Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Where we live....

This forum is pretty much the only social media I do, I find it fascinating that most of you live in the US and live such a different life to mine.

I live in Australia and it's boiling hot most of the year, we never get snow, it hardly ever even gets cold enough for heating - so to me looking at all your photos is so fun partly because they look so different to where I live.

Then today something happened that I thought you all might find interesting about where I live.... right now I am waiting for my daughter to come out of school, this is in the tree above my head

I'm not sure how clear the photo is but that fluffy little bump in the fork of the tree is a koala, at school in the middle of the day less than one hour away from Australia's 3rd largest city lol

Just because I love seeing how different people live, what's something interesting going on at your place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

I live in Washington where it rains 9 months out of the year. We maybe get 1-2 weeks of a heat wave and this winter we got almost a foot of snow. I love Portland (right across the river maybe a 10 minute drive) but in the spring all the cherry blossoms bloom and it is so beautiful.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well I'm in Australia too and suffering through a very hot summer. Last weekend we had a monster 3 day heatwave with highest ever recorded temperatures (around 48 dec C (118F) not far from where I live) and my state (NSW) was the hottest place on the planet last Sunday!

We do get a winter down here but never snow in Sydney.

We also have deadly snakes and spiders all around us (the snakes are mainly near the creeks which are about 100m down the street), but we know what to look for and to be careful so they're rarely a problem.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This also always amazes me. I love that we are such an international community. I live in the US but near Phoenix, Arizona where it is also HOT most of the year. If we get snow, it's an anomaly. I guess that this area is known mostly for the iconic Saguaro cactus, which only grows here in the Sonoran desert and in Mexico.

Other than the desert, it is mostly suburbs. Stucco houses with tile roofs and lots of pools.

My daughter absolutely loves koalas so she would freak out if she saw one in the wild!

Last edited by DawnMarch; 02-22-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Utah (a western state in the US) and we live at the base of the rocky mountains, near a big lake (Utah Lake). This is the view across the lake looking at our town.

And we have a big festival here in March. The Festival of Colors at the Krishna Temple just down the street. I was told we should go on vacation that weekend lol! A LOT of people attend.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
I live in Utah (a western state in the US) and we live at the base of the rocky mountains, near a big lake (Utah Lake). This is the view across the lake looking at our town.
OMG that is just beautiful
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydensmommy217 View Post
I live in Washington where it rains 9 months out of the year. We maybe get 1-2 weeks of a heat wave and this winter we got almost a foot of snow. I love Portland (right across the river maybe a 10 minute drive) but in the spring all the cherry blossoms bloom and it is so beautiful.

I love those cherry trees!! we have a tropical version of that but nowhere near as pink - and ours have killer thorns lol

Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I live in Florida so I feel like you're describing our weather too. No snow, no cold, hot...but I love it.

Florida is known for its alligators and this one just made the news all over for being so big and hanging out on a walking path at Circle B Bar Reserve which is 10 minutes from my house. We've walked these trails a lot, but I don't know if I would have stood there watching like these people did. I have caught smaller ones while fishing though...not what I was trying to catch.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Kansas, smack in the middle of the US. We have all 4 seasons, sometimes all in the same day! I grew up in Arizona so this was a big adjustment for me.

I live in the country on 10 acres of land surrounded by pastures. We frequently see a variety of animals including possum, skunk, coyote and deer as well as tons of birds, we have a lot of hawks around and have saw bald eagles too. The deer fascinate me most, and this was the view in our yard the other morning...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi2uacwafs...20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Apparently I need to do this from my computer instead of my iPad.

Last edited by Sherri Tierney; 02-16-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post

WOW!!! I could live on that view!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
WOW!!! I could live on that view!
It really is beautiful! I HATE the snow but those snow covered mountains sure are pretty to look at. I really just hate driving in it. And we have all 4 seasons (sometimes in 1 day ha!). Fall is even more beautiful in my opinion. I love it.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live in Alberta, Canada - about an hour and a half away from Banff & the Rocky Mountains. We have 2 seasons - winter and road construction lol We typically have snow on the ground before Halloween and it continues until March-April (it may melt a bit in February like it is right now, but it won't be the end of it!) Winter can be brutal - a few weeks ago we had temperatures in the -40's (celsius) for a week, we don't do anything when it gets that cold. Our summers are gorgeous though and filled with many hours sunshine - 5 am til 10 pm typically and you can't get us inside lol

This is from Banff National Park, and my favourite place ever (Morraine Lake)

Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My part of Australia is completely different to yours. We've actually had a really cold summer and the nights are already getting a chill to them (we completely missed the recent heatwave thank goodness). I can count on one hand the amount of days we've had above 30 degrees this summer. We only have to travel about 30 minutes to reach snow in the Winter and occasionally get snow in our city. A mountain on the island even got snow a week ago. We probably use heating at least half the year and have had to start using it again the past few days.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's interesting to see where everyone lives! We're in Virginia, in a suburb of Washington, DC. We have 4 seasons, though you wouldn't know it from this winter. (Average snowfall here is about 15 inches a year, but we've had less than 2 inches this winter. There have also been years we've had 30+ inches.)

