Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default OLW 2019

I know the new year is still over 2 months away, but last week I started thinking about my OLW for next year.
This year my word is 'home'. It took me quite some time to decide, so I didn't think much of it in the beginning of the year, but the word helped me a lot, it guided me through the year. And it meant more to me than I ever could have tought.

For 2019, the word 'heal' is speaking to me, but I'm open for other words as well.

How about you? Have you been thinking about your word for next year? Did your 2018 help you this year?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I didn't do OLW this year, but I'm thinking for 2019 mine might be "Christ".

I want to know Him better, and have my children know Him better
I want to work on developing Christ-like attributes
I want to study his life and teachings more in depth
I want to serve as He would want me to
It will remind me to think less about myself and more about others
It will help me see others as He would, and maybe become more patient and understanding

It encapsulates a whole lot of things really. I've been trying to align my life to His teachings over the last few months, and I like where it's taking me. I'm already receiving blessings from it, and want to continue along this path.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I believe I intended on my OLW for 2018 to be Balance....well I didn't do very well with it so perhaps I'll give that one another try this year. There are so many that I could use though.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Is this a typical american thing olw ? I know sarah is from belgium, but i guess you got this from this forum ?
Never heard of this in the netherlands
Old 10-22-2018, 11:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sarah, heal sounds perfect!!

Yikes! I am looking forward to a new year & a fresh start, but I'm not ready for it! LOL

I guess I should put my thinking cap on!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

2018 is/was Cultivate.

Next year will be Exhale. We dealt with a lot of things this year: cancer (my husband), adrenal fatigue (me), masters program, etc. So next year will be a lot of exhaling, taking deep breaths, having more family time, traveling, etc. My friend already made me a necklace with the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatasluis View Post
Is this a typical american thing olw ? I know sarah is from belgium, but i guess you got this from this forum ?
Never heard of this in the netherlands
I believe Ali Edwards started it. Some people do it, some don't. I never have.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

This year's word for me was "New"- which hasn't worked out that bad, actually .
Next year, I'm going with "Smile". 2019 is going to be a tough, exciting, challenging year, that could turn out pretty much anything between amazing and disastrous...
In May we'll have Thea's confirmation, and she has developed her own CRAZY party-concept... no idea how my family is going to react, but thrilled to find out.
My husband and me will be married 20 years in August, he's gonna celebrate his 50th birthday in November- I see another HUGE party coming up.
The most important thing for me: Nathan, my youngest son who's an Aspeger autist, will enter high school (5th grade in Germany) in
August, and we will spend all year preparing the transition. It could work out well, and it could, of course, do not.
Since I'm a born worrier, "Smile" for me means waiting in patience for the things to come, taking one day at a time and under no circumstances losing my good humor while I'm at it.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My OLW for 2018 is #extra, and it has worked out pretty well for me. I am spending the last 90 days of the year working on transforming myself physically via healthy eating & daily exercise. It's pretty #extra.

With that said (and taking into consideration words I've had in the past), I think my 2019 OLW will be something like "cherish" or "adore." I have spent a lot of the last few years working, working, working on all sorts of different things in my life, and I really want to take a breather next year & relax a little & enjoy the results of the work I have put in.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My OLW for 2018 is/was Intentional. It has been a good reminder this year on reacting with intention, being intentional in my relationships, etc.

I am thinking about Growth for 2019. But I'm not entirely sure yet.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My word for 2018 was "satisfied", and I feel like I've really walked in that. I am so much more satisfied with my life and with who I am than I was before. In fact, I'm so satisfied that I may not even have a word for 2019. : )
Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have done a word for the last couple of years and one word "Focus" definitely helped me.

I think for 2019 I need to ENJOY life and the little things more (not stress out over every thing) so I think 2019 will be ENJOY.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My 2018 theme was cultivate, and my ways of being were intentional, courageous, connected, serene, and persistent.

It helped me in the New Year to point myself in the right direction, but as usual my focus has waned a bit as the year went on. I’ve chosen a word for the past several years. It’s actually become something my husband and I do together.

I haven’t chosen a word for this year yet, but Holiday Council starts in a couple weeks, I’ll start my process then!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had ZERO intention of having a word this year and then on there was a post talking about it and what started off as a joke actually turned into my word for this upcoming year and I have to say I'm super excited about it!

My word will be Cheers. I love that it is a simple and lighthearted and fun word.. In years past I think my problem with choosing a word was I tried to take these big serious words and I thought somehow they would change who I am..

This past year has been extremely difficult with so many things thrown at me that I forgot to celebrate the good things that did happen. I'm going to use this word to just remember the little (and big) things that are good that happen in 2019 so that I can focus on that more than the not so good things. Just little cheers all throughout the year. I really love it.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I had ZERO intention of having a word this year and then on there was a post talking about it and what started off as a joke actually turned into my word for this upcoming year and I have to say I'm super excited about it!

