Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-22-2021, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Dates

Do you put the date on your page or are you good at remembering when the event happened? I scrap so randomly right now that I do but I am always trying to think of creative ways to "hide" it on the page. Sometimes I just throw it on the page at the bottom and move on...
How do you put the date on your page or do you?

Some templates have a tab....

Or I add one

Mix it with journaling

Hidden on an element
Old 10-22-2021, 04:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to all the time, but I know for a fact sometimes the dates are a bit iffy.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I try to always date my layouts. I'd be kidding myself to think I'll remember every day or even year my photos were taken. I usually pop the date at the end of the journalling, or balanced somewhere on the page. I don't usually try to hide it.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:11 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Always, even if it is something generic like "Summer 1982". I don't try to hide it either.

And when I'm doing a layout that is mostly journaling about something that I have no pictures from that is very old, I'll put the approximate date in the journaling and at the bottom list the date the layout was made.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I add dates about 90% of the time. I love to put them on hanging tags. If I don’t use one on my page, I usually will add the date on the bottom of an element cluster or by the title.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to date every page! I also save every layout with the date after the title too! This helps me to organize my layouts into the correct year, month and or subject (if it was a trip). It helps me when/if I ever get pages printed also!
Old 10-22-2021, 06:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don’t date most of my pages actually, but I print chronologically, so my books are always from a certain time frame. It’s pretty easy to figure out roughly when the are.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to remember to add dates or at least the month and year because I know I won't remember in a few years time!

Old 10-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I add month and year to nearly every layout. The one exception is if I have many pages from the same event--in that case I may just date the first layout in the sequence. I often write them under a photo (lined up with the edge), on the white border of a photo, or with the journaling.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I date every single layout, even when it’s a vacation album and all the pages are in one book. Most dates are at the end of my journaling or it’s tucked in a empty spaces by some leaves or a cluster.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always try to date mine - I scrap randomly, never in order, so I like to include at least the date and who is in the photo

Old 10-22-2021, 08:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always try to date it but sometimes I forget. I usually add it after the journaling or if there is no journaling I'll use a hanging tag or put it in the corner of a neutral paper.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am inconsistent with dating my layouts. If it’s a page of older photos,I will usually date it, but for my pages of the current year, I forget half the time.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always try to date my pages. I also try to put the place unless it's where we currently live.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:57 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I try to date every page! I also save every layout with the date after the title too! This helps me to organize my layouts into the correct year, month and or subject (if it was a trip). It helps me when/if I ever get pages printed also!
I date my page, but I also do something similar to Aussiegirl. All LO fiile names start with YYYY-MM and then the actual "title" of my page. If I know the exact date, then I include that top. So a LO about Christmas Eve 2017 would be named 2017-12-Dec24_Christmas_Eve_presents (or whatever the page is about). I print albums I call "Remember This" series: they aren't in chronological order. They're just whatever LOs I've finished recently. So having the date ON the page is super helpful for those albums. But having my file names include dates helps me organize my pages in digital form. I hope it makes looking at them in the future easier (not to be morbid, but I'm thinking about when I'm not around to share info about the pages).
Old 10-23-2021, 07:41 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I am not good at exact dates so add months and years - most of the time
Old 10-23-2021, 08:45 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
I date my page, but I also do something similar to Aussiegirl. All LO fiile names start with YYYY-MM and then the actual "title" of my page. If I know the exact date, then I include that top. So a LO about Christmas Eve 2017 would be named 2017-12-Dec24_Christmas_Eve_presents (or whatever the page is about). I print albums I call "Remember This" series: they aren't in chronological order. They're just whatever LOs I've finished recently. So having the date ON the page is super helpful for those albums. But having my file names include dates helps me organize my pages in digital form. I hope it makes looking at them in the future easier (not to be morbid, but I'm thinking about when I'm not around to share info about the pages).
If I know the exact date for the layout then I use "yearmoda description" so it sorts correctly. Using your example, I would call it "20171224 Presents". If I had food photos for the same day then that would be "20171224 Food". If I don't know the date or even the month I'll use something like "1989 Summer Bateman" which would have been the Bateman family during summer of 1989.