Looking through my photos, I realized I have lots of pictures of my kids in landmark spots around DC and in our neighborhood, but they're much more photos of my kids and less so photos of the surroundings. I'll have to work on that!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
WOW! I could live here too! I could see myself opening my window and having coffee on the other side!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I live in Alberta, Canada - about an hour and a half away from Banff & the Rocky Mountains. We have 2 seasons - winter and road construction lol We typically have snow on the ground before Halloween and it continues until March-April (it may melt a bit in February like it is right now, but it won't be the end of it!) Winter can be brutal - a few weeks ago we had temperatures in the -40's (celsius) for a week, we don't do anything when it gets that cold. Our summers are gorgeous though and filled with many hours sunshine - 5 am til 10 pm typically and you can't get us inside lol

-40 Celsius???!!! i didn't even know that was a thing

Last edited by Kitartas; 02-16-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post
I live in Florida so I feel like you're describing our weather too. No snow, no cold, hot...but I love it.

Florida is known for its alligators and this one just made the news all over for being so big and hanging out on a walking path at Circle B Bar Reserve which is 10 minutes from my house. We've walked these trails a lot, but I don't know if I would have stood there watching like these people did. I have caught smaller ones while fishing though...not what I was trying to catch.
WOW! we don't get anything like that i wouldn't know what to do - probably not stand there like that haha

we do have Dave the kangaroo in our estate though, our house is in the same street as the golf course that he hangs out at. I've come up on him when i've been out walking the dog at 4-5am he just stands there and stares at you - it's pretty unnerving

Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm enjoying looking at this thread, so many varied landscapes and locations! I live in Melbourne, Australia, and while our Summer hasn't been as hot as Kim's in NSW or as cool as Angie's in TAS, it's been pretty stable and warm (lots of 25-35C days).

Something interesting about where I live? We're right on the edge of suburbia and can be in the heart of cafe culture in a 10min drive in one direction, and in the bush 15min out the other side! To me, that's the best of both worlds and I like our location a lot. As we're in an elevated area, we get some beautiful sunsets (though mostly in the Winter).

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I live in Kentucky (United States) which is known as the Bluegrass State (no our grass is not blue - it is a type of grass seed). We have the 4 seasons and we also can get all in one day.

We are actually known for the Kentucky Derby so horses is our big thing. We also use to be heavy in the tobacco industry but that has fizzled out when the government started controlling who could grow it.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I live in Beijing, the capital city of China. This is my husband's hometown and a very fast, ever-changing, skyscrapers and apartments jungle. It's historical as well as very modern. It used have more bicycles than other transportations, but now, there are more cars (AND people) than the eyes can see!

We have 4 seasons here, but spring is usually more like winter than spring, but it's still pretty with all the cherry blossoms and other plants coming back to life.

It's one of the VERY FEW countries in this world that block Instagram, FB, twitter, Youtube and a lot of other websites.

Here is one of the famous historical landmark that is right at the center of the city, The Forbidden City.

I've been living here for 5 years and went there 4 times and am still unsuccessful to get inside the palace. People say you have to queue at 6am to buy the entrance tickets. I don't think I would be willing to do that :P

And the famous Great Wall. This one is 2 hours drive from the city. We went there a few weeks ago.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I live in Germany... in the very Northern part, where the weather is grey and wet for most of the year. We pretty much get neither heat waves nor snow, so it's... well, a little drab.
I live in the middle of a big city, close to the Central Station, so it's 100% city with not much nature in sight. I love the rich cultural "scene" of my hometown, there is always so much going on, and I adore the music, the ballet, the opera... plus: there are so many people around me that I really love, so living here is actually pretty amazing. At least it feels exactly right to me .

Last edited by Nixenkind; 02-17-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am in the middle of Canada in Saskatchewan. We are wide open prairies and huge fields as far as the eye can see. In July when all of the canola fields are blooming in looks like everything is covered in blankets of bright yellow flowers. The best part of living here is our amazing skies. Sunrises and sunsets last for about 30 min and are bright and colourful year round. I love with beautiful skies during our super cold winters (-40 C is unfortunately all to common for us) and the strong winds just blow the snow around...