My word will be Cheers. I love that it is a simple and lighthearted and fun word.. In years past I think my problem with choosing a word was I tried to take these big serious words and I thought somehow they would change who I am..

This past year has been extremely difficult with so many things thrown at me that I forgot to celebrate the good things that did happen. I'm going to use this word to just remember the little (and big) things that are good that happen in 2019 so that I can focus on that more than the not so good things. Just little cheers all throughout the year. I really love it.
I love this idea, Kristin!!
Every year I've tried to pick a word that represents an area I need to work on and then I get overwhelmed and leave it in the dust after a few months.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My 2018 word was "Mindful". It's been a work in progress. I've been very mindful before I speak and act, however some times emotions got the better of me. But overall, I think I did very well being mindful this year!

For 2019. I think I'm making my OLW "Hope" because I have a lot of hope that God will work things out and even if they don't go the way I hope, that God is still in control of the situations and I give it all to Him.

hope
/hōp/Submit
noun
1. a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

2. a feeling of trust.

verb
1. want something to happen or be the case.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 12-02-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Not sure if I set one this year but believe it or not, I actually needed it.
This year had lots of emotions flowing through me yet the "happy" ones didn't last longer.

Rather than one word, I want 2019 motto to be: the perspective of being positively intentional.

Had the chance to see things differently this year, but after so much thinking, I came to the conclusion that I made the wrong decisions and just took the easiest way out.

So I want to work on my perspective, instead of believing everything is wrong or that I am failure, I want stay positive and to be intentional, to do things with purpose to achieve new things without losing my mind or forgetting the reason why I started at first.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm still thinking about "heal" as my word for next year.
An other word I'm thinking about is "cherish".

Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't done OLW for the last few years. It's kind of like New Year's resolutions for me, something I commit to early on but forget about pretty quickly. I'm considering it for 2019, but I'm not sure yet if I'd follow through. If I do it, it will be something like "change" or "take a chance." I'm guilty of letting the status quo stand on some big things in my life. For years I've been telling myself that it's not the right time to change them yet; it will be easier when the kids are older and need a little less of my time. Every year they do get older, but that mythical "better" time never comes. It's time for me to either make my peace with living with the status quo forever or take the risk to try to change both things. And they will be risks--bridges would be burned, and there's a decent chance of the end result being worse than the current status quo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post

You KNOW that I LOVE this!!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I was a OLW failure this year. I've had great experiences with OLW in the past, so I'm thinking about what I want to do. It need to be something that doesn't put too much pressure on me . . . cause nothing will happen if I feel stressed by my word.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read this post earlier in the month but didn't reply. I've been thinking about what my word might be for this year... and struggling to narrow down the perfect word.

2019 will be my 10th year of choosing a word. I really think that doing so has helped me focus on areas of my life throughout each year. I don't put a word away when the year is over, rather I add a new word to the old words. I keep the new word at the forefront of my mind but the old words become part of who I am.

Here are the words I've used in the past....

2010 - Change
2011 - Simplify
2012 - Achieve
2013 - Intention
2014 - Balance
2015 - Nurture
2016 - Adventure
2017 - Shine
2018 - Today

Now I need a word for 2019! This past year I have tried to live in the present and think about today. In thinking about today, I also started looking to the future. I went back to college and made other changes in my life as well. There are still things left undone that bother me, and those are things I'd like to work on in 2019. I'm wondering if the word 'Focus' would help me zoom in on these things and keep them on my radar? I'm still thinking....

For the original poster - in 2015 when I chose the word nurture I nearly chose heal. I decided that I wanted to dig deeper than healing and I wanted to nurture my relationships, my home, my body, etc. That was a good year for me. It led me to our year of adventure where we bought a farm.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I finally settled on a theme and ways of being for next year...

My theme for 2019 is STAY GOLD

I will be PRESENT by:
Organizing my time
Setting realistic expectations
Eliminating distractions

I will maintain FOCUS by
Not starting new projects until I complete the task at hand
Giving 100% of my energy to each project
Dropping projects that don’t serve me anymore, guilt free

I will practice GRATITUDE by
Treasuring and documenting the things I am thankful for
Investing time and energy into strengthening my relationships
Reframing my mindset

I will be HONEST by
Expressing my true needs and limitations
Facing issues head-on instead or masking them in creature comforts
Owning up to my mistakes and proactively dealing with them

I will embrace SIMPLICITY by
Maintaining a clutter free environment
Creating more than I consume
Identifying the essential components in my life

Old 12-24-2018, 03:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I pick a word every year and this year I am leaning towards "build." There are a number of things in my life, relationships, health, confidence, etc. that could be built and improved upon.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have chosen a word in the past few years and in 2018 I did not do as well so I think I need to refocus on what I really want for the next year.

