Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-08-2023, 07:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Brain Fog in your 40s

Is anyone else struggling (BAD) with focus and concentration? Have you found any way to combat it if so? I've been struggling for what feels like an eternity and trying to do what I can (I pretty much left social media etc) but I still feel like nothing is working.. I'm at a complete loss on what else to try so I thought maybe I'd ask here.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just wait until your 50s! Just kidding. If it is that bad, then maybe you should talk with your doctor. They might be able to recommend a good supplement or some brain exercises to help you focus. And maybe check to make sure it is not something more serious.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Just wait until your 50s! Just kidding. If it is that bad, then maybe you should talk with your doctor. They might be able to recommend a good supplement or some brain exercises to help you focus. And maybe check to make sure it is not something more serious.
I had my bloodwork done a couple months ago.. I was hoping she'd be checking my hormones but she didn't. It was a naturopath since I don't currently have a dr and it was expensive and I don't want to go back LOL. I did find out my iron was low.. having trouble taking the supplement though as it makes me nauseous :/
Old 06-08-2023, 07:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I overcame it by having spinal surgery last year. Seriously though, I was amazed at how much of my brain fog was caused by the cervial stenosis. I do still struggle with it some because of fibromyalgia, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before surgery.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I had my bloodwork done a couple months ago.. I was hoping she'd be checking my hormones but she didn't. It was a naturopath since I don't currently have a dr and it was expensive and I don't want to go back LOL. I did find out my iron was low.. having trouble taking the supplement though as it makes me nauseous :/
Do y'all have Floridix in Canada? It's a liquid. It's the only iron I can take that doesn't make me hurl.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That's good it helped your brain fog! Was that something you knew could be improved for you when you had your surgery?

I'll try out the floridix.. I've never heard of this but it does look as though it's available up here... this?
Old 06-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really struggled with brain fog for most of my thirties, but I think that was caused by parenting small children. As my kids have gotten bigger and require less of me, I find that I'm capable of so much more than I was before. I've cut back on sugar, and that's made me more productive. I am really unhelpful because I know your kids are as big as mine, so I'm sorry that wasn't your magic cure, and you're probably not a sugar addict. I hope you find something.

A decade ago, I took a complex B Vitamin supplement that helped so much. I couldn't get it overseas, so I stopped taking it, but I have read that most people can benefit from taking one.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yup I'd say up your iron. Then maybe try magnesium and Vit-B too. Possibly you're having perimenopause symptoms and brain fog is a big one.

I was going thru some of the symptoms early last year (45yrs) and I was researching vitamins I possibly needed. I was also having lots of joint pain which is another symptom.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I did find out my iron was low.. having trouble taking the supplement though as it makes me nauseous :/
I hope you're able to figure out what's causing the brain fog and lessen it! I have another iron recommendation--here's the one I take. I get severe anemia when I don't take anything, but a lot of the supplements don't agree with me (not nausea, but other GI problems). One caveat--depending on how anemic you are, this could be a higher dosage than your doctor recommends.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMDYMLS...efix=iron&th=1
Old 06-08-2023, 11:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can't remember if my low iron caused brain fog (I can't remember alot of stuff these days) but the only way I could get my iron back up was an infusion, direct into my bloodstream, by a haematologist (supplements did nothing). Nine years on my iron has dropped a bit but my levels are still out of the danger zone.

I felt a bit nauseous after the transfusion but that quickly passed.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That's good it helped your brain fog! Was that something you knew could be improved for you when you had your surgery?

I'll try out the floridix.. I've never heard of this but it does look as though it's available up here... this?
Yep that's it! I mix it with a little juice to make it more palatable, but it's really not too bad.

And no, I had no idea! I had read that it *might* help some patients, but I had been told for years that most of my brain fog was due to the fibro, so I really didn't have high hopes. It was a nice surprise for sure!

Old 06-09-2023, 12:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I get brain fog or feel sluggish, I know that my iron is low and I prepare a dinner of calf liver (also known as veal liver). Many people say they hate it but even my skeptical husband loves it the way I prepare it. Soak the calf liver in milk for about 10-15 minutes. In the meantime chop up a strip or two of bacon, some onion and green pepper. Cook the bacon until it renders some fat, add the onion and green pepper. Discard the milk and cut the calf liver into bite-size pieces and add it to the pan. It only takes a few minutes to cook so make sure not to over-cook it. I like to serve it up with mashed potatoes. After one of these meals my brain fog just seems to lift and it's a healthy alternative to supplements. Hope this helps!

