons. I find dinners in the summer hard.

My water has to be cold cold and I won’t drink it without a straw. I do not use butter on bread if I’m making a sandwich unless it’s a grilled cheese.

Guess I have more than I thought �� and probably missed some.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My husband does not like seafood. He said that he does not want to have to look at what the food looked like when it was alive laying dead on his plate. He also said he only can picture the seafood dancing around like they did in the little mermaid.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am pretty picky but wouldn't say rules...I like my eggs scrambled and burnt...well, well done. Can't eat it runny...texture issue.

I like my tea unsweet with a lot of ice and a ton of Splenda. I even carry Splenda in my purse and car. I won't go a restaurant unless I have my bag of Splenda. I have been known to stop at a store just to buy some to have at dinner.

I like my steaks medium rare but will eat them rare but never well done (that is roast beef..LOL)

I prefer to cook chili, soups/stews in winter but I have a low point (weight watcher) chili recipe that I use and will fix..kids love it too.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My only rule is "it all goes to the same place" I don't mind if my foods touch, often mix them together, etc. But, I'm not picky at all (obvs) and love food too much!
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only rule I had was no soft drinks allowed in the house when the kids were growing up. The only time they were allowed pop was if we went to a restaurant. My second husband is a big pop drinker and he thinks it's weird that my kids never accept pop when they come over. Other than that, I love all food and will eat just about anything, any time of the year.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a soft texture issue and won't eat anything that consistency + generally prefer my food to be more cooked/crunchy (or cook whatever it is until it's hard vs. soft) like bacon, grilled sandwiches, pizza crust, etc. I won't eat unrefrigerated/generic bread, oatmeal, stuffing, or dumplings because it is all that texture to me.

My food does not touch on my plate and I don't mix things together on my plate. I do eat "mixed" food, like casseroles, but if it doesn't come served together, it doesn't get eaten together.

I used to be much much much pickier when I was a kid but it's gotten a lot better as an adult especially when I can make whatever it is myself and control the spice level & texture + see what ingredients actually go in it and take out what I don't like.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My fruit has to be hard, and I mean rock hard. If it is at all soft or squishy it gives me the heebie jeebies. That goes for most veggies too.

I can't eat bananas because of the texture, no way to make them hard I guess. LOL

I used to love a good steak, but ever since I became diabetic and went on medicine, I can't eat beef. I just have no desire for it at all.

There are some brands of bread and pizza crusts that I can not eat because they seem to get bigger as I chew them. I generally prefer thin crust pizza for this very reason.

Finally, if I am eating wings, they need to be naked with the sauce on the side. I can not have messy food.

Almost forgot, that entire lives in water thing goes for me too. Ugh!

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 09-12-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:03 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Sunny side up eggs gross me out. That practically raw yolk...ewww. I just can't.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a soft textures issue too...no applesauce, smoothies, bananas...etc...gross me out.

Neither of my kids have ever had soda...well until this summer. My 17yr old drank once or twice. Both of my boys drink a lot of milk, chocolate milk (if we go out), water and juice. It is funny seeing my 17yr old with his juice box but they prefer it. He drinks a lot of water too...but no caffeine yet for the youngest except maybe a sip of my tea if he is dying of thirst and has no water. My 17yr old packs his lunch and it is so sad...uncrustable pbandJ, juice box, little debbie cookie, fruit cup and little debbie cookie...
I just started buying those this year before that they only got those at grandma's house or on vacation. Only cookies we would have are granola bars...I would bake cookies on occasion but rarely. We try to keep sweets at a minimum. My little guy lives off of fruit cups and fruit in general. They both love salads, raw veggies...they eat way better than I do. The little one is 11 and will try anything. He loves onions...if we have onion rings he will peel the crust off and eat the onion...odd child. LOL
I have gotten better but my cooked veggies have to be crispy..not soggy.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My only hard and fast rule is one I didn't get to choose: Gluten free. Oh, and I guess raisins. I do not eat raisins. Raisins are from the devil. All other dried fruit is fine, just no raisins. Other than that, I like my food--all of it--any way I can get it--heaped on my plate, touching each other and mixing up--yum yum!

