Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 05:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What are your best Road Trip tips?

At the end of the month, my husband and I are heading off on the longest road trip of our life together. We’re driving 2,000 miles from DFW, Texas to Kennebunkport, Maine to spend a week with friends. It’s just the two of us, no kids, no pets, and we’re driving my Prius (50mpg, baby!).

I would love to hear all your best Road Trip tips and tricks and hacks. Whether it’s in the planning, or packing, or while you’re on the road, what advice can you share about taking a road trip?

Old 06-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

2 coolers helped us...one we opened a lot with drinks and one to keep food cold. We packed snacks, sandwich stuff (rolls did better than bread), grapes, carrots, other veggies, prepackaged crackers and snacks. When just hubby and I we found a fun audio book to listen too or you can do a fun podcast. We love Dear Bob and Sue or crime podcasts. Download your maps.
I would use the road trips app to find fun pit stop places along your route.
We used suitcases but crates/totes are nice for snacks and such.

Have a first aid box (bandaids, meds (tylenol, nausea etc), creams, scissors, rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, alcohol pads etc). Also a small tool kit (hammer, screw drivers wrench, duct tape etc)
Extra toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes....You never know!
A small gas can (just in case)
Flashlights with extra batteries
Small handheld broom/dust pan
Small camping fan (our ac went out on the SUV we had and no way to get a new one or fix so the fan helped a lot.)
Our longest road trip was over 5000 miles and 2 weeks with a lot of camping and hotels.

You may have room in the car for the two of you after all this LOL
Old 06-08-2023, 08:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my! That is quite a road trip - what a blast it will be!!

We did a major road trip last year ... we packed two coolers as well that included plenty of water and snacks.

Kimberly has a lot of great tips - the only one I would add is to be sure you have your phone charger(s) handy - we ran out of battery as we traveled.

We had a VRBO booked in a few towns along the way, which in retrospect, I would not recommend - obviously, we HAD to stay where we'd booked, but it would have been less hassle and less stressful to just have stopped when we felt like it.

Oh, and I always had my camera near me - snapping photos along the way.

Have a safe and wonderful trip! I bet you will have tons of photos to scrap when you get back home!!
Old 06-08-2023, 08:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How fun! My only advice is to make sure you have clear expectations for each person when the other is driving. Our biggest fight on our epic road trip was that I wanted to listen to audiobooks on my headphones while Joel was driving, but he wanted me to be available 24/7 when he wanted to say something to me. It's stupid, I know, but once we talked through that the next time we travelled together and came to a compromise, we were great.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hear you on that Kellie! We love to do road trips and will sometimes when it is just the two of us have nothing playing just quiet or talking. My hubby is a planner and hates to stop so establish that if you are stopping and how long for detours. My MIL would joke that bathroom stops were only when we needed gas and it was jump out and run no slowing down....hurry back to the "bus" before it leaves you. We eat our meals in the car (sandwiches, cheese, nuts, fruit etc) and save our stops for gas/bathroom/touristy stuff.
We kept a power strip in our car to plug into an AV switch to plug up multiple things. Extra USB cords and bricks to charge phones.

BTW Kennebunkport is amazing! We stayed in a little place by the water 10+ years ago for a 10 year anniversary trip. Enjoy the trip!! We want to do another road trip up there in the fall months.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:48 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
It’s just the two of us, no kids, no pets
pretty sure you got the best tip already lol

I love road trips! It's really the only type of vacations my husband and I have had together but I really do love them I wish I could do more. Our last trip was the summer before covid. I'm so glad we did the going the sun road/glacier national park before the world turned upside down
Old 06-09-2023, 02:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son and I did a road trip a few years back, just the two of us and he was young. The thing that helped me the most was we found podcasts to listen to together. The time flew by listening and gave us stuff to discuss. I never stopped after, they help me drive without getting bored.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My tip: don't buy a new water bottle that won't fit in your cup holder! (I just ordered a cup holder expander last night!)
Old 06-13-2023, 08:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

y'all i'm clearly losing my mind because 1) i've commented in this thread 2) i read this title just now as what are your best roast beef tips and I was about to talk about using the instant pot. there's clearly something wrong with me lol.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:02 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

We always pick out audio books that we would both like to listen to and then we have the fun of sharing a good read on our way!

Last edited by Scrapcrazy; 06-14-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
y'all i'm clearly losing my mind because 1) i've commented in this thread 2) i read this title just now as what are your best roast beef tips and I was about to talk about using the instant pot. there's clearly something wrong with me lol.
Hahhaa - that brain fog of yours is real!!!