I like having dates in file names and also like keeping them as short as possible!
Old 10-23-2021, 02:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I purposely don't put exact dates on most pages, only month and year. The reality is, no one later is going to care whether we went to the pumpkin patch on Oct. 25th or 15th. Having only month and year allows me a lot more flexibility when I'm organizing the pages into photobooks. If I had exact dates, it would bother me not to have them in exact chronological order, LOL! This lets me move single pages after 2-pagers even if the single page happened first, pair 2 single page layouts that look good together even if there are supposed to be a few pages in between them, etc. For things where the exact day does matter, like a birthday, I include it. I also include it on Project Life pages. When I'm pulling my photobook together, I add a number before each layout so that they sort in the order I want them to appear in the book.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will often use a template's tab, hanging tag, or wordstrip for the date, but I also love to use Cindy's layered dates as elements, that way my date is coloured the same to match my page (Cindy has 22 different layered dates templates):

Old 10-23-2021, 06:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I'm scrapping for actual albums, I do try to include the month/year at a minimum.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I always put a date, or at least a month/year. If it's reflective journaling about old pictures, I'll put both the date of the story & the date of the pictures. In my PL book, I do think it's kind of dumb that I almost always put the year on each page when the whole book is about that year, but... oh well
Old 10-23-2021, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I like the idea of putting the date in the file name. Persnickety's Prints puts the file name on the back of the layouts when you print and that would help me organize them. I spent the day organizing layouts that I printed...I sent off 200 layouts to print ranging from 2005 to 2021...I so don't scrap in order I even had to make a run to Hobby Lobby for page protectors. I have some wrong dates on layouts as well as layouts I forgot to date...doh!
Old 10-23-2021, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I will often use a template's tab, hanging tag, or wordstrip for the date, but I also love to use Cindy's layered dates as elements, that way my date is coloured the same to match my page (Cindy has 22 different layered dates templates):
I like the tags you used for the dates...I will have to look at those.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love seeing all the different ways y'all put dates on a page.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I print chronologically in bound books, so I'm not always meticulous about adding the date. However, on AAM layouts or other things that I print out individually to put in a regular album, I try to remember the date.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gotta have the date! Sometimes I put it on the page somewhere like a watermark if it interferes with the aesthetic.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I almost always date my pages. Sometimes my older photos have the date already on them so I just use that. If I don't know the date, I guess the month and year... close enough I figure.
I like to use tags or just add it small somewhere or in the journaling.
Collage pages don't always have a date if pics are from different times.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 10-25-2021, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I purposely don't put exact dates on most pages, only month and year. The reality is, no one later is going to care whether we went to the pumpkin patch on Oct. 25th or 15th. Having only month and year allows me a lot more flexibility when I'm organizing the pages into photobooks. If I had exact dates, it would bother me not to have them in exact chronological order, LOL! This lets me move single pages after 2-pagers even if the single page happened first, pair 2 single page layouts that look good together even if there are supposed to be a few pages in between them, etc. For things where the exact day does matter, like a birthday, I include it. I also include it on Project Life pages. When I'm pulling my photobook together, I add a number before each layout so that they sort in the order I want them to appear in the book.
This makes a lot of sense! I don't think I ever thought of it that way, and it would help with moving layouts around to fit double layouts. But I am not a person who likes change...so not sure I could do it! But it is something to think about!
Old 10-25-2021, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
So very true. I was organizing pages and noticed I had the wrong year on a couple of pages but the joining pages (same event) had the right now. I too will move pages if a double pager gets in the way.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always date my pages - either in the journaling, a tab, tag or one of Cindy's layered date tags.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I always date my layouts. And I always journal on them. For me the story behind the photos is very important.