Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988
Default NSBR: Florida Real Estate?

I know we have some awesome ladies on here that are from the state of Florida and I am potentially in the market in the next 3-5 years looking to purchase a beach/vacation home in Florida. I prefer the Gulf side but have no objections to the Atlantic side should the perfect home arise. So, my questions for all the Florida resident ladies, where would you suggest me looking into real estate to potentially purchase in the next few years. I have crossed out Panama City Beach as it's too crowded and overrun by wild teenagers at most times. I have a fond love for Destin/Miramar Beach as we have vacationed there most my life but want to expand my horizons and see what it potentially out there in your areas or where you love visiting the beach at? It doesn't necessarily have to be beach/ocean front but relatively close, maybe even walking distance to the beach. I plan to make this my home/vacation home in the next 5-10 years. Please if you wouldn't mind sharing some awesome places for me to consider that you love.

TIA

Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If you are looking for a house then I would recommend Melborne area. My in-laws have friends that live there and have been looking at the prices there versus over here in the Tampa/Clearwater area and it is much more affordable.

However, if you are looking for a condo then I would recommend looking for something in the Sand Key, Indian Rocks, Maderia Beach area over here West of Tampa. There are lots of condos for sale that are on the intercoastal waterway and then you just walk across the road (literally less than two block walk) to go to the beach. We have friends that just bought a condo in Indian Rocks and they've been able to rent it out all winter to one couple. Our friends come down from Washington DC (like this weekend) to use it when it's not rented. It's going to be their retirement place in 20 years.

I would also consider if you are going to live here full time versus part time and renting out the rest of the time. Either way you'll want easy access to shopping and restaurants. Having access to an aiport near by would be good too! If you like little sleepy beach towns then Cedar Key (about 2 hours north of the Tampa Area, right under where Florida bends on the Gulf Side) would be a nice place to check out as well.

There are a lot of options on the West Coast of Florida - Ft. Myers area north is still developing. I think you need to take a trip down here and drive the coast. Let me know when you're near Tampa/Orlando. We have a great group of girls that get together regularly and we'll be happy to show you around.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My suggestion would be to stalk beach vacation hones/condos on Home Away or VRBO to get a feel for what's available in Florida and what the homes are like in that area. There are just SO many possibilities, it's overwhelming! I'm partial to East Coast beaches, but it's more expensive here in the area around Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. But it's nice being driving distance to Miami Beach, the Florida Keys, and the Everglades.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I greatly prefer the Gulf side of Florida myself...

I second the locations Juli mentioned as well, especially Sand Key. I looked into a condo there myself, but I wanted to live someplace more walkable. You need a car or a bike to get around in most of the coastal towns just South of Clearwater Beach (Sand Key, Belleair, Indian Rocks, Redington, Madeira). It's because of the shape of the island - very long and very narrow. You'll also have to go onto the mainland to get things like major groceries, etc.

I'd also recommend smaller towns North of Clearwater Beach like Dunedin and Tarpon Springs. I'd avoid Clearwater Beach, though, as it's the most popular tourist beach in this area and most of the locals avoid it, too. Dunedin is a great town and they have only low and midise condos on the Gulf. The beaches are clean and rarely busy. I used to live in Dunedin and would go out to Honeymoon Island and because there are so few people, I'd feel like it was my own private beach.

The Tampa area is definitely more expensive than some other markets in Florida, but it's also extremely popular and most locations you'll be able to rent when you're not here. Places like Ft. Myers will likely give you the same results as far as rental options, too. I also love the beaches around Sarasota, but I'm not as familiar with their real estate market. Anna Maria Island is one of my favorite places in Florida and I like to drive down there just to get away. It gets EXTREMELY busy during the Winter, though, as do most places here on the Gulf Coast.

The Island communities will become overrun with snow birds and tourists from about October-April. This also greatly impacts the surrounding mainland cities and traffic becomes a bit insane. This may not matter as much to you, but it drives me bonkers. lol

The further South into Florida you go, the worse the weather will be in the Summer months. I, personally, wouldn't live much further South than where I am (Clearwater) for that reason, but plenty of people do.

I think it comes down to your personal lifestyle and the things you like to do on a day-to-day basis and what you'd like to do with the property when you're not here. You will find something that suits you, though. There is something for everyone here.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Awesome! Thank you Ladies for all the great advice! I still have time to do a lot researching until I have saved what I would like to use as a nice down payment on a place, just wanting to get advice on some great places. You have no idea how much I appreciate all the info and advice! I will be looking into all the places and deciding what's important and what I would prefer in a place.

Juli, thanks for the invite! I will definitely let you know when I am in the area! My family is actually coming to Orlando at the end of July for a family vacation and going to Disney, which will be my first trip ever so I am excited! I will let you all know when I am expected to be in the area and maybe we can plan something! I would love to get together with you all!

Old 05-25-2015, 02:39 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ponce Inlet hands down. I love that area and if I could afford to would relocate from Orlando to Ponce Inlet. Outside there Melbourne is nice. St. Augustine is another place Id go in a heart beat.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh, yes, I agree with Jessica! It's absolutely beautiful there.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We will be in the same boat soon but ours will be a forever retirement home and our big catch is we will have a son late Jr high or high school, so great school system will be a must too ...I am lost looking as most systems seem to be below par
Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just saw this today and thought you might like it! My town is #2. Pretty cool.
https://local.niche.com/rankings/tow...wns/s/florida/

Old 05-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh thanks a bunch for that Brooke! Puts things into perspective!