Old 09-13-2021, 06:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh yes, forgot about the bananas, I can’t eat them or touch them. I do love banana bread and I gag the entire time I cut them up. I have started making pumpkin chocolate bread instead.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The two reasonably hard and fast rules I have to stick to - lactose free and garlic free as much as possible. I'm intolerant to both but can still have some depending on type and quantity. I've been lactose intolerant for 11 years now and garlic intolerant for 9 months after years of trying to figure that one out.....I initially thought it was tomato that I was intolerant to, then garlic and onion but its actually just garlic.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-13-2021, 07:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No real rules except where it goes.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Not really, if bananas get a little speckled, I won't eat them. I can put them in oatmeal or something, but not just to eat.

I won't drink coffee out of a metal cup, I don't like the way it tastes.

My husband is funny, he will not eat trail mix. He'll eat all the individual parts, but not together.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can not drink out of those metal insulated cup. Putting my mouth on the metal gives me the heebee jeebees. No metal straws either.

I can NOT eat fish, or smell fish cooking it is disgusting to me
However the only exception I've found is Mahi Mahi in a sandwich lol
Old 09-13-2021, 10:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
My only hard and fast rule is one I didn't get to choose: Gluten free. Oh, and I guess raisins. I do not eat raisins. Raisins are from the devil. All other dried fruit is fine, just no raisins. Other than that, I like my food--all of it--any way I can get it--heaped on my plate, touching each other and mixing up--yum yum!
Me too about the GF...

Old 09-13-2021, 11:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

OMG you guys are making me laugh this morning!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy around here!!

I don't have a ton of rules really, but I guess I have a few little things...

I don't like my food to touch on my plate (although it's not a deal breaker or anything if it does.. just preference.)

I can't drink out of metal either and don't really care for plastic. I have a certain mug for coffee and a certain mug for tea. And I have the ceramic Starbucks mugs for when I'm going out... one for coffee and one for tea. (I can't mix those because I always feel like I can taste the coffee in a mug once it's been used for that.)

All my joking about my love of wine aside, I generally only drink it on weekends, unless I'm cooking pasta. Then I have a glass while I'm cooking, and another with dinner. Just tastes better that way.

I love toast, but not toasted bread for sandwiches. Even if I get a club sandwich, I ask for it untoasted.

I love nuts and seeds, but not in my food. Only ever on the side. I hate that odd random crunch when I'm eating.

Seafood... if it had fins or legs, I love it. I refuse to eat clams/muscles, etc. They look too gross to even contemplate!
Old 09-13-2021, 12:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Yes - raisins are gross... they should be thrown away! You want to ruin a friendship, just have a plate of oatmeal cookies and you think is chocolate chip only to bite into it and find it is oatmeal raisin.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I've never thought about it... but I guess I do...

Meat must be well done... no pink! Fish is gross unless it is haddock beer batter deep fried. You pretty much can deep fry anything and I'll eat it. #midwestcuisine

If I bite into chicken grizzle/fat it with make me throw up... but pork fat - give me all the bacon... but bacon has to be crisp... no floppy bacon, I like it dark almost burnt... even if it is burn, I will eat it. haha

Apparently it is impossible for me to cook the same thing twice if I have to follow a recipe, haha. Exception is chili, that is something I will make many times. But I'm always using new recipes. My husband will be like, "I really like this... but I know I'll never see it again." Yup - even if I use the same recipe, I NEVER follow it - I'm always changing it.

I hate knowing what I am having for meals... so meal planning is so annoying for me to do. I do it, I do plan, but I'm not happy knowing I'm having spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

Eggs... only acceptable form is omelet or scrambled with lots of veggies, meat or cheese in it... nothing fried or where you see the yoke separate from the white - eggs whites are gross unless whipped into a meringue for a pie. I will eat devil eggs, but there has to be a lot of the yoke mixture so it masks the taste of the white part.

