Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2023, 09:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Sharing more completed projects

Alright y'all, I have to share. In 2017 I had a bright idea, I must have been caught up on scrapping and thought I would start a book for each of my kids (I'm a chronological scrapper, everything in about 2 books a year now, unless it's a big trip, like Disney).

I thought I would do one page a month from birth through graduation of my favorite photos of them in a pocket page style. No journal, just photos. Simple enough, right? I got on a role, took a break, got more done during Covid, then in January, here we are and it's my daughter's Senior year and I've only done the first 10 years for her. LOL!

Well, I'm DONE! I still need to do the boys, I have a good chunk done of Cooper's and Harper I just plan to reuse Coop's pages and swap photos around.

It ended up being about 217 pages and of course she's the first, and only girl. There were a few months where we had no photos or just one or two, so I combine them and the last few months of school, we had a few extra pages to include all the cool things going on. She also isn't a memory keeper herself. So I wanted to record some things for her.

If you wanted to see, here you go. I also started trying to use one kit per page, that go old, real quick.

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4

She really shows no interest in my scrapbooks, but she was very excited about her scrapbooks, I love that she'll have her own little personal collection. And be sure you wait until the Shutterfly unlimited pages deal, I did for the first 3 books and this last one is so much more in comparison because I wanted to get it before her graduation party.

Last edited by nesser1981; 06-07-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think all four are beautiful. The way you did them is really effective to show off a lot of photos and the passage of time. I am a journaler, so I did miss that part, but the word art and cards you used told the story on each page about who she was at that point in time.

As I was going through them I thought if I were to do something similar, I would be tempted to use a journal card/spot on each place where my son could write his own memories that were envoked by the photos to really personalize it. I don't think I have near the photos to pull it off to the extent you have, but I have to be honest, I am tempted to try. LOL

Great albums and great inspiration!!
Old 06-06-2023, 09:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa, your books are AMAZING! Such a labor of love! I'm glad that she treasures them now and I bet she will treasure them more as the years fly by!! Thanks for sharing!!

(PS - I made a 10x10 a few years ago and made another a few weeks ago. It arrived quickly, but there were issues with some of the journaling being cut off (even tho it looked fine when I created the book). Shutterfly customer service was fantastic! I was able to order another book at no charge and received a gift card for $10 as well)
Old 06-06-2023, 09:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like the idea of leaving space for them to journal their own memories. I was tempted to include mine, but I knew it would totally slow me down and so many of these photos are in our regular family scrapbooks with the whole story, they can refer back to those for the big picture, these are just little snippets for them.

When I started it, I also never thought it would take me the better part of 6 years to finish it. LOL!

When she was a baby and I still have about 6, photo albums with printed pictures, but that go old, real fast! And the amount of space they took up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I think all four are beautiful. The way you did them is really effective to show off a lot of photos and the passage of time. I am a journaler, so I did miss that part, but the word art and cards you used told the story on each page about who she was at that point in time.

As I was going through them I thought if I were to do something similar, I would be tempted to use a journal card/spot on each place where my son could write his own memories that were envoked by the photos to really personalize it. I don't think I have near the photos to pull it off to the extent you have, but I have to be honest, I am tempted to try. LOL
Old 06-06-2023, 10:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you! I think she was surprised at how much she liked them.

Yes, I haven't use them in years, we had an issue with another project that was for graduation, but they sent a replacement right away with no issues. They have great customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Vanessa, your books are AMAZING! Such a labor of love! I'm glad that she treasures them now and I bet she will treasure them more as the years fly by!! Thanks for sharing!!

(PS - I made a 10x10 a few years ago and made another a few weeks ago. It arrived quickly, but there were issues with some of the journaling being cut off (even tho it looked fine when I created the book). Shutterfly customer service was fantastic! I was able to order another book at no charge and received a gift card for $10 as well)
Old 06-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These are great!!!!! They remind me of a modern photo album with bonus decor items!
Old 06-06-2023, 11:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
These are great!!!!! They remind me of a modern photo album with bonus decor items!
Pretty much what I was going for.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These are awesome!
Old 06-06-2023, 01:17 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Those are very nice!

Although I will admit I like volume 4 the best with the outside edge of the background paper showing on every page. And, I love how you used the same paper on facing pages. That always makes things flow nicely in books.

No matter where I print a layout (Persnickety Prints or Shutterfly book), I always make sure my journaling is no where near the edge of the page. Photos also. I don't mind if elements might get cut off though.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Awesome books! I'm glad she is interested/happy about those. Later in life, she'll probably be thankful for all the other scrapbooks you've created. Great job!
Old 06-06-2023, 01:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That is an adjustment I've made this past year for my own printing, you would have thought after all these years, I would have done it sooner. I've started adding a quarter inch border to my templates before I even scrap them, so anything on the edges is moved in a quarter in and then I still had another little border once I'm done, sometimes I'll have a little small white border around the edge, but I'm having less things cut off and lost in the gutter of the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Those are very nice!

Although I will admit I like volume 4 the best with the outside edge of the background paper showing on every page. And, I love how you used the same paper on facing pages. That always makes things flow nicely in books.

No matter where I print a layout (Persnickety Prints or Shutterfly book), I always make sure my journaling is no where near the edge of the page. Photos also. I don't mind if elements might get cut off though.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They look amazing! Wonderful job! I have done school books for each of the girls, starting at Kindergarten and ending at High School graduation. They have been fun (and I have reused certain pages just switching out photos and changing things out a little bit).
Old 06-06-2023, 08:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love this!
Old 06-06-2023, 08:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i'm always so impressed (and a little envious) of the memories you are giving to your kids with all of these books
Old 06-07-2023, 07:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone!

Once we get through the summer, I'm hoping to catch up on some of the rest of my scrapping so I can dive into Cooper's. I do not want to wait 3 years until he's in his Senior year to be scrambling to finish his. LOL!
Old 06-07-2023, 08:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love this idea and your books are wonderful!
Ah man...are you inspiring me to do these for my kids too??!!
Old 06-07-2023, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
i'm always so impressed (and a little envious) of the memories you are giving to your kids with all of these books
Feeling the same! This is wonderful, what amazing memories books!
Old 06-07-2023, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow these are so cool! Super impressed and debating doing something similar- but honestly- I'm kinda scared to jump in!
Old 06-07-2023, 02:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

WOW!!! These are all amazing and so so beautiful!!!!! Love the idea of volumes! I squished it all into one 11x14 or 11x11, 110 page book for my kiddos! It was so hard to narrow down photos!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 06-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

These are awesome! The other day my son told me he pulls out the books I make and looks at them. I had no idea.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone!

I'd say if you're debating on doing something like this, do it! I honestly think it could be done even more basic and have the same effect. I think just the photos, the grid and all white would work as a simple photobook too, halfway through this, I honestly thought about that. LOL!

I just got notice volume 4 shipped. Feels good to have it in the bag!