Guess the next week will be a little soul searching to figure out where I want to go and what I need for me.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My word for 2018 was supposed to be balance...however that only lasted so long before my entire life's balance was thrown off by the loss of my grandmother.
So I think for 2019 I'm going to attempt the same word; Balance but also add Heal or Restore to it. Sort of do a dual word for 2019.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So I wanted my 2019 OLW to be something "soft" like cherish or adore. Something I could sit back and cuddle with and appreciate what I have been doing the last few years to improve my life and my self.

But no.

My word is "hustle." It insists on being my word even when I (and it) knows that's a word I don't want because it means next year will be hard and painful and disciplined and not soft one little bit. It means another year of reaching and striving.

Sigh.

It's like praying for patience -- you know better than to do it because it means God will give you something to be patient about!

So I am already dreading 2019 a little but time will pass either way so I might as well put my head down and get to work because that is evidently what I need to do for another 12 months.

I can take it easy when I turn 40 in 2020, right?!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Neat idea! I actually hadn't heard of the OLW before this thread. My husband and I both liked the word "Finish" or "Complete" for 2019. We have so many projects that have been started over the years but not finished. So we both will be focusing on those this year.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done OLW in the past but haven't for the past couple years. I was just thinking about it earlier today and I think I might do it for 2019 and my word will be ME. Yep, it's time for life to be all about ME
Old 12-29-2018, 11:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've never done OLW before, but I love the idea. I think this may be my year. "Heal" is most definitely the right word for me right now... I'm trying to get over and let go of some painful things that occurred in the last year.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My OLW for 2018 was Thrive, but the year has flown by and I've had too many thoughts and too much to do so I never got the chance to thrive. Nor have I been good at spending time on my hobbies or anything towards my OLW.

This year I will be doing BREATHE as my OLW.
Breathe and find balance between all I have to do and what I want to do.
I've started yoga to find my break from work/motherhood.
I am doing a gratitude, mindfulness and a question a day journal to help me.
I am also going to focus my time and spend it on me, my family and the things I love doing instead of facebook and other social media. Less everyone else and more just us.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
My OLW for 2018 was Thrive, but the year has flown by and I've had too many thoughts and too much to do so I never got the chance to thrive. Nor have I been good at spending time on my hobbies or anything towards my OLW.

This year I will be doing BREATHE as my OLW.
Breathe and find balance between all I have to do and what I want to do.
I've started yoga to find my break from work/motherhood.
I am doing a gratitude, mindfulness and a question a day journal to help me.
I am also going to focus my time and spend it on me, my family and the things I love doing instead of facebook and other social media. Less everyone else and more just us.
Is the question a day journal something you bought, or did you find it online? I have a hard time journaling, but do well when I have a prompt. I would love to do something like this.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Is the question a day journal something you bought, or did you find it online? I have a hard time journaling, but do well when I have a prompt. I would love to do something like this.

I got it on amazon. It’s a “One question a day, 5 year journal” https://www.amazon.com/One-Question-...SSL&ref=plSrch

Old 12-30-2018, 04:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much, Christine!
Old 12-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I've decided on Transform for my word this year. There are so many areas of my life I have worked on, but I have yet to find a true transformation. I think it is time to focus on that!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Inseparable is my 2019 word. My 2018 word was commit and it was perfect.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:24 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My word is Implement. I have a lot of plans and project ideas, this is the year to actually make them happen!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

At first I thought I was going to redo my 2018 word, SOW, because I didn't do as much with that word as I wanted. Then I thought about GOALS but that didn't feel like my word. I've decided on ACCOMPLISH for my word for 2019. It really feels like my word and I'm excited to get a lot accomplished this year.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Tonight I finally figured out what I want mine to be, but I can't decide on the right word. I want to take initiative this year, to be more aggressive, hmmm, not aggressive but proactive, as in not waiting till the last minute and running around like a chicken with its head cut off to get stuff done. Is there a word that means "take initiative" besides "proactive", which makes me think about teenage acne...
Old 01-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Tonight I finally figured out what I want mine to be, but I can't decide on the right word. I want to take initiative this year, to be more aggressive, hmmm, not aggressive but proactive, as in not waiting till the last minute and running around like a chicken with its head cut off to get stuff done. Is there a word that means "take initiative" besides "proactive", which makes me think about teenage acne...
"anticipate" or "prepare"?

I do like "proactive" but now it is making me think about acne too. LOL.

Last edited by scrap2day; 01-03-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
moxie
ambition
drive
determination
intentional
Old 01-04-2019, 12:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm struggling. I cant decide between balance and restore. I need to find the balance again this year since last was so chaotic...and just got worse as the year went on. But I also lost my way massively with the death of my grandmother in August so I was thinking restore. Ahhh help lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Decisive?