Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie
Default Homeschoolies... talk to me...

I'm just weighing some options here... I don't really want to get into my motivation behind it though. Thx.

SO, tell me, where would a person start? How do you do it!? Stay organized, keep them interested, teach 2 kids at different levels... oh goodness... I could go on and on.... um... socialization (although, the YMCA near us has tons of homeschooling-only brackets for like open gym and swimming and such)... hmm... it's daunting! So just lay it on me.

Mostly... where would I start if I chose this path?

Thanks y'all <3
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I only homeschooled my oldest for first grade. I originally wanted her class switched and the school couldn't do it. So, the principal gave me a list of charter schools in the area.

Maybe you could call around to the principals in your area and ask if there is any near you. I had a few to choose from.

Through the charter school, I got to pick out all of the curriculum. I also signed my dd up for art classes and gymnastics (as pe) through them.

Good luck with it! It can be a great thing if it works for you all.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Yeah, I looked into it. Thanks though.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

First, I would go to www.hslda.org and find out the laws in your city/state. That's the first place I'd go because laws are so different between states (those that require so much, and those that require little to nothing). It may sway you one way or another.

Second, pray. It's a HUGE HUGE decision to homeschool, and you need to make sure you're doing it for the RIGHT reasons.

Get together with folks locally. Check in at the library (during the day - you'll see lots of homeschool folks.) They may have homeschool groups, announcements, etc. Do an internet search for HS groups in your area. It's great to talk to people in your area already doing this, look at what they do, peek at their curriculum, etc.

IMNTBHO, socialization is WAY over rated. If you're out and about, engaging your children with everyone in society, getting together with friends for playdates/coops or just field trips, and you aren't keeping your kids tied to the kitchen table for 10 hrs a day then making them do farm chores for another 12, you're good. If you're out and active, you're socializing in a far wider range than kids who are in PS and only socializing with their peers.

The next thing I would suggest is get reading. There are so many schools of thought. You have to look at how your kids learn and how you learn/teach. You are going to be the primary caretaker for both the physical needs and educational needs. Check out the internet, check out the local library, etc.

Here are some sites to get you started
Homeschooling

homeschool.com

homeschool-world

Well-Trained Mind

CHarlotte Mason

K-12

There are tons more...tons. I know I haven't covered even 1% of the great sites. And I hope other HS'ers chime in with good sites.

If you want to talk offline, feel free to PM or chat me up on yahoo - aslansavz