Fizzy water is gross. Beer is gross. Most wines are gross. Pretty much unless my alcohol drink tastes like fruit punch, I'm not going to drink it. Exception - brandy sweet is my go to cocktail.

I love mayo with my french fries... not a big fan of ketchup.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to really think about this. I don't have a lot of rules but a few things are:
  • only 2 pieces of toast, never more than that at one meal
  • no meat/fish
  • tofu must be spiced and marinated to be tolerable
  • no coffee in the evening, cutoff is usually around 5
Old 09-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My food cannot touch.

I eat one thing at a time and finish it before eating the next thing.

I save my favorite of the things I am separating for last.

I drink water with food except pizza needs soda.

I don't eat anything that was an animal of any sort.

I don't eat mushy foods.

I don't eat berries.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

Fizzy water is gross. Beer is gross.
What she said!!!!! I don't like beer, wine etc. I hate sparkling drinks.
I am water, juice, pop and that's it. I don't think alcohol either....very rarely I'll do a rum & coke., but those are so few and far between that usually I just skip it altogether anyway.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't believe I have any rules besides only drinking water during meals. I don't really like soda. I'd rather eat dessert than having a sugary drink.

I love all food (most of it at least). Give me all the runny eggs!
Old 09-13-2021, 03:13 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
What she said!!!!! I don't like beer, wine etc. I hate sparkling drinks.
I am water, juice, pop and that's it. I don't think alcohol either....very rarely I'll do a rum & coke., but those are so few and far between that usually I just skip it altogether anyway.
Yes beer is pretty gross. I only have found three that I have tolerated. One was some Oktoberfest beer that was imported from Germany and only available at a restaurant in Vegas, some japanese cherry beer that my sister made me try but when I asked her what it was she has no clue, and Fiji gold. All beers I do not have access to, so no beer for me.

Hubby even took a picture of me drinking the fiji gold because he thought it was hysterical that i was drinking beer from a can.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in disliking mushy foods. I actually don't mind foods that come soft naturally like bananas. But I really don't like most cooked fruits and veggies because of the consistency. I love apples but don't like cooked apples. If you are going to cook a fruit you have to puree it for me to like it. Cooked eggplant and zucchini make me want to hurl based on the consistency alone.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't have food rules...

Here some people have specific foods they say that it is seasonal related and would never eat in winter or summer. I feel like it is something between the ears people believe.
But no matter wat season it is if we like it we eat it even though others think we might be crazy lol like chili we still love in winter..
Old 09-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
Give me all the runny eggs!
Yes! Extra runny yolks to dip my toast in!!! (But I do like the whites cooked, I must say.)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:49 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
Yes! Extra runny yolks to dip my toast in!!! (But I do like the whites cooked, I must say.)
Noooooooooo

Old 09-13-2021, 04:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No pineapple on pizza! I actually dislike any fruits mixed with non-fruit foods.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
No pineapple on pizza! I actually dislike any fruits mixed with non-fruit foods.
Oh my gosh, yes! My hubby is Canadian and so LOVES Hawaiian pizza. I think its an abomination.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:20 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I can not drink out of those metal insulated cup. Putting my mouth on the metal gives me the heebee jeebees. No metal straws either.
I highly advise you to take the best care of your teeth then because dental implants are made of metal. You can hear my top and bottom teeth hitting each other.

I don't think I have food rules, there are just foods I don't like so don't eat them. And, these days I'm just glad that I can eat whatever I want because 2 years of eating nothing but soft foods because of having no teeth and not tolerating dentures well at all is definitely not fun at all.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:22 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Some of us are really going to enjoy all those extra beers, bottles of wine, runny eggs, and bananas. Me. I will enjoy all of those extra things.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have too many rules other than foods I just don't like (peanut butter, mustard, pickles). I agree with Rebecca that I don't like meal planning.
I don't mind runny yokes of eggs, but runny whites make we want to gag. I generally don't mind my food touching/intermingling except pancake syrup and eggs. Something about mixing sweet with eggs is gross.
As I've gotten older, I've become much more selective about my beer. The only beer I'll try/drink now are generally a sours. We have a zillion craft breweries in our area and every one of them makes several IPAs and that hoppy flavor is just not a flavor I like. A fruity, sour though, I'll take them all day.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
Some of us are really going to enjoy all those extra beers, bottles of wine, runny eggs, and bananas. Me. I will enjoy all of those extra things.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What an interesting thread! I started to say I don't have any hard and fast food rules, but that's not true.