The only thing I have to add is make sure to discuss ahead of time if it's a 'Get there as fast as you can' kind of road trip, or a meandering 'enjoy the ride' trip, where little unexpected stops in small towns along the way adds to the trip. Hubby always wants to go-go-go and get there as fast as possible, I like to stop in the little towns and see what's there lol

Old 06-14-2023, 11:29 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

My advice was going to be leave your kids at home, but I see you're already doing that
Old 06-14-2023, 11:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ladies, you are the BEST - thank you for coming through for me with such awesome advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
2 coolers helped us...one we opened a lot with drinks and one to keep food cold. <snip>
Kimberly, these are fantastic tips - thank you so much! I'm definitely planning on bringing two coolers, and I love that we can pack in open crates and totes. So much easier than flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Kimberly has a lot of great tips - the only one I would add is to be sure you have your phone charger(s) handy - we ran out of battery as we traveled.
Jill, with your advice in mind, I actually purchased two console/cupholder extenders with an opening on the bottom so you can feed in a phone charger. It'll keep it all nice and organized and right at our fingertips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
We had a VRBO booked in a few towns along the way, which in retrospect, I would not recommend - obviously, we HAD to stay where we'd booked, but it would have been less hassle and less stressful to just have stopped when we felt like it.
Yeah, this is something I've been wrestling with - whether to pre-book hotel rooms for our overnights or just grab something whenever we decide we're ready to stop. The one time I tried that, though, we wound up sleeping in our car in a Walmart parking lot because all the hotels for 50 miles were fully booked - some kind of convention - and we were stuck. Not the worst thing in the world, car camping, but not the most comfortable night of sleep either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
How fun! My only advice is to make sure you have clear expectations for each person when the other is driving. Our biggest fight on our epic road trip was that I wanted to listen to audiobooks on my headphones while Joel was driving, but he wanted me to be available 24/7 when he wanted to say something to me.
Kellie, I couldn't stop laughing when I read this, because I'VE BEEN THERE. Not with my husband, but with my best friend when we did our first road trip together. She got more than a little frustrated with me when I slept almost the entire time I wasn't the one driving. She expected I'd be awake and talking with her to keep her alert - LOL!

Quote:
I love road trips! It's really the only type of vacations my husband and I have had together but I really do love them I wish I could do more.
Road trips were the only vacations my family ever went on when I was a child. Lots of drives up and down I-95 from Virginia to upstate New York or Virginia to Miami to visit family on alternating summers. If this trip goes well, I expect my husband and I will do more in the coming years. Since he works remotely, we can travel on weekends and let him work during the week, requiring fewer vacation days for trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My son and I did a road trip a few years back, just the two of us and he was young. The thing that helped me the most was we found podcasts to listen to together. The time flew by listening and gave us stuff to discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapcrazy View Post
We always pick out audio books that we would both like to listen to and then we have the fun of sharing a good read on our way!
I'm hoping I can convince my husband to listen to an audiobook with me along the way. He's a political junkie and we've listened to numerous political podcasts on long drives, but I'd rather listen to something entertaining rather than something that will get him frustrated and angry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
My tip: don't buy a new water bottle that won't fit in your cup holder! (I just ordered a cup holder expander last night!)
Oh no!!! I'm definitely going to test my tumblers and water bottles to make sure they fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
The only thing I have to add is make sure to discuss ahead of time if it's a 'Get there as fast as you can' kind of road trip, or a meandering 'enjoy the ride' trip, where little unexpected stops in small towns along the way adds to the trip. Hubby always wants to go-go-go and get there as fast as possible, I like to stop in the little towns and see what's there lol
Trina, your advice is super timely as my husband and I just had that very conversation! We compromised: I've agreed we can do the "get there as fast as you can" thing on the way home (trying to do it in 2 segments of 14 hour days with us spelling each other every few hours behind the wheel) and he's agreed we can break up the drive there into 4 days so we can stop and see stuff along the way.

----------

Ladies, you are AWESOME! Thank you for sharing your advice with me. I'm getting super excited about our trip!

Old 06-14-2023, 11:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Mmmmm ......... roast beef .................

Kristin, brain fog is the worst - but it does lead to some funny stories, for sure! #fibrofog #longcovid #chronicfatigue #ilaughsoidontcry

Old 06-14-2023, 11:51 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
HAHA I think I am delirious over here because everything is making me giggle out loud today. Adriaan keeps looking over at me like I'm crazy.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Roadside America is a great app for all those dumb roadside attractions! haha We had a blast stopping at all the Muffler Men we found on our way to Galveston from WI. Lots and lots of snacks...
Old 06-14-2023, 07:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Roadside America is a great app for all those dumb roadside attractions! haha We had a blast stopping at all the Muffler Men we found on our way to Galveston from WI.
I've not heard of this app before - I'm going to download it now! I'm using Roadtrippers to plan out our drive; Roadside America sounds like it would be a great tool to pair with it. Thank you!