Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you like amusement parks?

With summer here, amusement park season is in full swing. I'm curious how people feel about them.

- Do you go to amusement parks and which is your favorite?
- Do you go for you, for the kids, or both?
- Do you like thrill rides (roller coasters, spinny rides, etc)?
- What's your absolute favorite ride? Most hated?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't. I don't like rollercoasters & think it's ridiculous, in general, to pay that much money for admission to an amusement park. I would make an exception so that we could take our kids to Disney World or Legoland but it would more than likely be a one time thing. It's not that I'm afraid of heights, either, because I'm not; just the whole waiting for 2 hours to be thrashed and thrown around for 2 minutes thing does not appeal to me.

I love county/state fairs, however, since they are full of spinny/nonollercoaster rides & cost 10x less than an amusement park. My daughter is finally tall enough & old enough to ride the rides with me so that's what we're doing this summer as part of her (August) birthday celebration. I can't wait!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like them but i struggle with the cost as well. Every year for DH's summer work party, they rent out the closest amusement park (Lagoon) and we spend the evening there. It's awesome & fun. We all look forward to it but I'd never buy season passes. It's just far enough to be too far to go all the time, you know?

And our city fairs are outrageously expensive! $1/ticket & each ride requires 4-5+ tickets. Add 2-3 kids that each want to ride all the rides and you might as well go to Lagoon...it's similar in price.

So while I love them and my family loves them, we don't go often. And I love roller-coasters and swings. I HATE the ones that put you upside down and thrash you around.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love DisneyWorld - insanely priced, but we had the best vacation! We are about 3 hours from Great America and I hope never to have to go... I hate most rides (I'm too fat to ride them)... and there is no one else for Jake to go with.

County Fairs rides are really expensive around me... it's like $5-7 per ride.

loveyou
Old 06-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I like amusement parks. We're Disneyland Paris annual pass holders and we're going to Walt Disney World in september.
I always loved Disney, since I was a little kid. And my daughter loves it too, so we're going for the whole family.
Although my favorite ride is Big Thunder Mountain, I'm not much of a fan of the thrill rides, and everything that spins, makes me turn green in a matter of seconds. The thing I love the most is the sphere and the interaction with characters.
I really hated Splash Mountain. I rode it, but the rattling sound of that coaster going up en plunging down... I hated it. I am the biggest wus ever!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I feel super lucky (but also maybe a little spoiled ) because we live just north of Orlando, which is like the theme park capital of the world. Its pretty standard here to have annual passes to some theme park, and over the years we've done Universal, Seaworld, and Disney. Also, we almost can always find someone to hook us up with free tickets. We LOVE Disney, and ever since our passes expired over 2 years ago we have been yearning to go back. It is pricey, especially for passes, but we love it so much and go a lot so its totally worth it. Our kids love it, we love it, so it is some awesome family time. Hubby and I love roller coasters and thrill rides, kids not so much. But Disney really does have something for everybody.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I like going to amusement parks! Growing up I lived very close to a park called Ocean Park and it's an amusement park-slash-sea world type of thing. Over the years they've added more animals like pandas. <3 It was fun.

We've just been to Disneyland and Legoland in May. It's our kids' second time so they knew the drill. I was surprised how much they loved roller coasters and thrill rides, considering how much I hate them. My boy (5yo) went on the Hippogriff ride in Universal for a total of 8 times. My husband (who went on with him) was so sick afterwards. My boy went straight for the Jurassic ride twice after that. :-o

Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I loved Disney and Universal but would not go to a 'regular' amusement park. I live about 3 hours from Cedar Point and I have never been, lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

YEEEEESSSSS!!! Love, love, love amusement parks!

I will go on anything whether it spins, flips, goes fast, slow, whatever. I don't get sick on anything.

If I'm going with adults I do like Six Flags. They have the more thrilling rides.
If I'm taking my kids then I prefer Disney. There's a little something for everyone. My girlfriends and I do Disney without kids, too, which is ah-mazing!

Old 06-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love amusement parks but also struggle with the high price for the limited time/ability to ride due to lines.

- Do you go to amusement parks and which is your favorite? We use to do vacations around the amusement parks - our favorite would be Cedar Point OH.
- Do you go for you, for the kids, or both? Both, now though we go for the grandkids. I have 2 little daredevils grandgirls that love the coasters
- Do you like thrill rides (roller coasters, spinny rides, etc)? I personally only love the coasters but the grandgirls love all of them
- What's your absolute favorite ride? Most hated? Favorites is the coasters and I would say the hated is the ones you stand up in and go around in circle with you glued to the wall
Old 06-06-2017, 07:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't think amusement parks are such a big thing here as they are in the US - they're pretty few and far between, except on the Gold Coast in Queensland. We have a Wet n' Wild in Sydney and something else called Luna Park, and then the annual 'shows' (fairs) with rides. Everything is expensive, they're so crowded and the queues for rides are often ridiculous. We've taken the kids to the small, local show in the past (not Sydney's big Royal Easter Show) but they haven't 'loved' them so we don't go anymore.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to really love them but I've grown quite weak in the upchuck department in my old age. Lol... I'm not afraid of rides but it takes me a long long time to recover after going on one before I can attempt another! But then again there's always shopping, characters to meet, other fun stuff to do while I calm down. :P

Since we're military and we have lived in various places throughout the US we've been fortunate enough to be able to go to a lot of different amusement parks. Now I'm too spoiled to be bothered with such "boring" events as state fairs. LOL!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I don't think amusement parks are such a big thing here as they are in the US - they're pretty few and far between, except on the Gold Coast in Queensland. We have a Wet n' Wild in Sydney and something else called Luna Park, and then the annual 'shows' (fairs) with rides. Everything is expensive, they're so crowded and the queues for rides are often ridiculous. We've taken the kids to the small, local show in the past (not Sydney's big Royal Easter Show) but they haven't 'loved' them so we don't go anymore.
Yeah, I like amusement parks but not a huge fan of "fairs" or carnivals. The rides always seem rickety too me, it's too expensive for what it is and it's too crowded. The only exception is our local county fair (which is smaller than our ridiculously crowded state fair). At the county fair, you can get a one-price wrist-band that lets you ride all the rides. My kids like all the small fun-house kinda things so we can get a good days entertainment for not too much $$ (and have a fried snickers bar or something. )
Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We love Disney but that's about it. We don't bother with other amusement parks. None of us like thrill rides (though moderate roller coasters are okay with some of us) or long lines for short rides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 10:47 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLee View Post
I like going to amusement parks! Growing up I lived very close to a park called Ocean Park and it's an amusement park-slash-sea world type of thing. Over the years they've added more animals like pandas. <3 It was fun.
We went to Ocean Park when we went to Hong Kong! It was awesome, except for the fact that there were just TOO many people in there!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I don't like amusement parks here, they are mostly either too old and not taken care well or overly expensive! Since they are so expensive, I'd choose Disneyland over them in a heartbeat.
My son and I love Disneyland, we've been to the ones in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Paris (only hubby and I).
Hubby is not a fan of those thrilling/scary rides, he gets sick so easily, but, he'd still go with us to have fun. My son, on the other hand, seems like he is not scared at all! Two days in Shanghai Disney and he was begging to not leave.
Hopefully, we'll be able to go to another one soon!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
We went to Ocean Park when we went to Hong Kong! It was awesome, except for the fact that there were just TOO many people in there!
That park's 10 minutes from where I grew up (I grew up in Aberdeen, on the south side of HK) and yes, it's gotten so crowded over the years. Heck, the entire HK has gotten way over crowded. But with a family pass I considered it like a backyard park and didn't stress about getting onto all the rides. If there was a line, I just skipped it! LOL.

I have been to the HK Disneyland too. On a weekday so it wasn't too crowded. I've heard that the Shanghai one gets really crowded and people jump lines and litter all over the place etc. I hope that wasn't the case when you were there!

Last edited by GraceLee; 06-06-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ow yeah.
We have an annual pass for disneyland pariscsince 2011. We like wdw and universal as well .but we live in the netherlands.
Always go with my two teenage boys.
This summer we are going to europapark in germany.
Tomorrow a day dlp.
We like the combination of attractions and shows and parades and characters.
My boys like rollercoasters.but i get headaches a lot so dont do them much.well just hanging around and taking photos is fine with me.
I hated the simpsonride in universal studios.got motionsick in it
Old 06-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOVE!!! We've had Platinum passes to Cedar Fair parks for several years now. We loved Wildwater Kingdom water park until it closed last year. We vacation and frequent Cedar Point often, and we were just there for the first time this season on Saturday. We've also been to King's Island, Disney World, and Universal Studios.

I used to be afraid of everything, but now there is nothing I won't ride. My favorite coasters are Millennium Force, Maverick, and Top Thrill Dragster. I also love MaxAir which is a spinning, swinging donut thing. Crazy fun! We also spend a lot of time at Pet Farm visiting the animals which is great for my non-coaster loving daughter.

I'll enjoy going while they are young, but they are already getting schedules which prevent us from going all the time. It's a phase in our family life that I'm having fun with while it lasts.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like amusement parks because I have a daughter now. I love to see her face of excitement whenever we tell her that we will visit one. This June, we will visit DW for the first time on her birthday week and she's so ecstatic!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am not a fan of rides, but my son loves them so we go.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

- Do you go to amusement parks and which is your favorite? I do. I love them all here. Sea World, Disney, Universal, IOA, Busch Garden.

- Do you go for you, for the kids, or both? Mostly for me though I have not been in awhile.

- Do you like thrill rides (roller coasters, spinny rides, etc)? Love them!!

- What's your absolute favorite ride? Most hated? I have a couple...Kumba, Montu, Gwazi at Busch Gardens. (Gwazi is gone now), Kraken, Manta, Journey to Atlantis at Sea World. Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain & Splash Mountain @Disney. The Hulk, Spiderman, Doctor Doom Fearfall, & Dragon Challenge at IOA. I do not like ferris wheels or rides which go almost upside down without a chest strap to hold me in

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I do love amusement parks, but especially Disney. We visit Disneyland every year (at least) and have a blast. We usually go as a family, but sometimes, my hubby and I will go by ourselves. We do on occasion visit other parks, but prefer DL due to how well everything works - sure there may be lines and it may be expensive, but Disney will even make the line interesting with things to look at, and the employees seem happy to see you. There is always something new.
As to the kind of ride itself - I prefer smooth roller coasters to dropping rides. Spinning I will do, but don't like to overdo it. I am just as happy on little, funny ones - like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with many that Disney is special. I love that it has such a variety of rides and since I don't love thrill rides, that it is still fun for those who don't. To me, rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted House are perfect -- really fun and different but they don't beat you up. I do like some of the faster rides -- like Indiana Jones but even that one is a little too rough. I always wish I could ride through more slowly to take my time and see everything!
Old 06-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

- Do you go to amusement parks and which is your favorite? Yes we do amusement parks. Probably Dorney Park because it's the closest to where we used to live in PA and had season passes for the family.

Kids, hands down. I don't care for them and think they are a waste of money, but I go to chaperone my kids.

Not really. I could do without them, however I tolerate them better than my husband so I'm normally the parent that will ride with my kids. I have noticed the ones that go backwards give me terrible motion sickness and sick migraines, so I steer clear of those ones.

Favorite - Space Mountain (Disney)
Hated - Hercules (My first roller coaster at Dorney Park as a child)

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 06-08-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
- Do you go to amusement parks and which is your favorite? Yes we do amusement parks. Probably Dorney Park because it's the closest to where we used to live in PA and had season passes for the family.

Kids, hands down. I don't care for them and think they are a waste of money, but I go to chaperone my kids.

Not really. I could do without them, however I tolerate them better than my husband so I'm normally the parent that will ride with my kids. I have noticed the ones that go backwards give me terrible motion sickness and sick migraines, so I steer clear of those ones.

Favorite - Space Mountain (Disney)
Hated - Hercules (My first roller coaster at Dorney Park as a child)
I went to college near there (Lehigh) but for some reason never made it to Dorney. The first roller coaster I remember as a kid was one of those smaller ones that doesn't go that fast but has the 90 degree turns so you feel like you are going to plummet to your death a lot. Those ones still terrify me. I'm not a huge fan of the monster roller coasters that just go fast and flip upside down and all that. Gives me a headache.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would almost rather go anywhere else..
Old 06-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We go to Disney World about twice a year. We also enjoy their water parks. We have gone without the kids before, so I guess it's for us and them! I like most thrill rides, but not crazy stuff like they have at some of the more "rollercoaster" type parks. I do *not* like country fair rides (I imagine they are close to falling apart and NOT safe) or huge crazy-make-you-puke rollercoaster rides at places like Busch Gardens. I used to when I was younger, but now I'm just not interested in feeling like I'm going to die. LOL Not fun anymore. My favorite ride is the Tower of Terror in Disney's Hollywood Studios. I also love the People Mover. Haha... and the Haunted Mansion. Least favorite is Space Mountain, it's in the dark and soooo old that it actually HURTS to ride it.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I loved amusement parks as a kid; we used to go to Six Flags over Texas, and I have so many happy memories. But right after we got married, we went to one with my bff & her husband, and it was the worst. I think my equilibrium has gotten off since I became an adult, and rides just make me sick. We went to Disney world with my parents & brother's family a couple of years ago, and I found the whole experience to be super stressful. I would rather be at the beach or in the mountains any day.