I will not eat gamey meat or organs. Venison and liver are both instant non-starters for me. I can't get past the smell and taste.

I will not eat standard oatmeal. Blame it on Beverly Cleary's Ramona Quimby. I can't get past the texture and an instant mental connection to that story. Quite literally, I physically cannot swallow it.

And I am religious about food safety - proper temperatures, storage, cross-contamination, etc. It's important for everyone, but that much more important when you're living with auto-immune issues.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 09-13-2021, 09:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You guys, you made me feel normal with my food! lol

I also don't do berries - texture. Same as Kiwi - the seeds drive me nuts.

My food can touch, and I'll have gravy, but I have to eat my veggies first before putting gravy on.

I used to save my favourite things for last but now that my stomach is so small (gastric bypass) I eat it first because it won't fit if I don't.

I can't eat and drink any liquids at the same time (that's due to my surgery too)

Old 09-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I started this thread thinking I didn't have food rules, but I guess I do!

I'm a pescetarian (vegetarian plus fish), but I'm very picky about fish. No strong tastes, nothing with skin on or that looks like fish. I eat more seafood than actual fish, and even that is only once or twice a month. Some days I can't tolerate fish or seafood--they feel too animal-y. Obviously no beef, poultry, pork, etc.

I HATE drinks with carbonation. No soda, seltzer, or beer. Can't stand any of it! (And none of my kids drink any of them either.)

I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. I drink water, coffee, and hot tea. I like other drinks, but I rarely drink them.

Food safety matters. Everything must be cooked to a safe temperature and handled correctly. I even date packages of foods that spoil quickly once opened and write the date on all leftovers.

Nothing too spicy.

Bananas can not be too ripe. Yellow with some green is fine, any brown is gross and too sweet.

I end up seeming picky because of the vegetarianism and because I try to avoid fried, sugary, or empty-carb foods. But other than that, I'm really not picky, I swear! I'll eat almost anything that doesn't violate my rules above.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No rules per se. There is a very small list of foods I don't care for - but I would eat most if served to me. I'm not picky at all.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL, here is another one for me. Every time one of our customers make me made, I get back at them by banning their product from my fridge. Right now we are crazy busy and they are all being pissy about it, so I haven't had any yogurt in months! I just know it is killing their profit margin.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:08 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm not super picky about foods and I don't think I have too many texture issues either, but we have a lot of food allergies in our house - so that makes things tricky.

Youngest daughter: ana to carrots, and allergic to all pollens which means a lot of fruits she can't eat. Also allergic, but not ana to peanuts and all tree nuts except brazil nuts - ever seen one of those babies on its own? I'm sure if she wanted to eat them I could hunt some down for her that are not mixed in with other nuts....but, why take the risk.

Middle daughter: just tree nuts and peanuts

Hubby: walnuts and some fruit (pollen again) and anything from the nightshade family (tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes) will make his arthritis flare.

So that makes mealtime around here planned out and careful as we avoid carrots (and those babies are hidden in all kinds of foods!!!), tomatoes, potatoes and I make my hubby pick his peppers out because the rest of us love them!

One of hubby's rules: no beef at supper (will give him reflux if he eats it too late) so we eat a lot of chicken or turkey for suppers.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
LOL, here is another one for me. Every time one of our customers make me made, I get back at them by banning their product from my fridge. Right now we are crazy busy and they are all being pissy about it, so I haven't had any yogurt in months! I just know it is killing their profit margin.
haha that's hilarious!
Old 09-15-2021, 02:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Chili is for when the weather is colder one is one of my rules too! My daughters boy friend has been asking for it all summer, and I'm like no way, not yet!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow