Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Another New Mac User Question: Browsers?

On my PC, I used FF for the most part, some Chrome and some Safari. The only issues I ever had were with FF, and I think that's pretty standard from what I understand.

Now on my Mac, Safari is the "main" browser and I love the Top Sites. But I do not like the way you can't choose where you save your downloads (I like to pick individual folders depending on what I'm downloading (scrapbook designers, etc.)).

So I installed FireFox and wanted to add the FoxTabs (similar to Top Sites). But I cannot get this add-on to work and my keyboard typing is lagging in FF only. It's kinda driving me nuts.

Is this a FF issue? Is it a FF/Mac compatibility issue? Is it me? lol

What browser do you use and what do you love/hate most about it?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I loved FF on my PC but hated it on my Mac. It was so buggy and just never worked right, plus it was a major major resource hog. I started using Safari instead and once I got used to it it's been fine. That was almost 4 years later and I still really like it. I'd say the turning point for me was finding an extension that would undo closed tabs because I used that all the time in FF.

For me the best Safari feature is it automatically unzips and deletes the download files when you save them to the Downloads folder. Saves me SO much time and I just drag the unzipped folders into their correct place.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

cmd z undoes your last closed tab automatically I believe. I use Safari too..
Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
cmd z undoes your last closed tab automatically I believe. I use Safari too..
I think it was added with Safari 5 but at the time (2008), it wasn't a feature. I have an extension that added the undo close tab shortcut as Cmd+z as well as some other tab related features I missed.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:45 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I feel the same way about Safari as I do about my Mac. I love it but I can't really tell you why specifically. I've been on a Mac for soooooo long that I can't even tell you how it's different from a PC anymore. And, I've been using Safari ever since it came out, so I can't tell you the pros/cons in relation to any other browser. I just know I like it. So, I'm not helpful at all, I'm just spreading the Mac/Safari love.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Okay...maybe I'm dumb, but I think I just figured out how to download a file and save it wherever I want!

Do I right-click and select "download linked file as"?
This gives me the option of saving it wherever I want to!! If I'm right, this will make me so happy and I will uninstall FF!!

Guess what else???

I asked when I first got my Mac, about Microsoft Office. Well I just went back in some of my School Division emails and found a link/code in there to purchase MS Office 2011 for Mac for $11.00 (ELEVEN)!!! Woooot for me!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Okay...maybe I'm dumb, but I think I just figured out how to download a file and save it wherever I want!

Do I right-click and select "download linked file as"?
This gives me the option of saving it wherever I want to!! If I'm right, this will make me so happy and I will uninstall FF!!

Guess what else???

I asked when I first got my Mac, about Microsoft Office. Well I just went back in some of my School Division emails and found a link/code in there to purchase MS Office 2011 for Mac for $11.00 (ELEVEN)!!! Woooot for me!!!
Yes - you can always right click and tell it where to save your file. I'm glad you're happy!