This is a cell photo out my back door of a sunrise, photos never do it justice but still looks nice
[IMG][/IMG]

There is so much wildlife around here as well. I see a number of animals on my drives to and from work everyday. Moose, whitetail deer, eagles, foxes, coyotes, wolves, rabbits are all really common. This fox had it's den just on the other side of our fence for a few years. (You can see the power box in the sunrise photo to see how close to the yard this really is.)It was so neat to watch the fox pups play in the spring.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Love this thread! I am really enjoying seeing things from where everyone lives! Makes me want to do some serious travelling!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I live in Dordrecht, The Netherlands. And my hometown is the oldest city in Holland (not The Netherlands, there is a difference )
We also have 4 seasons, but our weather is kinda weird too. We've had snow last weekend and it was 12 degrees about 2 days later.
We don't have mountains covered in snow or creepy crocs crossing our path. We do live in a cute city (there are tons of tourists in summer) and a lovely national park (de Biesbosch) nearby.

And we live near Kinderdijk, with the famous windmills

Old 02-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's some pics from where we live Missouri. We have trees, lots of trees with lots of lakes, rivers and ponds. Lol. Here's what's in the pics:
First pic is a google map view - see, trees!!
Then a pic of me and girls at a state park - overlooking trees and a river

IMG_2054

Next is a pond where we fish, and a lake where we fish
IMG_2050

This is a river where we fish and a close by cave - that overlooks a river(you can see that if you get close to the edge) and lots more trees.
IMG_2051

Lastly, here are some pics of the wildlife we get in our area that come with all that water and trees
IMG_2053

So, it is really pretty here, in the summer and fall, but also pretty boring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by breakingbrie; 02-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are so many seriously gorgeous places in this thread!! And I'm insanely jealous of anyone who gets to see a mountain view daily
Old 02-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WOW!! All these photos and places!! I loved seeing the native animals (koalas and kangaroos, how cool!) and the seasons and scenery that you all have been blessed!

We are currently living in Colorado. I can look out my office window at home and see Pike's Peak. It's been easy to teach our children direction, as well as figure out where to go, or where we are based of the position of the Rocky Mountains. We live in high altitude and after a year of living here, we are still learning how to bake! Outside of what we've experienced from last year, I believe we have four seasons. Although last year, around this time as we were moving here, we had 12+ inches of snow. This year, we've been having 60-80 degree temperatures! We had a massive hail storm that looked like it snowed in the middle of July. We just got done having hurricane 2-category winds. I've been told all this stuff is very unseasonable. However, only being stationed here a year, I don't know!

What's to do around here? LOTS!! Check out what's available near Pike's Peak! So many free things to see and do! Our goal this Spring is to do the Manitou Incline, where you walk up the mountain. I've been told you can start at the base with 80 degree temperatures, but by the time you reach the top, it could be snowing!! You have to walk up and down it as there is no way to have family members pick you up at the top! Hopefully we can do it and our family can do it!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitartas View Post
-40 Celsius???!!! i didn't even know that was a thing
Yup ... That's actually pretty much the same in 'F I think? That's where it meets up. We get to that a few times a year, thankfully not much more often than that!!!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

This thread is making me wish I play lottery and if I ever win, I'll go around the world and visit every corner of it!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I live in southern Illinois. It is quite different from our northern part of the state. I think the only thing in common is the corn fields. We have a lot of outdoors type activities here with fishing, hunting, boating, cliff jumping, trails/hiking, horse trails, ATV trails, wine trails, etc. We have a lot of state parks and we sit right along the Shawnee National Forest. Here are some pictures (not all mine) from the area right around me. There is so so much more to southern Illinois though...

Bald Knob Cross- It sits up high and has an amazing view from where it is located.

Cave-in-Rock

Chester, IL Home of Popeye

Fern Clyffe State Park

Fort Massac

Garden of the Gods

Giant City State Park

KinKaid Lake (and Spillway area)

Metropolis, IL Big on Superman

Snake Road

Random Pictures from the Area

Some Wildlife

Last edited by Becca Bonneville; 02-18-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ah, for some reason, Becca, I can't see your pics! But, we drive home to Ohio often, and go through Illinois. We picked up a travel magazine at a rest stop once, and I have to say I was surprised at all the beautiful places and things to do there!! Makes me want to visit
Old 02-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
Ah, for some reason, Becca, I can't see your pics! But, we drive home to Ohio often, and go through Illinois. We picked up a travel magazine at a rest stop once, and I have to say I was surprised at all the beautiful places and things to do there!! Makes me want to visit
Sorry about that! I think they should be visible now!