Old 06-09-2023, 12:50 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I've started getting brain fog when I caught covid the first time a couple of years ago and did not recover for so many months. A few weeks ago, I caught covid the second time and the brain fog came with it again. Blah...
I am trying to fight out of it, as it does me no good, all I want to do is laying on the bed & do nothing.

And I am not even 40 yet...
Old 06-09-2023, 12:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh I just remembered it also gets worse for me when my B12 is low. I can't process it orally, so I have to give myself injections every 2 weeks, and when I forget to do it I can definitely tell after a while.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:22 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I ordered the floradix and hopefully that will help. I have tried to start incorporating a bit more red meat into my diet but it's a struggle, just not a fan lol.

I take a magnesium supplement and was taking a b12 but started forgetting that one (shocking lol)
Old 06-09-2023, 10:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

When my thyroid numbers are off, I have a lot of trouble concentrating, so perhaps that is another avenue to explore.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:39 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
When my thyroid numbers are off, I have a lot of trouble concentrating, so perhaps that is another avenue to explore.
That was another thing the dr did check. They were a little off so she did increase my synthroid dose a little! I don't know if it's made much difference..ahhh LOL.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have horrible brain fog because of my diabetes, and it got so much worse after Covid. I don’t know what COVID did to my brain, but I haven’t been the same since I was sick. My doctor told me a lot of people have brain fog from Covid; and I have some other long-haulers issues too including a slight heart murmur now. It’s frustrating.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Didn't you think you had ADHD, too? That actually could be more of your issues. I have heard of lots of people who were left with brain fog issues after Covid, too.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I think anemia is the reason for most of my brain fog. I also get nauseated from most iron supplements, but not Floradix. Search for it on Amazon. I take it 2-3 times a week and it works wonders. I can take it any time and NO nausea!

I've also heard parasites can cause major brain fog. Maybe try researching a parasite cleanse?

ETA: Just read through the thread and saw that Floradix was suggested!

Last edited by YepBrook; 06-12-2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've also started taking Beef Liver supplements which has helped.

But seriously... look into parasites. SO many of them cause issues we often mistakenly think are from other causes. Some people will also experience worse symptoms during a full moon (depends on the parasite). I know it's one of those things "crazy" women do who can't for the life of them figure out what's wrong with their bodies and it clears it up for them. I don't have experience with it, but my friend does.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My brain fog is leftover from all the chemo and radiation. Due to neuropathy I am on Lyrica which also apparently can also add to it.

I would try the iron supplements as has been suggested.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, Kristin! You know what else i remembered that has given me so much more clarity and energy?

Intermittent fasting!

I started about six months ago, and I was amazed at the difference it made in the way I felt. I started subbing while we were in the States, and it was really hard for me to work all day and then come home and function as an adult. Once I started practicing intermittent fasting, though, I stopped landing on the couch when I got home and was able to accomplish stuff with a clear head. I don't know how limiting the hours I eat can impact the way my brain works, but it does. I've learned a lot from watching Dr. Mindy Pelz, but even a basic 15 hour fast (eating 9 hours a day) can improve your health.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:32 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Oh, Kristin! You know what else i remembered that has given me so much more clarity and energy?

Intermittent fasting!

I started about six months ago, and I was amazed at the difference it made in the way I felt. I started subbing while we were in the States, and it was really hard for me to work all day and then come home and function as an adult. Once I started practicing intermittent fasting, though, I stopped landing on the couch when I got home and was able to accomplish stuff with a clear head. I don't know how limiting the hours I eat can impact the way my brain works, but it does. I've learned a lot from watching Dr. Mindy Pelz, but even a basic 15 hour fast (eating 9 hours a day) can improve your health.
Really! I just started intermittent fasting. I am only on day 5 but I haven't noticed a lot of difference. Maybe it will come. I am also supposed to be starting B12 and D with K2 but I don't have those yet! Here is hoping! I need serious help with brain fog and low energy!
Old 06-13-2023, 03:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will look into everything and give it a go I got the floradix delivered so will try that today.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wait, yours started when you hit 40? Mine started when I had my first kid! I couldn't remember what a table was called. I was trying to describe it to my husband, "It's flat, has legs, you put things on it?" It has just gotten worse with each child. I'm at a point I just give up on words and let my family figure out what I am trying to say. I figure with as bad as it is, I may develop dementia when I am older. What better reason to scrap those memories.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mine is bad... but I blame my thyroid and hormones - which I'm on meds for. There is an app, "Brain Tap" that can help... I tried it at my naturopath and I haven't jumped at getting the app. You can get the head gear for it, but it's really expensive. yikes. NP's nurse said many people have the same results from just doing the app.