There really is so so much more to Illinois than Chicago. Not that Chicago is bad but so many people don't realize how different the rest of the state is.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can see them now! Gorgeous!! Snake Road and cave in rock look like my kind of places!!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am from the suburbs of eastern North Dakota. It's not known for being a very pretty place. It's very, very flat with very few trees. We get harsh winters. I took this picture just a couple weeks ago right near my house. If you go east or west a couple hours, it is much prettier, but this is where the majority of the people live.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPOW9YxA...en-by=lovely1m
In case you can't see my Instagram, this is one I took a couple years ago in the same area (with a sundog):

Last edited by lovely1m; 02-19-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Aiken, SC which is about 20 miles from Augusta, GA, home of both the world-famous Masters golf tournament and James Brown. We have about two weeks of fall-like weather, and then it goes straight to winter. We're lucky though that it doesn't normally get too cold here, even during winter. We hardly ever get snow, and when we do, it's a BIG deal (As in, the whole town shuts down). We usually have a wonderful spring with lots of azaleas and other trees and shrubs blooming. It really is beautiful and one of my favorite times of year. Summer is HOT and humid. This is a photo of one of the major landmarks in my town. It's called South Boundary Avenue, and I pretty much drive down it every day to pick my daughter up from school.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could say I live in a beautiful place so like so many of you LOL but I live in Central CA (USA) about 90 minutes from San Francisco (where I was born) and 90 south of our state capital, Sacramento. Even though I live in the city we are surrounded by agriculture as Central Ca provides something like 50% of the nations produce. I grew up in San Jose about 60 minutes from where I currently live and 20 years ago we moved to Tracy. I like the city for all it has to offer but living here has benefits too. Probably the biggest claim to fame for me is that I am only 5 1/2 hours (6 hours if my hubby is driving) north of Disneyland (and nothing but agriculture the whole way)...my home away from home. I go there as often as I can...in fact I am thinking about a trip next weekend LOL

Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

There is some amazing photos in this thread and so many places to put on my bucket list of places to visit.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing where everyone lives! Makes me feel like it's not very pretty here in Ohio. I'll have to dig out some photos to share.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also owill be in Washington, but t is not my native state. I call it home for now, but we move a lot so I've called many places home.

ive been here for three years and I have to say the best part about Washington is all the rainbows. It rains a lot, so we have lots of opportunities for rainbows. They're almost always full and almost always double and SUPER bright!

Old 02-23-2017, 04:36 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I also love seeing where you all live. So divers!
Ik found a short movie about my hometown. I love living here because it has so much history!
So when you plan to visit the Netherlands (you should, we're great. It's true! ) don't forget Dordrecht!

https://youtu.be/x_2jAs3Ggrk

Last edited by Fioontje; 02-23-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

woww love seeing all the beautiful views and images. Some are really breathtaking

I live in the Netherlands - Zwolle. We have a lot of historical buildings in our city and each year there are festivals to honor and celebrate this history. there is music everywhere in the city. also above the water where you can go watch and listen in boats

and landscape is mostly flat with lots of water

and in the spring our tulips

Last edited by wendyp; 02-23-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing where everyone lives! Makes me feel like it's not very pretty here in Ohio. I'll have to dig out some photos to share.
I'm from Ohio! Graduated high school in Shelby, a tiny little town. It was always just Ohio lol, never thought to really explore it . I love though when Facebook friends from other places visit Ohio, because then I get to see pics of it through someone who is visiting cool places and exploring. I've seen some cool stuff that way, and places I'd like to see if/when we end up back there.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm from Ohio too! It IS just Ohio, but it's my favorite place on earth, and I've visited lots of amazing places in the world. Nothing beats June in Ohio, except maybe October. We have some beautiful parks and fun places, and of course, Lake Erie. There really is no place like home.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Bonneville View Post
I live in southern Illinois. It is quite different from our northern part of the state. I think the only thing in common is the corn fields. We have a lot of outdoors type activities here with fishing, hunting, boating, cliff jumping, trails/hiking, horse trails, ATV trails, wine trails, etc. We have a lot of state parks and we sit right along the Shawnee National Forest. Here are some pictures (not all mine) from the area right around me. There is so so much more to southern Illinois though...
Oh gosh! I lived in Illinois, Chicago suburbs for 25 years and didn't not realize how beautiful down south is.....
Old 02-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I live in Northern Virginia, in Ashburn, which is known for large number of data centers. Approx. 60% of world wide internet traffic flows through Ashburn we are in the DC metropolitan area, only about 40 min car ride to DC. But also minutes away from the country, vineyards and historical Civil War battle grounds

hostorial stone house near battle grounds:

Shenandoah National Park:

Bluemont vineyard, one of many in Northern Virginia
Old 02-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

monkika that location is breathtaking as well woww!